Consumer Reports Blog on the Plug in Prius

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

Hints of EV bashing here too... Sigh...

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ca...echnology-that-doesnt-save-money-for-now.html

After two weeks of driving (and charging) the Prius Plug-in, it gave us the feel-good factor of driving green, but a reality check shows that it didn't save much money, at least in today's conditions. Not to mention the added time and inconvenience of plugging in to recharge.

The loud-and-clear conclusion is that right now, gasoline is simply too cheap in this country for a plug-in hybrid to make economic sense.

After two weeks of driving (and charging) the Prius Plug-in, it gave us the feel-good factor of driving green, but a reality check shows that it didn't save much money, at least in today's conditions. Not to mention the added time and inconvenience of plugging in to recharge.
Talk about lazy people ...

The loud-and-clear conclusion is that right now, gasoline is simply too cheap in this country for a plug-in hybrid to make economic sense.
This is probably correct. We need to start putting some floor price or slowly increasing tax on gas.

I wonder about this with the Volt, given that it provides the same driving experience whether running on battery or gasoline. Surely everyone would plug it in at night, right? Well, if they bother to pull it into the garage, probably so. How many people might leave it in the driveway rather than pull it in to recharge and save a dollar of gasoline? Look out your window now and count the cars sitting outside garages.

Then there's charging at destination. How many people would park one or two blocks away from their destination at a recharging station, and then walk a block or two to their final destination to work or shop? Everyone you say? You whose Leaf won't give you the choice to spend a dollar on gasoline to avoid that walk. I've watched cars circle a parking lot, passing empty spaces, for 10 minutes waiting for a space right outside the store. (Worse, the store they were going to was a gym :)

DeaneG said:
That's my problem with a plug-in hybrid with limited electric capability. I'd never plug it in.

how about 40-60 miles of EV range? on an EXISTING Prius?
http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=23691

Estimated price: $13,500 installed.

Yes, it's expensive. No, it will never, ever, ever be able to pay for itself in fuel saving, but that's not the only reason to convert a Prius to a PHEV. Also, they have software that will allow the Prius to run up to 70MPH in pure EV mode (spins the ICE without injecting fuel and firing the engine, and opens the valves to lower compression resistance), of course you won't be getting 40-60 miles of EV range at 70MPH... This may be a good choice for people with existing Priu, who want an EV, but can live with the 40-60 mile range, and get some EV value.

Too little, too Late

If I recall Felix Kramer and his friends developed the first plug in Prius in 2003?(2) (4). This was not a secret project. What took Toyota so long!? A plug in Prius would of had years of waiting lists and high over MSRP if it came out when it should have in.2007/8/9. Now it's hardly more than a 'me too.'

Good article. It's just tough to face the fact that for going down the road as inexpensively as possible, a modestly priced/sized gasoline car is pretty much unbeatable. For now.

Here is the funny thing.

Plugin Prius has a 330lb battery pack i.e. more than 1/2 that of Leaf. But it gives 13 miles EV range i.e. 1/8th of Leaf :lol:

evnow said:
Here is the funny thing.

Plugin Prius has a 330lb battery pack i.e. more than 1/2 that of Leaf. But it gives 13 miles EV range i.e. 1/8th of Leaf :lol:

It's actually 3 separate packs, in the "demo" Plug in Prius's, and there is no evidence that this will be how the production 2012 PHEV is relesed. The packs add up to 5.2KW, so only 1/5th of the Leafs 24KW pack. One pack is for the hybrid only, and then there are 2 Lithium EV packs, that are swapped in by relays one at a time. Once they are exahusted, only the hybrid pack is used. the 13 miles is also an estimate, some have driven as much as 17 miles on the demostrator PHEV Prius.

On the plug in prius conversion kits from "PICC" (Plug In Conversions Corp), available at the end of THIS year, a 12.5KW kit is comming out with a 40-60 mile EV range, that is right in line with a 24KW pack for a 100 mile range. This kit is rumored to be around $13,500 installed. They are also rumored to be comming out with a 6KW kit for $7,500 with a 20-30 mile EV range.

mitch672 said:
It's actually 3 separate packs, in the "demo" Plug in Prius's, and there is no evidence that this will be how the production 2012 PHEV is relesed.

I'm just going by Toyota website.

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/prius-plug-in/

Prius PHV's lithium-ion batteries are lightweight and compact, weighing a total of just 330 lbs.
With a fully charged battery, Prius PHV can travel a maximum of approximately 13 miles in EV mode. Range will vary based on a variety of conditions and driving styles.

There is an entire forum subsection on "Priuschat" devoted to all issues PHEV:

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-phv-plug-in/

LTLFTcomposite said:
Good article. It's just tough to face the fact that for going down the road as inexpensively as possible, a modestly priced/sized gasoline car is pretty much unbeatable. For now.
That is the truth right there. I would have liked to see the Volt built along those lines with a simple electric motor for low speeds and a gas motor to power at highway speeds without a complicated mess of the transmission and other gunk.

walterbays said:

I wonder about this with the Volt, given that it provides the same driving experience whether running on battery or gasoline. Surely everyone would plug it in at night, right? Well, if they bother to pull it into the garage, probably so. How many people might leave it in the driveway rather than pull it in to recharge and save a dollar of gasoline? Look out your window now and count the cars sitting outside garages.

Then there's charging at destination. How many people would park one or two blocks away from their destination at a recharging station, and then walk a block or two to their final destination to work or shop? Everyone you say? You whose Leaf won't give you the choice to spend a dollar on gasoline to avoid that walk. I've watched cars circle a parking lot, passing empty spaces, for 10 minutes waiting for a space right outside the store. (Worse, the store they were going to was a gym :)

Excellent points, Walterbays. I think you've hit the nail on the head. The American psyche is such that some people will drive around a parking lot for 15 minutes to save 15 steps. :(

The EV spaces I see now seem to be a front row seat to access the door.
Of course the equipment needs an update.
Can we use those front green spots with our EV if the equipment is faulty?

We park two cars in our garage every night. There will be much more space when the F150 is out and the Leaf is in :cool:
I have always wondered why people park $80,000 worth of vehicles outside while the worthless junk fills the garage :roll:

Back