mtndrew1
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
I would not say Nissan is know for quality. LEAF- paint that almost blows off, spray on carpet, lots of parts not properly attached and thats on Japanese made cars...


Even though I bought my Leaf secondhand it seems more lovingly assembled than my Volt but not as well made as my Soul EV. The paint is indeed crap but the Leaf seems like a decently solid little car for the money (to me, sample of 1).
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6468
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
I would not say Nissan is know for quality. LEAF- paint that almost blows off, spray on carpet, lots of parts not properly attached and thats on Japanese made cars...


Even though I bought my Leaf secondhand it seems more lovingly assembled than my Volt but not as well made as my Soul EV. The paint is indeed crap but the Leaf seems like a decently solid little car for the money (to me, sample of 1).



I would call Nissan average quality but not high. Most auto makers are slacking in quality these days however.

mtndrew1
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:44 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
I would not say Nissan is know for quality. LEAF- paint that almost blows off, spray on carpet, lots of parts not properly attached and thats on Japanese made cars...


Even though I bought my Leaf secondhand it seems more lovingly assembled than my Volt but not as well made as my Soul EV. The paint is indeed crap but the Leaf seems like a decently solid little car for the money (to me, sample of 1).



I would call Nissan average quality but not high. Most auto makers are slacking in quality these days however.


This is my first Nissan so maybe my experience isn’t representative. In any event I’m curious to see how its build quality compares to my Model 3. The examples I’ve seen so far all have quite dramatically better panel and trim fitment than Tesla’s other models though I haven’t been inside a 3 yet.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 pm

If you don't want to wait, you can buy a 3 quickly.

Some poor schmuck has relisted his model 3 on EBAY three times, previous high bid, $45,300.00, currently asking for a starting bid of $55,000.00

2017 Black Tesla Model 3 Premium Long Range Battery Electric Car - No Waiting!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Tesla-Mod ... 65?vxp=mtr

~18 more listed for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks/60 ... 0model%203
no condition is permanent

mtndrew1
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Hmm if you switch it to show “sold” listings it looks like a bunch of poor schmucks made $15,000. I feel terrible for them.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Tesla-Model ... Sw88xaTBO8
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

GRA
Posts: 9215
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Via IEVS:
Tesla Model 3 Range Loss In Bitter Cold – Video
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-range-loss-bitter-cold-video/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13197
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am

mtndrew1 wrote:Based on the stout resale value of the Model S it seems you’re not the only one with that opinion.

If I remember reading an investor conference call transcript correctly (I am not an investor) the company anticipates the average model 3 transaction price to be about $43,000 once all options are available.


I am seeing S's NOT holding anywhere near good value.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorenfb
Posts: 1833
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:Based on the stout resale value of the Model S it seems you’re not the only one with that opinion.

If I remember reading an investor conference call transcript correctly (I am not an investor) the company anticipates the average model 3 transaction price to be about $43,000 once all options are available.


I am seeing S's NOT holding anywhere near good value.


As expected, given the previously mentioned Osborne Effect that the M3 will have on subsequent new and used sales of the MS.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 66K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6468
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 am

lorenfb wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:Based on the stout resale value of the Model S it seems you’re not the only one with that opinion.

If I remember reading an investor conference call transcript correctly (I am not an investor) the company anticipates the average model 3 transaction price to be about $43,000 once all options are available.


I am seeing S's NOT holding anywhere near good value.


As expected, given the previously mentioned Osborne Effect that the M3 will have on subsequent new and used sales of the MS.



Unlike Nissan and the LEAF.

User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am

lorenfb wrote:As expected, given the previously mentioned Osborne Effect that the M3 will have on subsequent new and used sales of the MS.


I agree that the M3 is having an effect, but it's not the Osborne Effect. The Osborne Effect would apply if the Model 3 was Model S version N+1. Instead, I think the effect is that a lot of people stretched their finances to get into a Model S (many of those in CPO vehicles) that they would not ordinarily have done. Now that the more affordable Model 3 is an option, that will cut into potential Model S sales. Not because of the promise of a newer version with better features, but rather a more appropriately priced vehicle for the demographic we are talking about. Those that can afford a Model S or X will continue to buy them. If anything, you can make the argument that the previous demand for Model S was artificially floated higher because of LACK of a Model 3, and now that upward pressure is receding.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”