Valdemar
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Maybe it is just me but if I were in the marked for a $60k car I'd rather get a relatively low-miles CPO MS for about the same price than a loaded M3.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
54.94AHr, SOH 86%, 130k miles
9kW Solar

mtndrew1
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Based on the stout resale value of the Model S it seems you’re not the only one with that opinion.

If I remember reading an investor conference call transcript correctly (I am not an investor) the company anticipates the average model 3 transaction price to be about $43,000 once all options are available.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6371
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:Oh crap those were holograms on the freeway this morning?! It looked like real people driving real cars they paid real money for!


Yes, don't drink the Kool aid.
Forum Moderator

edatoakrun
Posts: 5218
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:...The Model 3 already outsold the Leaf in the US in November and December of 2017, so will the Leaf ever outsell the Model 3 in a given month...

You do realize that the gen 2 LEAF in each of its first two months of production sold in higher numbers than the model 3 did in all of its first six months of "production" combined, don't you?

mtndrew1 wrote:Based on the stout resale value of the Model S...

You haven't looked at plummeting used Tesla model S prices lately, have you?
no condition is permanent

mtndrew1
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:...The Model 3 already outsold the Leaf in the US in November and December of 2017, so will the Leaf ever outsell the Model 3 in a given month...

You do realize that the gen 2 LEAF in each of its first two months of production sold in higher numbers than the model 3 did in all of its first six months of "production" combined, don't you?

mtndrew1 wrote:Based on the stout resale value of the Model S...

You haven't looked at plummeting used Tesla model S prices lately, have you?



That’s weird. My Nissan dealer tells me that none have been delivered to customers in the US up to this point and Nissan U.S.A. is bringing me a preproduction prototype to drive for an hour this coming Monday because no cars are on dealer lots.

Odd that Nissan showed a new car, ran out of the old ones, and has effectively had none to choose from for over four months! ZOMG! Ghosn hype machine! The new Leaf must be crap and full of production problems if the largest car factory in the whole country can’t pump out a refresh of an old car as fast as it can spit out a refreshed Rogue!!! WHAT IS GHOSN HIDING FROM US!!?!?!?

Edit: As for resale, the cheapest S I’m seeing on autotrader is damn near $40k with almost 100,000 miles on it and it’s five years old. Prices pop up quickly as mileage and age drop. Seems pretty dang stout to me.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6230
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:24 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:Odd that Nissan showed a new car, ran out of the old ones, and has effectively had none to choose from for over four months! ZOMG! Ghosn hype machine! The new Leaf must be crap and full of production problems if the largest car factory in the whole country can’t pump out a refresh of an old car as fast as it can spit out a refreshed Rogue!!! WHAT IS GHOSN HIDING FROM US!!?!?!?
:?: :?: :?:

Sorry for the OT, but one thing I learned about Nissan is that they do not ramp up manufacturing of a new (or redesigned) product in all their factories simultaneously. The prudent reason for this is that they do not want to duplicate mistakes in multiple locations. Even though there will be unique challenges at each factory due to the differences in the supply chains, there are many areas where the manufacturing lines are the same, and it makes sense to iron those out in Japan first before copying the lines elsewhere.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

mtndrew1
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:Odd that Nissan showed a new car, ran out of the old ones, and has effectively had none to choose from for over four months! ZOMG! Ghosn hype machine! The new Leaf must be crap and full of production problems if the largest car factory in the whole country can’t pump out a refresh of an old car as fast as it can spit out a refreshed Rogue!!! WHAT IS GHOSN HIDING FROM US!!?!?!?
:?: :?: :?:

Sorry for the OT, but one thing I learned about Nissan is that they do not ramp up manufacturing of a new (or redesigned) product in all their factories simultaneously. The prudent reason for this is that they do not want to duplicate mistakes in multiple locations. Even though there will be unique challenges at each factory due to the differences in the supply chains, there are many areas where the manufacturing lines are the same, and it makes sense to iron those out in Japan first before copying the lines elsewhere.


I was being facetious. You’re right and Nissan is of course taking a measured approach to build a quality product as they’re known for.

Put a Tesla badge on it though and you’d see the hysteria I sarcastically wrote above.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6230
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:29 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:I was being facetious.
Sorry, I totally missed that! :oops:
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

mtndrew1
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:I was being facetious.
Sorry, I totally missed that! :oops:


That means there’s a pretty solid chance I didn’t do a very good job delivering it!
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6371
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:04 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:Odd that Nissan showed a new car, ran out of the old ones, and has effectively had none to choose from for over four months! ZOMG! Ghosn hype machine! The new Leaf must be crap and full of production problems if the largest car factory in the whole country can’t pump out a refresh of an old car as fast as it can spit out a refreshed Rogue!!! WHAT IS GHOSN HIDING FROM US!!?!?!?
:?: :?: :?:

Sorry for the OT, but one thing I learned about Nissan is that they do not ramp up manufacturing of a new (or redesigned) product in all their factories simultaneously. The prudent reason for this is that they do not want to duplicate mistakes in multiple locations. Even though there will be unique challenges at each factory due to the differences in the supply chains, there are many areas where the manufacturing lines are the same, and it makes sense to iron those out in Japan first before copying the lines elsewhere.


I was being facetious. You’re right and Nissan is of course taking a measured approach to build a quality product as they’re known for.

Put a Tesla badge on it though and you’d see the hysteria I sarcastically wrote above.


I would not say Nissan is know for quality. LEAF- paint that almost blows off, spray on carpet, lots of parts not properly attached and thats on Japanese made cars...
Forum Moderator

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”