2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

I started this table in another thread but I think it has reached a point where I can bring it out to full light. As more information or errors emerge I'll update this OP. Please refrain from quoting the table since I have no way of updating the table in a quote.

Last updated: 3/1/2019
Change log:
1/25: Auto Emergency braking added to 'S' and 'SV' models
3/14: AEB speed differences noted
3/1/19: SR is live ! Packages updated

uc

The table is still wrong, in that it uses the un-optioned SV, giving the impression that things like a dual voltage EVSE and Pro Pilot are only available on the SL. In fact you can get everything except leather seat covers and the little solar panel in the SV. You need to use a symbol for "optional" as most consumer and car publications would do. Since you obviously aren't familiar with the option packages, you need to get familiar with them.

LeftieBiker said:
In fact you can get everything except leather seat covers and the little solar panel in the SV.
So how much is Nissan charging for leather seats and the little solar panel? I.e. what is the MSRP delta between comparable SL and SV configurations?

Cheers, Wayne

It is something like $3k, IIRC. You get more things standard on the SL, though, like automatic lights and the dual voltage EVSE. My point was that the SV can be equipped like an SL, except with no leather or solar panel. And you can have a better equipped SV than a base SL.

If these weren't both EVs, nobody would even compare them or consider them in the same market niche. As EVs become more pervasive across all market segments, the LEAF (or it's successor) will be compared to other cars instead, as will the M3. I get that right now, EV buyers will look at both but will be unlikely to do so a couple of years from now when other choices emerge.

Tesla should stick to the luxury EV market, where they can compete and have a leadership position. They are going to face huge competition in the mass produced product lines, as other manufacturers will undercut them on price.

I think that the real problem with the M3 is that they tried to build a sedansportscarluxuryminicoupe and they ended up with something that highlights some of the downsides of each style. Spartan interior, harsh ride, mediocre fit and finish - all for better performance and range. It's another near(?) miss like the Bolt. In fact, this topic should be comparing the Bolt as well, because it's more like the M3 than is the Leaf Too.

SageBrush said:
jonathanfields4ever said:
All models of the Leaf have automatic emergency braking.
Are you sure ? It is listed in the 'SV' tech package

Perhaps the American versions don't have it as standard equipment, but it's listed for all trim levels in the Japanese brochure I'm looking at now. From lowest to highest, their levels are S, X, and G. They appear to match up pretty well with those offered in America as far as I can tell. The only differences I can spot are that leather seats are still an option even at the highest level for a Japanese Leaf, while heated front seats are standard across all levels.

Edit: From the Nissan website - "Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is standard on model year 2018 Rogue/Rogue Sport, Altima, Murano, LEAF, Pathfinder, Maxima and Sentra vehicles."

SageBrush said:
All models of the Leaf have automatic emergency braking.
Are you sure ? It is listed in the 'SV' tech package

Perhaps the American versions don't have it as standard equipment, but it's listed for all trim levels in the Japanese brochure I'm looking at now. From lowest to highest, their levels are S, X, and G. They appear to match up pretty well with those offered in America as far as I can tell. The only differences I can spot are that leather seats are still an option even at the highest level for a Japanese Leaf, while heated front seats are standard across all levels.
Gotcha.

I'll try to amend the title to emphasize the table is for US LEAFS

Yes, Automatic Emergency Braking is standard equipment on all U.S. Leaf models:

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/configure/

iPlug said:
Yes, Automatic Emergency Braking is standard equipment on all U.S. Leaf models:
OK. I looked again, the SV Tech package has
"Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection [*]"
Table corrected

alozzy said:
If these weren't both EVs, nobody would even compare them or consider them in the same market niche. As EVs become more pervasive across all market segments, the LEAF (or it's successor) will be compared to other cars instead, as will the M3. I get that right now, EV buyers will look at both but will be unlikely to do so a couple of years from now when other choices emerge.

Tesla should stick to the luxury EV market, where they can compete and have a leadership position. They are going to face huge competition in the mass produced product lines, as other manufacturers will undercut them on price.

^ So much this - I am sick and tired of seeing every new EV that comes to market compared to Tesla, it's just not realistic. It's like comparing a new optioned Toyota Camry to a Porsche Panamera or something. One is a true mass market vehicle and the other has established itself as a high dollar luxury brand for a niche market. The Chevrolet Bolt is about the only car I've seen come to market that could realistically be compared to a base Model 3 in that they are close to the same base price, similar performance, and similar range (note *similar* and not exact).

tattoogunman said:
alozzy said:

^ So much this - I am sick and tired of seeing every new EV that comes to market compared to Tesla, it's just not realistic. It's like comparing a new optioned Toyota Camry to a Porsche Panamera or something. One is a true mass market vehicle and the other has established itself as a high dollar luxury brand for a niche market. The Chevrolet Bolt is about the only car I've seen come to market that could realistically be compared to a base Model 3 in that they are close to the same base price, similar performance, and similar range (note *similar* and not exact).

You mean “So much [part of] this...”.

As alozzy said, “If these weren’t both EVs...”.
That is the key, the number of EVs is terribly small. And yes, many EV buyers will compare those cars. I cross shopped the Leaf and Model S.
In the US, they sell in similar numbers. For the time being, they have a lot of overlap in their customers. As time goes by, that will lessen.

As for Alossy’s comment about Tesla “sticking to the luxury market”, they are. The Model 3 is their entry level luxury sports sedan. Very much like the BMW 3 series is BMW’s entry level car.
Tesla’s goal is the accelerate the advent of EVs, and I would suggest they are doing a good job at that.

There is an unstated presumption here that the LEAF '18 will sell for well under MSRP. For now that is not true and the luxury/econobox market segmentation does not exist. Instead we either have a Tesla Model 3 being sold at an unbelievable value or the LEAF horribly over-priced.

The range and charging differences between the two cars is easy to see, but the value of the TMS is I think even more. The Tesla is a 15 year car; the LEAF is at best an 8 year car. Value parity occurs when the LEAF costs $15k.

SageBrush said:
There is an unstated presumption here that the LEAF '18 will sell for well under MSRP. For now that is not true and the luxury/econobox market segmentation does not exist. Instead we either have a Tesla Model 3 being sold at an unbelievable value or the LEAF horribly over-priced.

The range and charging differences between the two cars is easy to see, but the value of the TMS is I think even more. The Tesla is a 15 year car; the LEAF is at best an 8 year car. Value parity occurs when the LEAF costs $15k.

I would tend to agree, but I'm beginning to see longevity used more and more in EV discussions. Statistically, most people do not keep their cars anywhere near 15 years, so it's a moot point in my opinion. One study that I read recently said that, on average, a new car is kept for six years and used cars are kept for five. There will always be an exception to that obviously and you also have to factor in that most people are leasing instead of buying their EVs as well (Tesla or otherwise). Again, there are always exceptions, but that's what the stats show.

For me, every EV on the market is too expensive and I would agree that the Leaf is not worth anywhere near the asking price (purely my opinion). I remember test driving a used SV a while back (almost bought it), but my initial thoughts were that it was not worth the over $30K asking price when it was new. These are four door hatchback cars and electric or not, they should be priced well under $30K in my opinion. This remains the biggest hurdle with regards to mass adoption of EVs - the price.

Back