webeleafowners
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Since this thread is a comparison between Tesla Model 3 and LEAF, I have a question that was never answered in another thread: How much charge would be lost if I parked a Model 3 at the airport or my office for 3 weeks in Phoenix in June (day time temperatures of 105 to 120 F) without being plugged in. My Leaf has virtually the same SOC (state of charge) when I return as when I park and it keeps the 12-volt battery charged so it is always ready to drive home.


Thank you for asking this. I have had mixed answers on this sceenario. We often spend 3 months a year over seas so the leaf sits in the garage for 3 or 4 months. It has almost the same charge as we when we left. Curious how the model 3 would be.

The other hold back for us is the model 3 (unlike the S or X) can only be charged by a private proprietary fast charging system. Until a Chademo or CCS adapter is available we would probably not buy a Tesla Model 3.

The Leaf SL EPlus is looking like a good fit for us. We’ll be replacing our beloved smart ED with it. Haven’t ruled out a model 3 yet but Chademo or CCS and a heated steering wheel are a must.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

RonDawg
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:36 pm

webeleafowners wrote:The other hold back for us is the model 3 (unlike the S or X) can only be charged by a private proprietary fast charging system. Until a Chademo or CCS adapter is available we would probably not buy a Tesla Model 3.


To be fair, there are far more Tesla SC's in the country (both in number of locations, as well as individual stations within each one) than CHAdeMO or CCS stations. Unless you are in an oddball situation where there's a CHAdeMO/CCS station within driving distance, but not a Tesla SC, it's really not necessary.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

webeleafowners
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am

RonDawg wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:The other hold back for us is the model 3 (unlike the S or X) can only be charged by a private proprietary fast charging system. Until a Chademo or CCS adapter is available we would probably not buy a Tesla Model 3.


To be fair, there are far more Tesla SC's in the country (both in number of locations, as well as individual stations within each one) than CHAdeMO or CCS stations. Unless you are in an oddball situation where there's a CHAdeMO/CCS station within driving distance, but not a Tesla SC, it's really not necessary.


Good morning. I think it depends where you are. We are in the province of BC. There are 12 Supercharger locations. There are however already over 70 CCS/Chademo locations and 55 under construction. The goverment is now in 3rd phase of their infrastructure project bringing CCS/Chademo coverage on routes north and over to the coast vía Prince George and Bella coola. This is not even on Tesla’s Radar and probably won’t be for a decade. Not knocking Tesla but it is the way it is.

The reality is if you have a Model S, a model X, a Bolt or the soon to be released Nissan Leaf EPlus then you have a great touring vehicle that enables you to see much of this Province including the much travelled tourism areas of the Kootenays. If you have a model three Tesla you can drive from Trans Canada 1 from border to border of the province. Yeh.

Again, not suggesting that Tesla has to put superchargers in all of these areas but there are probably many of us EVers that like to tour and won’t buy an EV that is limited to main routes only. We have a little time before upgrading our little smart EV and are hoping that Tesla will make the Chademo adaptor work with the 3. Otherwise it’s the Leaf e plus...even though it’s not near the car. But you know 25000 cheaper too. Our existing Leaf has been flawless and a nice drive...but not a Tesla. :)
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

RonDawg
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 am

webeleafowners wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:The other hold back for us is the model 3 (unlike the S or X) can only be charged by a private proprietary fast charging system. Until a Chademo or CCS adapter is available we would probably not buy a Tesla Model 3.


To be fair, there are far more Tesla SC's in the country (both in number of locations, as well as individual stations within each one) than CHAdeMO or CCS stations. Unless you are in an oddball situation where there's a CHAdeMO/CCS station within driving distance, but not a Tesla SC, it's really not necessary.


Good morning. I think it depends where you are. We are in the province of BC. There are 12 Supercharger locations. There are however already over 70 CCS/Chademo locations and 55 under construction. The goverment is now in 3rd phase of their infrastructure project bringing CCS/Chademo coverage on routes north and over to the coast vía Prince George and Bella coola. This is not even on Tesla’s Radar and probably won’t be for a decade. Not knocking Tesla but it is the way it is.


I am a bit familiar with the southern part of BC as I have visited there many times, including less than a month ago. I had driven from Vancouver to Banff via the Coquihalla as part of my winter vacation. I did see a Bolt headed westbound on the TransCanada somewhere between Revelstoke and Rogers Pass. But I saw more Teslas out in the middle of nowhere than any other EV. A few years ago a couple of friends and I had driven south from Revelstoke, took the ferry from Shelter Bay, and had dinner in Nelson before crossing the border and heading towards Spokane.

I'm glad the government of BC is spending a lot of money towards EV infrastructure, but cross into Alberta as I did and it gets sparse from there, according to what I can see on PlugShare. Headed eastbound on the TransCanada, after Field BC (which only has one of each type, the previous QC stations are at Golden), there's NO CCS or CHAdeMO until you get all the way to Calgary...and the southern part of Calgary at that, so you have to negotiate Calgary traffic to get there.

Switching the map to show Tesla SC's, while for some reason they have not built one at Field BC (Golden is the previous Tesla SC site), there is one at Canmore which I have personally seen, with 4 stalls. The next eastbound Tesla SC is also in Calgary, but that has 8 stalls.

On my trip last month, I was headed south from Calgary towards Great Falls MT via Lethbridge. At Ft MacLeod I pulled into a Shell station at the edge of town to use the bathroom and noticed several Tesla SC's on the property. The nearest CCS/CHAdeMO to here are back in Calgary, Sparwood BC, or Medicine Hat.

The situations where CHAdeMO/CCS outnumber Tesla as in the case of Prince George/Bella Coola is very much an exception. I'm not sure why Tesla doesn't think of putting them here as I've seen their SC's in some locations I thought I'd never see charging infrastructure of any sort (like Ft MacLeod). But even then Prince George is a CHAdeMO/CCS island, with the next nearest such stations being at Spences Bridge. At 487 km/304 miles, a Tesla Model 3 LR would be hard pressed to make that journey, much less any other EV. A Bolt or similar 200 mile EV would require long stops at an L2 along the way.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

Durandal
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:31 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Since this thread is a comparison between Tesla Model 3 and LEAF, I have a question that was never answered in another thread: How much charge would be lost if I parked a Model 3 at the airport or my office for 3 weeks in Phoenix in June (day time temperatures of 105 to 120 F) without being plugged in. My Leaf has virtually the same SOC (state of charge) when I return as when I park and it keeps the 12-volt battery charged so it is always ready to drive home.

Personally, it doesn't matter what car I own, I wouldn't want to pay for 3 weeks of parking. I would recommend taking an Uber/Lyft to the airport unless you're REALLY far away from it.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and plan on buying a Tesla Model 3 in May 2019.

RonDawg
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Durandal wrote:Personally, it doesn't matter what car I own, I wouldn't want to pay for 3 weeks of parking. I would recommend taking an Uber/Lyft to the airport unless you're REALLY far away from it.


Sometimes the convenience of having your car at the airport outweighs the cost savings of taking other forms of transport. Especially coming back after a long flight, it's no fun having to wait for even an Uber to come pick you up. And if there is a surge of inbound airport passengers at the same time as you, there could be surge pricing in effect, negating any cost savings.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

webeleafowners
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm

RonDawg wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
To be fair, there are far more Tesla SC's in the country (both in number of locations, as well as individual stations within each one) than CHAdeMO or CCS stations. Unless you are in an oddball situation where there's a CHAdeMO/CCS station within driving distance, but not a Tesla SC, it's really not necessary.


Good morning. I think it depends where you are. We are in the province of BC. There are 12 Supercharger locations. There are however already over 70 CCS/Chademo locations and 55 under construction. The goverment is now in 3rd phase of their infrastructure project bringing CCS/Chademo coverage on routes north and over to the coast vía Prince George and Bella coola. This is not even on Tesla’s Radar and probably won’t be for a decade. Not knocking Tesla but it is the way it is.


I am a bit familiar with the southern part of BC as I have visited there many times, including less than a month ago. I had driven from Vancouver to Banff via the Coquihalla as part of my winter vacation. I did see a Bolt headed westbound on the TransCanada somewhere between Revelstoke and Rogers Pass. But I saw more Teslas out in the middle of nowhere than any other EV. A few years ago a couple of friends and I had driven south from Revelstoke, took the ferry from Shelter Bay, and had dinner in Nelson before crossing the border and heading towards Spokane.

I'm glad the government of BC is spending a lot of money towards EV infrastructure, but cross into Alberta as I did and it gets sparse from there, according to what I can see on PlugShare. Headed eastbound on the TransCanada, after Field BC (which only has one of each type, the previous QC stations are at Golden), there's NO CCS or CHAdeMO until you get all the way to Calgary...and the southern part of Calgary at that, so you have to negotiate Calgary traffic to get there.

Switching the map to show Tesla SC's, while for some reason they have not built one at Field BC (Golden is the previous Tesla SC site), there is one at Canmore which I have personally seen, with 4 stalls. The next eastbound Tesla SC is also in Calgary, but that has 8 stalls.

On my trip last month, I was headed south from Calgary towards Great Falls MT via Lethbridge. At Ft MacLeod I pulled into a Shell station at the edge of town to use the bathroom and noticed several Tesla SC's on the property. The nearest CCS/CHAdeMO to here are back in Calgary, Sparwood BC, or Medicine Hat.

The situations where CHAdeMO/CCS outnumber Tesla as in the case of Prince George/Bella Coola is very much an exception. I'm not sure why Tesla doesn't think of putting them here as I've seen their SC's in some locations I thought I'd never see charging infrastructure of any sort (like Ft MacLeod). But even then Prince George is a CHAdeMO/CCS island, with the next nearest such stations being at Spences Bridge. At 487 km/304 miles, a Tesla Model 3 LR would be hard pressed to make that journey, much less any other EV. A Bolt or similar 200 mile EV would require long stops at an L2 along the way.


Yah. Most of the northern routes Chademo facilities are on the third phase of the project. EG Prince George over to Bella coola. So sometimes this year.

The kootenays is devoid of Tesla Superchargers but we’ll covered by CCS/Chademo thanks to the kootenays connect project. You would need to be in a model X or model S for these routes. A model 3 wouldn’t work.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

Durandal
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:35 am

RonDawg wrote:
Durandal wrote:Personally, it doesn't matter what car I own, I wouldn't want to pay for 3 weeks of parking. I would recommend taking an Uber/Lyft to the airport unless you're REALLY far away from it.


Sometimes the convenience of having your car at the airport outweighs the cost savings of taking other forms of transport. Especially coming back after a long flight, it's no fun having to wait for even an Uber to come pick you up. And if there is a surge of inbound airport passengers at the same time as you, there could be surge pricing in effect, negating any cost savings.

Good point.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and plan on buying a Tesla Model 3 in May 2019.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:41 pm

RonDawg wrote:
Durandal wrote:Personally, it doesn't matter what car I own, I wouldn't want to pay for 3 weeks of parking. I would recommend taking an Uber/Lyft to the airport unless you're REALLY far away from it.


Sometimes the convenience of having your car at the airport outweighs the cost savings of taking other forms of transport. Especially coming back after a long flight, it's no fun having to wait for even an Uber to come pick you up. And if there is a surge of inbound airport passengers at the same time as you, there could be surge pricing in effect, negating any cost savings.


I have tried public transportation to/from the airport a couple of times--takes a lot of extra time each way so convenience is worth parking cost. I also frequently park at my office and drive an SUV to remote construction sites.

I am surprised that none of the Tesla drivers have answered my question. I did receive an answer from a Tesla representative in their showroom at one of the malls here a while back. When asked about long-term parking without being plugged in during hot weather, the answer was "we don't recommend that" (which surprised me) so I was hoping to get some perspective on this from Tesla owners.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Durandal
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am

Yeah, I don't have a Tesla yet, so I can't comment. From what I understand, it wouldn't be advisable for anything beyond a week in extreme temperatures. I think the vampire drain is 1-2%/day. Where I am, there is a parking deck that has a quick shuttle to the airport that has 120v plugins for electric cars which would be ideal to keep the car topped up and conditioned. (It's also covered.)

Check the following thread:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ng.125787/

jcal0820 says: "I recently parked my brand new Model 3 at long term airport indoor parking garage for 5 days... when I parked it there, had exactly 254 miles of range. After coming back 5 days later, had 232 miles left. Only other thing I did during that time was periodically check in on it through the Tesla app. "
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and plan on buying a Tesla Model 3 in May 2019.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”