jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 am

GerryAZ wrote:I am surprised that none of the Tesla drivers have answered my question.
I didn't answer because I don't know what would happen in your climate.

My only similar experience: I left my S and LEAF unplugged in my garage in the Massachusetts last March for 2 weeks when I was down under. When I came back I had no problem with either. The S will do what it needs to keep the battery at the right temps, and that consumes power (and I think is the primary source of "vampire drain").

I looked up the stats from my trip on TeslaFi: when I left on 3/15, the car had 186 miles of range; when I got back on 4/1, it was at 141 miles of range.

If I was parking it for a long time in a hot climate, I would probably turn off the cabin overheat protection. My only suggestion.

(when I travel, I always take some other form of transit to the airport, because getting in and out of Logan Airport in Boston is a PITA)
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Durandal,
Thanks for posting the link. I am amazed at the amount of "vampire draw" (wasted energy) while the cars are parked in moderate temperatures.

Jlv,
Thanks for replying with your experience. It sounds like your loss of charge while parked in your garage in moderate temperatures is similar to what others posted in the Tesla forum. I can only guess how much energy a Tesla would use while parked in my climate in the summer--I now understand why the Tesla representative in the showroom at a local mall said "we don't recommend that" when I asked about long-term parking without being plugged in.

I need to park for extended time without plugging in so it looks like a Tesla S,X, or 3 would not be appropriate for me.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”