What type of EV would you like to see offered?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindsayNB

After reading about all the EV cars and concepts from the Geneva show I got to thinking what my "ideal" current technology EV would look like.

The Nissan ESFLOW is probably the closest to what I would like to buy given all the compromises that have to be dealt with. A range of 150miles/240km with a price in the $40k range would suit me about perfectly.

I generally prefer less flashy designs but I can't say the ESFLOW style would be a real detriment, neither would I mind if they toned it down a little if that kept the price down.

Likewise I would be happy with a single motor and less acceleration if that kept the price down. I've never bought a two seat car before but that's fine if it improves the range, I almost never have more than two people in my car now, and I can use another vehicle if that need arises.

For me the 150mi/240km range in the $40k price range is about a perfect trade off. 240km is enough range for my needs with enough spare to have zero anxiety. Keeping in mind realistic cost considerations (i.e. not "I want a Tesla Roadster for $10k") what sort of EV would you like to see the auto companies produce?

I'm perfectly happy with the LEAF, though a bit more range would be nice for those long drives to the other side of the greater Sacramento area. 150 miles would probably do it, 200 certainly would.

I'd buy an EV version of the Gen 1 Honda Insight -- two seats, light body, aero body.. it would be perfect for me. I look forward to the leaf but don't need the back seat or back doors. At least offer a coupe version!

Thanks for this topic. I had been going through some "should I be getting a Volt?" anxiety, and this kind of made me pull out the pro/con list again.

At first, I was inclined to agree with LindsayNB, but then I remembered the drawbacks of longer range...longer charge times and less overall efficiency. A 150 mi range would allow trips to LA from San Diego, but how often do I really do that? Once or twice a year, maybe. As a two car family, I can always trade vehicles with my wife for those times. My commute is almost nothing (3 mi), and the Leaf's range, seating, and cargo is actually perfect for the rest of my daily drive and even my weekend needs. The Volt doesn't have the charge time issue, but it is definitely less efficient, something I really care about, and since re-realizing that the Leaf's range is actually OK for me...anxiety banished. I'd still choose the Leaf even over some of the vaporware choices.

I would love to see a heavy duty truck with a 300 mile highway range. I think some manufacturers of commercial trucks are thinking of spinning off such things. Unfortunately the price would be extreme right now.

TRONZ said:
I would love to see a heavy duty truck with a 300 mile highway range. I think some manufacturers of commercial trucks are thinking of spinning off such things. Unfortunately the price would be extreme right now.
What sized truck, TRONZ? Something like your F350 or are you thinking class 6, 7, or 8 (delivery vans, school bus, semi) vehicles?

Great question!

I'm looking forward to the Leaf - no doubt! But it's more than I need but I'm willing to suffer through it. :lol:

I'm with Steve - something closer to a Gen1 Insight, an EV1, or even Aptera (RIP) would give me the two seats plus grocery room that I need.

Well my next car is absolutely going to be an EV or Plug-In - it will really depend on what's available when I'm finally ready to retire my current one which hopefully won't be for at least a few years yet. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it, though!

If the choice were to fall on me today, something like the LEAF would satisfy me. I rarely carry much cargo, and even rarer do I have passengers. My normal commute right now is just under 20 miles round trip. A 2-seater with a decent trunk for the occasional box or spool of hose would suffice. 100 miles of real world highway range would work a treat.

It's only because of work that I sometimes drive out to a job site or to a meeting that's ~100 miles round trip that would give me pause to think about it. Usually these trips are planned at least a few days in advance so I could make arrangements with friends or family to swap for a day. Though with some of the jobs my office has coming up I might be driving a lot more which might pose a problem... those 240V EVSEs should work fine on 277V right? :D
=Smidge=

Something the size of the LEAF with a 200 mile range and all-wheel-drive would be ideal for us. We like having AWD because California is very quick to require snow chains on 2WD vehicles, whether you really need them or not. After 2" of snowfall which had been plowed, I got a ticket for driving our Prius locally without chains, even though I didn't find them at all necessary.

AWD is very easy on an e-vehicle if they use in-wheel motors on the second axel. Does not require a lot of extra weight-- and all the rest of the necessary components are in place. The in-wheel motors don't need to handle higher speeds sicne they are there for supplemental traction at lower speeds.

I believe that Toyota had a hybrid mini van in Japan that had supplemental motors on the rear wheels to provide this exact configuration.

SteveInSeattle said:
AWD is very easy on an e-vehicle if they use in-wheel motors on the second axel. Does not require a lot of extra weight-- and all the rest of the necessary components are in place. The in-wheel motors don't need to handle higher speeds sicne they are there for supplemental traction at lower speeds.
Great idea! That approach could really help to increase the appeal of EVs (and hybrids for that matter) in areas that get snow. I'd love to see Nissan offer AWD as an option on a future generation LEAF.

I'm pretty impressed with the ESFLOW design effort. I'd like something small with good handling and reasonable midrange acceleration. Probably a 0-60 of 7 to 8 seconds would be fine, but 6 seconds would be better. I'm most comfortable in midsize coupes with reasonably stiff handling but not harsh.

If I hadn't gotten the LEAF, I would probably have a Mini S with stick shift and the normal suspension rather than the sport package. In fact, one of the most fun cars I've driven recently was a MiniE. The acceleration was addictive in the midrange, but the huge battery hump that replaced the rear seats was ridiculous as far as practicality. Build me a MiniE and give it some carrying space so I can at least get groceries, and I'm interested.

SteveInSeattle said:

I believe that Toyota had a hybrid mini van in Japan that had supplemental motors on the rear wheels to provide this exact configuration.

I thought the Highlander hybrid had gas to one axle an battery/electric to the other to create a pseudo part time 4WD capability.

In any case - I agree with my fellow highlander - AWD is a biggie. I'd go for the 300 mile+ range (assuming that in winter it would be closer to 200 and maybe you'd even get 100+ going uphill from 0 feet of elevation to 8000 feet of elevation while traveling 55 MPH in winter).

LindsayNB said:
After reading about all the EV cars and concepts from the Geneva show I got to thinking what my "ideal" current technology EV would look like.

The Nissan ESFLOW is probably the closest to what I would like to buy given all the compromises that have to be dealt with. A range of 150miles/240km with a price in the $40k range would suit me about perfectly.

I generally prefer less flashy designs but I can't say the ESFLOW style would be a real detriment, neither would I mind if they toned it down a little if that kept the price down.

Likewise I would be happy with a single motor and less acceleration if that kept the price down. I've never bought a two seat car before but that's fine if it improves the range, I almost never have more than two people in my car now, and I can use another vehicle if that need arises.

For me the 150mi/240km range in the $40k price range is about a perfect trade off. 240km is enough range for my needs with enough spare to have zero anxiety. Keeping in mind realistic cost considerations (i.e. not "I want a Tesla Roadster for $10k") what sort of EV would you like to see the auto companies produce?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is exactly why we leased our first EV-Leaf. With just the two of us, we don't really need the back seat or all the room that the Leaf has to offer. The ESFLOW is very cool. A solid 100-150 miles range at freeway speed would be helpful as well. The next 3-5 years should be very exciting to see what choices car companies will offer in the EV world.

Although I don't have the LEAF yet, my main reservation with it will likely be that it is a bit too economy level.
I will miss the electric seats, heated seats, sunroof, Bose stereo, and Leather seats that my decked out Altima has. With the tax credits / rebates it will turn out to be about what the Altima cost under the cash for clunkers program in 2009. Probably less $ considering my 1991 Ford Ranger had to go to the crusher. And putting electricity in it will cost about 1/2 or less than what gasoline costs for the Altima. If gas goes to $5 a gallon (which it eventually will), the LEAF power will cost 1/3 what the gasoline costs.
I think the range will be OK for me. 40 miles round trip to work.
And when the EV Project gets the extensive # of chargers including L3 rapid chargers installed in six to twelve months, the LEAF will be capable of travel to Knoxville & Nashville. Only require a couple rapid charges for the round trip from Chattanooga.
I look forward to the Infiniti electric based on the LEAF. Luxury features and probably a bit more range. But probably 20K to 25K more than the LEAF.
Tesla S could also be a real interesting vehicle.
But I'm skeptical that they can pull off their projections of range at a selling price of $50K to 60K.
I've worked for over 30 years for the Tennessee Valley Authority (federal wholesale power agency), and look forward to having TVA and the excellent Electric Power Board distributor (fastest internet service in the US) providing the alternative fuel for 90% of my transportation. It has been madness for the US to remain locked in to using oil for transportation. The LEAF is the first step in the direction of sanity.

From Nissan I’d like a 30kWh LEAF+ with a Bose stereo that looks like an Audi A3.

From BMW, Id like the MINI E. As is.

From GM I’d like the MPV5 SUV version of the Volt

All with 10kW max adjustable charger, Right-pedal regen capable of .25g deceleration, %SOC digital display, and 100-240volt 32amp max adjustable portable EVSE that includes adapters.

That’s it.

I would love to see the Jeep Wrangler EV in an all-electric version (the prototype was a hybrid) with:
*4WD
*a 200+ mile range (plenty of room for batteries imo)
*L1-L3 charging capability +Solar charging of the main battery packs via a hardtop option (i dont care if it takes a week)

Back