And so it begins.....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

Speculation without any proof yet, but they're ready to hang the fire on the Volt. :evil:

http://www.wfsb.com/news/27541598/detail.html

It may well have. But that was a cheap shot by a biased writer just tossing it there with NO evidence of any kind. :shock:

I knew that those go**am hippie eelectrical hybridge gizmos were trouble!

I'd much rather have something safe that runs on thousands of explosions to make it go.

GeekEV said:
.. that was a cheap shot by a biased writer just tossing it there with NO evidence of any kind. :shock:

yep, Media loves to create hype. I've read this story on several sites and some blame the conversion EV some blame the Volt, but none seem to suspect the home electrical. There are thousands of ways to have a fire start in your garage, it does not have to be because the guy has a brand new Chevy Volt. Far more likely that he could have had a pile of oily rags in an uncovered bucket that lit but saying that would not be very sensational.

Also none seem to do any research to see how many garage fires are caused by ICE cars. One site had a comment that there are several thousand per year, but I don't know if that is true or where he got the information, but I do suspect there are a few every year.

It's already been picked up across the Pond. With pictures of a Volt. Many will assume it's a mug shot of the perp.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377474/Green-drivers-hybrid-cars-sparked-garage-fire.html

Officials said they can't rule out that the couple's brand new Chevy Volt hybrid had something to do with the blaze.

Doesn't look like the media made this up - unless it was in response to a question by the media. That is why I hate such shoddy reporting. If it is in answer to a direct question on that from media - they should note that.

BTW, the officials also haven't ruled out that the neighborhood cat had something to do with the blaze.

Better here ... the guy also had a converted Suziki EV.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/litchfield_cty/cars-charred-in-barkhamsted-fire

The Connors had just bought the Chevy Volt. It only had 2,000 miles on it. And Storm converted that Suzuki to electric power himself years ago. He likes his cars too much to think having them charging in the garage started the fire.

"I don't have any reason to suspect that it was any part of the cause of the fire," he said.

Dep. Fire Marshal Rich Winn says it's too early in the investigation and no cause has been determined.

Follow the story here ...

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7421

evnow said:
BTW, the officials also haven't ruled out that the neighborhood cat had something to do with the blaze.

Hey, we all know the damage Mrs. O'Leary's cow did in Chicago....

I will wager existing garage wiring first, then EVSE install, then Samurai conversion and the Volt itself last. If the Volt burned first it would be very easy to tell and the fire marshal would not have to wait for an "investigation".

Neil Young's 1959 Lincoln hybrid burned down part of his warehouse. You just can't trust those hybrids...

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-11-17/bay-area/24835785_1_warehouse-fire-hybrid-car-storage-fire

TRONZ said:
I will wager existing garage wiring first, then EVSE install, then Samurai conversion and the Volt itself last. If the Volt burned first it would be very easy to tell and the fire marshal would not have to wait for an "investigation".

I'm always a "last in" guy when it comes to blame. So for me it would be garage wiring (due to excessive load); EVSE or Volt; then Samurai. Though I suppose it's easy being suspicious of the Samurai, due to it being "home grown". But the guy did already have that for quite a while.

When I get new electrical/electronic equipment, it's not uncommon for me to be a bit paranoid about it for a while, or at least the first few days during (no pun intended) "burn-in".

My guess? It was the owner. He was charging on 120v, had a 15A circuit in the garage, and the breaker had tripped a couple with the Samurai, so he knew he was going to be in trouble if he tried to charge both of them at the same time. His solution was to go to Home Depot and get a 30A breaker as a replacement.

So, yes, it was the wiring, but ...

Ray

planet4ever said:
My guess? It was the owner. He was charging on 120v, had a 15A circuit in the garage, and the breaker had tripped a couple with the Samurai, so he knew he was going to be in trouble if he tried to charge both of them at the same time. His solution was to go to Home Depot and get a 30A breaker as a replacement.
Well, if he did convert the Suzuki by himself, he would know he shouldn't be doing that. But, if he got it converted (more likely given he bought Volt), thats a different thing.

In anycase, my first thought is "user error".

But, as someone was mentioning in the Volt forum, those who use non-dedicated circuits should be careful. Even though L1 draws only the current a toaster would draw, nobody toasts for 10 hours. There is a possibility of heat building up slowly and causing problems when charging for 10 hours.

mwalsh said:
F**K...the charred remains of that Volt caught fire (again?)! :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/18/report-burnt-chevrolet-volt-mysteriously-catches-fire-again/

Sounds like a plot from The Sopranos mixed with Christine ;)

Q: How do you get to Maine?
A: Take Route 5 until you hit Stephen King.

My bet is on the conversion and how it was being charged or "overcharged" for that matter although an electrical wiring issue is possible, the fact that there is a conversion in the garage is suspect. If this is true it reminds me of another person that cried "fire" from an EVSE when the reality she did not use proper charge control on the same pack chemistry and then decided that modifying an EVSE would cause a situation like this. In any case, not having proper charge control on these type of batteries can be a serious issue. A while back a guy had a pack of flooded Nicads and he overcharged then and blew up his pack from the venting hydrogen. The pack on one of my EVs blew up from a hydrogen explosion from a small terminal spark while driving.

mwalsh said:
F**K...the charred remains of that Volt caught fire (again?)! :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/18/report-burnt-chevrolet-volt-mysteriously-catches-fire-again/

That is VERY unfortunate but NOT the Volts fault. It has been burned to crisp and certainly has battery damage from the extreme temperatures.

I went over yesterday and lurked at the Volt forum a bit. It seems those guys are calling the owner into question. Someone posted a bunch of links to some of his "previous work quality" and "questionable electrical charging methods".

One guy seemed to suggest "an EV competitor started it". Heavy sigh :roll: .

Back