cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: New Tesla Superchargers: Spring is Upon Us

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:20 am

^^^
Agree.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. This is the first U.S. SC which expands coverage (rather than being infill) since Estes Park, IIRR. About the only new U.S. SC of the 22 known to be under construction that could even be argued is an expansion is York, PA at the junction of I-83 and U.S. 30, and that's stretching a point.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:29 pm

GRA wrote:Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. This is the first U.S. SC which expands coverage (rather than being infill) since Estes Park, IIRR. About the only new U.S. SC of the 22 known to be under construction that could even be argued is an expansion is York, PA at the junction of I-83 and U.S. 30, and that's stretching a point.
Aspen CO was expansion, as opposed to infill. There are lots of "in permitting" locations that are expansion.

However, infill is useful too, especially in very crowded places such as California and the East Coast.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GRA

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:08 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. This is the first U.S. SC which expands coverage (rather than being infill) since Estes Park, IIRR. About the only new U.S. SC of the 22 known to be under construction that could even be argued is an expansion is York, PA at the junction of I-83 and U.S. 30, and that's stretching a point.
Aspen CO was expansion, as opposed to infill. There are lots of "in permitting" locations that are expansion.

However, infill is useful too, especially in very crowded places such as California and the East Coast.

Right, forgot about Aspen. As for "in permitting", yes there are expansion sites there, but as I've pointed out before"in permitting" can mean next to nothing. By my count there are currently 16 U.S. SCs that have been "in permitting" for 6 months or more on supercharge.info, with three over a year: Statesville, NC (which should be removed judging by the TMC commentary) @ 641 days; Ft. Stockton, TX (a critical site for I-10) @ 605 days; and Emporia Kansas (infill for density) @ 416 days. Infill is necessary in some areas to shorten legs, but mainly seems to be aimed at boosting capacity for Model 3s in major urban corridors at the moment. Expansion of coverage has virtually stopped.
Last edited by GRA on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 am

dgpcolorado wrote:

Infill predominates when expansion is close to complete since the effort is then focused on areas with high Tesla penetration.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 am

I used the Farmington, NM Supercharger this week. I arrived with ~ 27% battery SoC and left with 60%. 98 EPA miles of range added in 15 minutes. Cost $3.3 + $0.23 tax, so about 3.6 cents a mile.

Details:
Model 3 LR
Started at 114 kW, ended at 90 kW
10 of the 15 minute stay spent on bio-breaks
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GRA

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am

SageBrush wrote:
dgpcolorado wrote:

Infill predominates when expansion is close to complete since the effort is then focused on areas with high Tesla penetration.

Unfortunately expansion is nowhere close to complete, as even the primary Interstate system still lacks SCs on several routes or legs (I-10/15/20/25/29/35/40/55/75/94/95, and then there are all the U.S. and state highways that need to be covered. The need for the latter two is primarily out west, where the distances between interstates are much greater, and numerous outdoor recreation sites are only accessible well off the interstates. East of the Mississippi the interstate density is usually high enough that it's only necessary to have SCs on them at junctions with U.S. or state highways to serve the areas in between them. For example, compare the area bounded by Interstates 68/81/64/79, mainly in Virginia/West Virginia, with the Four Corners area bounded by Interstates 70/25/40/15, which encompasses parts of California/Nevada/Utah/Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona.

Re slowing of expansion, see https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/901kt2/tesla_abandons_plans_for_superchargers_along_i94/

A source from Tesla has confirmed that Alexandria, MN site has been the hold up on the I94 route. They will look for new site nearby, but won’t try to continue work on the I-94 route until next spring. This likely means I-29 and the trans-Canada route (which Elon said on Twitter would all be complete in 2018) will also be delayed as a result. This makes the 4th year in a row Tesla has planned Superchargers in North Dakota and failed to deliver (Supercharger section on Tesla’s website once claimed ND super chargers were coming in 2015).

GRA

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm

GRA wrote:Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. <snip>

It's now official, and apparently replaces the planned SC in Wenatchee, which has now been removed from Tesla's SC list (it was listed as 'Coming soon').

I had some outdoorsy friends who recently completed a road trip from the Bay Area: I-5 to Ashland, OR, then cut over to U.S. 97 via Crater Lake and up through Peachland, Kelowna, Revelstoke, Golden and Lake Louise to Jasper NP in B.C., then back to Lake Louise, Waterton NP, Stanley ID then through SE Oregon (Steens Mtns.) and NE California (Warner Mtns) and back to the Bay Area; not sure whether they came down U.S. 395 to Reno and then I-80 or cut back over to I-5. If they had a Tesla the Leavenworth SC site (wasn't open yet) plus the 'coming soon' ones listed for Okanogan and Osoyoos would have been needed, plus several others that aren't even posited by Tesla as of yet.

The places we tend to travel to by car, our beyond the road end recreations and our typical 'lodgings' consisting of a ground cloth/bivy sac or at most a tent/snow cave, plus sleeping pad and bag are similar, which is why BEVs simply don't work yet for people like us, at least given any time constraints and if you avoid RV parks like the plague. As he's always owned Volvo wagons I have hopes of convincing them to go BEV in a few years when Volvo BEV wagons are available and the CCS infrastructure's better, especially since I talked them into getting a grid-intertie PV system a few years back (not a hard sell, as 25 years ago I'd designed and installed the off-grid PV system on the backcountry ski hut in Yosemite where he spends much of the winter as caretaker/ranger). Or maybe his wife will get a BEV first, when it's time to replace her RAV4.

Edit: The York, PA SC officially opened today, so there are now zero expansion of coverage SCs under construction in the U.S.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 am

GRA wrote:I had some outdoorsy friends who recently completed a road trip from the Bay Area: I-5 to Ashland, OR, then cut over to U.S. 97 via Crater Lake and up through Peachland, Kelowna, Revelstoke, Golden and Lake Louise to Jasper NP in B.C., then back to Lake Louise, Waterton NP, Stanley ID then through SE Oregon (Steens Mtns.) and NE California (Warner Mtns) and back to the Bay Area; not sure whether they came down U.S. 395 to Reno and then I-80 or cut back over to I-5. If they had a Tesla the Leavenworth SC site (wasn't open yet) plus the 'coming soon' ones listed for Okanogan and Osoyoos would have been needed, plus several others that aren't even posited by Tesla as of yet.

Just the Bay Area to Jasper NP is over a 1300 mile trip. It's actually doable with an S100D using just SCs right now, although you'd need charging at the destination in order to make the return trip. With an X or smaller battery S you'd need longer SC stops as well as an additional stop to charge after Kamloops to reach all the way to Jasper NP.
Alternately, with a 3 LR you'd be able shave almost an hour of charging time, but incur $65 in SC fees.

But that's already an exceptional trip -- a fraction of 1% will every make such a trip.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery) (replaced 3 reservation)

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 am

I realized I didn't map the trip as described. This is closer to your friend's trip. This is faster even with the 56MPH limited leg (in red) than the two alternatives.

This 1650 mile trip (one way) is again something that not many people will ever undertake. And the above was all managed with SC (albeit the need to charge while at Jasper NP if you ever want to go home).

(My son does trips like this; he lives in Bend - I didn't realize there was a SC there).
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery) (replaced 3 reservation)

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”