GRA

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
GRA wrote:What I expect is that Tesla will continue to announce SCs are 'coming soon' in areas where they are needed, and continue to fail to build them over a period extending several years in some cases (e.g. I-94). This is an entirely unnecessary, self-inflicted wound, disappointing potential (and in some cases existing) customers and damaging Tesla's credibility.

You know they do this only to upset LEAF owners. I read that somewhere.

It upsets everyone who'd consider a Tesla, but finds that they still can't get there from here. I t also upsets current owners who bought a car based on Tesla's claims, which showed SCs would be built in their area that would enable them to use the car for road trips, and who are still waiting years later for those SCs to appear.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

EVDRIVER

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Everyone? I’m not upset. Are you,?

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:17 pm

GRA wrote:It upsets everyone who'd consider a Tesla, but finds that they still can't get there from here. I t also upsets current owners who bought a car based on Tesla's claims, which showed SCs would be built in their area that would enable them to use the car for road trips, and who are still waiting years later for those SCs to appear.
:?:

The SC network already enables drives that are impossible in any other BEV. I'd say most owners - who use it - are very happy with it. It's Tesla's massive competitive advantage above all the other makers of BEVs. And it's not stagnant. Tesla keeps announcing coming soon... and then they build them.

Go post that comment in the thread "Suggestions for NIssan Charging Stations". That thread was started before this one. How many has Nissan added in the last 5 years?
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi
3 reservation canceled; X on order.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:13 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Everyone? I’m not upset. Are you,?
I'm not — I'm absolutely delighted with the Supercharger network and have made six 2500+ mile road trips, as well as numerous shorter ones, in the past couple of years. And I drive an S60 with ~186 mile range. With a 300 mile range Tesla I could get almost anywhere I wanted to go, save for places accessed by rough Jeep roads.

I can just get in the car and use voice navigation to route me to my destination and each Supercharger stop enroute — giving me the arrival time and estimated charge time at each stop, as well as updating all this information in real time as I drive. What's not to like?

The Supercharger network is already way better than it was when I bought my car in March 2016. I think one has to try it to really believe how easy it is to use for road trips. For local driving I can start the day with a "full tank" by charging at home. To me that is a big advantage over dealing with ICEVs and gas stations. I guess it is what one is used to, and I am used to driving EVs with all their wonderful advantages.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GRA

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:21 pm

jlv wrote:
GRA wrote:It upsets everyone who'd consider a Tesla, but finds that they still can't get there from here. I t also upsets current owners who bought a car based on Tesla's claims, which showed SCs would be built in their area that would enable them to use the car for road trips, and who are still waiting years later for those SCs to appear.
:?:

The SC network already enables drives that are impossible in any other BEV. I'd say most owners - who use it - are very happy with it. It's Tesla's massive competitive advantage above all the other makers of BEVs. And it's not stagnant. Tesla keeps announcing coming soon... and then they build them.

Go post that comment in the thread "Suggestions for NIssan Charging Stations". That thread was started before this one. How many has Nissan added in the last 5 years?

The issue isn't whether the SC network "enables drives that are impossible in any other BEV," or that it has given them a competitive advantage. We know that, I've said that, and have given Tesla pats on the back because of it. That advantage will be decreasing rapidly over the next few years as the Electrify America and Canada networks will whittle down that advantage in North America, and in Europe high-speed QC networks are springing up quite rapidly now - China is boosting their own GB/T networks. that Nissan and most BEV manufacturers haven;'t supported QCs is obvious, but then they shouldn't have to; it;'s not their business. Tesla did it because they had to, given that long range BEVs were their major selling point.

No, the issue is whether Tesla has completed their own announced SC plans (along with many other projects) on time, and they've failed so often and on such a large scale that their word has become devalued.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 pm

:roll:
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi
3 reservation canceled; X on order.

EVDRIVER

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 pm

That seems to be what I hear from
every Tesla owner although a few don’t even use an SC ever.

Zythryn

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:That seems to be what I hear from
every Tesla owner although a few don’t even use an SC ever.

There is no doubt Tesla has fallen short every year.
As an owner who uses the SC network to travel cross country, I don’t really care.
They shoot for the stars and only make it to Mars. I’m still waiting for another company to leave their own driveway.

I do agree though, that every year they fall short, by a lot, it reduces the value of their next prediction.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Zythryn wrote:I do agree though, that every year they fall short, by a lot, it reduces the value of their next prediction.

I expect them to carry through, albeit with delay.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:13 am

GRA wrote:
jlv wrote:I keep seeing "best is the enemy of good enough" and really think that applies here.

I posted because it's not yet good enough,

Not good enough for you, perhaps. You are not the average person.

Remember my neighbors in suburban Boston, the longest trip they ever took by car was to Springfield? That's Springfield, MA and not some other state's Springfield. They had flown to Hawaii, Florida, Europe, ....

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Springf ... orough,+MA

With a Bolt or a 2018 Leaf with a 60kWh battery, this trip and every other trip they take could be charge at home only. No public charging needed. The average is probably between them and you.

You are not average, and they are not average. To sell 1%, 2%, 4%, 8%, 16%, 32%, or 64% of vehicles as BEVs, BEVs don't need to meet your needs. They need to meet the needs of the people buying them. Which doesn't include you, we get that.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”