Windshield Defrost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yodrak

I'd like to have some heating wires embedded in the windshield for the 'cold weather' package, to go along with the heated steering wheel and seats.

It seems to me that in cold areas where we have to deal with winter storms, whether snow or freezing rain, it's got to be more effective to heat the windshield directly than to heat air and then blow the hot air at the windshied, at the same time heating the rest of the cabin like a sauna.

Manufacturers already do that with rear windows, of course, and as we know, that can take much longer to work than forced air. The horizontal lines are also more distracting up close and I don't think they would be allowed for the windshield, or if legal, not considered practical. I live in a warm climate, but during the winter if I leave the car out overnight, it will frost up. I'll have to park in the garage for sure, even if the charging cord can reach me in the driveway. Of course, if you are talking about using the Carwings defrost/heat ahead of time feature, then it would make more sense to use the imbedded wires.

Rat said:
Manufacturers already do that with rear windows, of course, and as we know, that can take much longer to work than forced air. The horizontal lines are also more distracting up close and I don't think they would be allowed for the windshield, or if legal, not considered practical. I live in a warm climate, but during the winter if I leave the car out overnight, it will frost up. I'll have to park in the garage for sure, even if the charging cord can reach me in the driveway. Of course, if you are talking about using the Carwings defrost/heat ahead of time feature, then it would make more sense to use the imbedded wires.

The Think had that in the windshield

Rat said:
I live in a warm climate, but during the winter if I leave the car out overnight, it will frost up. I'll have to park in the garage for sure, even if the charging cord can reach me in the driveway. Of course, if you are talking about using the Carwings defrost/heat ahead of time feature, then it would make more sense to use the imbedded wires.
Oh, I love that idea! I, too, am in a "warm" climate, and had only thought of pre-cooling in the summer, but we do get frost on some winter nights, and there is no way I am going to be able to fit my LEAF into our garage.

Since we're on this topic, today I had to take my ICE car in for service early (~7:30 am) and it was cool enough overnight to cause a heavy dew on the windows. I had to use the wipers to keep the windshield clear until the car heated up and the defrost took over, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I also turned on the rear defroster (wires) since I couldn't see out the rear window. I still couldn't see out the rear window by the time I got to the repair garage, at least 15 minutes later, although it was just starting to clear up. I was driving, and backing out of my driveway, using only the side mirrors. I should have wiped off the rear windows before starting and I'm sure it would have cleared faster, but I think you see the point. Forced air just works better.

garygid said:
A manually-set Pre-Heat/Cool timer is built into the LEAF and does not require CARWINGS to operate.
You're saying the preheat/precool function does *not* require CARWINGS? I was under the impression that it does require it.

johnr said:
You're saying the preheat/precool function does *not* require CARWINGS? I was under the impression that it does require it.

You need CARWINGS only if you want to ad-hoc start the preheat/precool function using your cellphone/PC. If it is set in the car using the controls within the car - you don't need CARWINGS.

evnow said:
You need CARWINGS only if you want to ad-hoc start the preheat/precool function using your cellphone/PC. If it is set in the car using the controls within the car - you don't need CARWINGS.
Ok, got it. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

Rat said:
I still couldn't see out the rear window by the time I got to the repair garage, at least 15 minutes later
that looks like broken defroster/bad contacts. Mine take under 1 minute to get morning frost off on Beatle using wired defroster, and much longer till engine warmes up

Stunt822 said:
Rat said:
I still couldn't see out the rear window by the time I got to the repair garage, at least 15 minutes later
that looks like broker defroster/bad contacts. Mine take under 1 minute to get morning frost off on Beatle.

It can take a substantial amount of time and heat to get windows cleared around here in the winter time. Plus, when you get into the car with wet clothes (like when you get off of the ski slopes) all of the cars fog badly and take quite an effort to clear.

Wires in the windshield would be very welcome around here! They are much more effective at clearing the fog and the side then hot air.

I noticed after my pre-heat the other morning that the windshield was wet on the inside. I called the tech line and they thought you could change the pre-heat setting to "fresh" instead of "recirc". I've tried several combinations of trying to change the setting, but every time the pre-heat is activated, recirc comes on. Any idea how to let the moisture out....other than opening a window and hitting defrost once you get in the car?

Thanks!

Brad

Back