Nissan should offer a couple of warranty options.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin

First let me say that I was happy to see Nissan standing behind it's battery tech with a nice 8 yr / 100,000 mile warranty.

But I do think Nissan could do something simple that would blow the competition away.

They have already mentioned the possibility of having an extended warranty for an extra fee...but this would be better....

First, offer a choice between two warranties...when you buy your Nissan LEAF you choose a color, some options and also decide to take warranty A, 8 yrs / 100,000 miles or warranty B, 10 yrs / 80,000 miles. Shows confidence along with saying, hey some of you will drive more miles...so we will cover you...but some of you will not drive as much, well we have you covered too...

Then offer as an extra charge an extended warranty...

Say 250 bucks to go 10 yrs / 100,000 ( a nice compromise for people who arent sure how many miles they will do in 10 yrs) and 1000 bucks to go 10 yrs / 150,000.

And if Nissan likes this, well the idea is on the house...of course the could move me up to the first deliveries in December and I won't complain too much :)

Gavin

Yes - it will be interesting to see if Nissan ends up offering any type of extended warranty. I'd think they would have a fair number of takers - although I'm not sure the risk is all that high. The cost of fixing a cell or two 10 years from now, I would think would be much less than an extended warranty. Either way, it would make for some interesting projections.

Back