Solar Decathlon Event

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNleaf

Just curious if anyone has heard of or followed the US DoE Solar Decathlon competition. It's been going on since 2002 (biennially since 2005) and it's basically a competition "that challenges 20 collegiate teams to design, build, and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive. The winner of the competition is the team that best blends affordability, consumer appeal, and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency."

You can find more information here;
http://www.solardecathlon.gov/

I was lucky enough to be involved with my company (one of the sponsors) and some of the Universities involved. Some of the designs I have seen have pretty awesome and I can't wait to attend the competition at the end of September and see how they have pulled everything together.

Has anyone else here heard about this? I'd be curious if anyone else here is involved in any way or would be attending.

I would be interested to see the designs for the 2013 competition if any of the teams have plans to install an EVSE. I didn't notice any teams with them this year (since their designs were practically finalized last year) but if I do, I'll be sure to take some pictures. Maybe my Leaf will be here in August, but if not, I'll try to rent one while I'm in D.C.

Edit--
For anyone interested they have a youtube channel up with the 2011 teams' virtual walkthrus for each of the houses.
http://www.solardecathlon.gov/videos.html
And it does look like the SCI-Arc/Caltech team mentions a plug-in vehicle, but no mention of a EVSE is evident.

I thought for sure there'd be a few members here insterested or already following this. It's a step in the right direction for encouraging research and good publicity about renewable energies.

:(

My husband and I were vacationing in DC when we came across the Solar Decathlon in 2007. We were fascinated with these highly eco efficient modular homes that students had designed. And these students who came from all around the globe to compete were so passionate about their designs and ideas. Now that I think about this, it's probably what inspired us to install our PV system, and to re-think our garden and lawn area for something that uses more native plants requiring less water. In 2007, many homes had battery backups as a part of their energy system. We went back to the Decathalon in 2009 (with friends) and noticed that the shift was away from battery backups to net metering...which makes sense since that's probably what most people do. I think the Solar Decathalon is every other year. I dont know if we'll head back there there this Fall 2011. I would definitely, highly recommend this event to anyone who is interested in learning and seeing eco efficient home designs and ideas.

TNleaf said:
I thought for sure there'd be a few members here insterested or already following this. It's a step in the right direction for encouraging research and good publicity about renewable energies.

:(

Maybe too many "car guys" here and not enough "house guys." ;)

I love houses and buildings (and the rapidly advancing technology in the building trades) and this competition is one of the coolest things. I have seen a couple of television programs over the years on this competition and it was really fun to see. I would love to see the houses in person.

The University of Tennessee Knoxville will be participating in the Decathlon this year. This is where i graduated with a degree in architecture. I am very much a house guy.

UTs house is called Living Light.

The office I share is the 2005 Solar Decathlon entry from Washington State University! It's now located on the campus of Shoreline Community College in Shoreline, WA. It will be a focal point once again at the 2011 NW SolarFest on July 16th. If you're in the Puget Sound Region, there will be a big gathering of EV's at this year's event. Check it out on Facebook or ShorelineSolar dot org.

The winners are always the ones with the big bucks. Literally its Millions versus grass roots donations: hardly a fair competition, but that's how the Decathlon works.

LocalLeaf said:
The University of Tennessee Knoxville will be participating in the Decathlon this year. This is where i graduated with a degree in architecture. I am very much a house guy.

UTs house is called Living Light.

You are correct, they post their updates here:
http://livinglightutk.com/

I was lucky enough to be invited to visit UT Knoxville late last year and they have a working prototype in front of the architecture building, all running from Solar Power. Pretty neat stuff.

I can't wait to see the other teams in late September!

I visited the UTK prototype a few weeks ago. Would love to see the final build. I am interested in seeing how the solar panels will be integrated. Maybe I will have to visit a friend in DC!

Looks like for 2013, the Solar Decathlon location will be much closer to a majority of the forum members here!

http://www.solardecathlon.gov/blog/archives/1996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Orange County Great Park will host the Solar Decathlon 2013 solar village."

I really hope I am able to be involved in the event again. It was really great seeing so many students with a range of different disciplines working together on the teams to create these great innovative houses.

JPVLeaf said:
FYI, a thread for the "Solar Decathlon 2013 at the OC Great Park" was started here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7763

Nice. Not sure if you were implying I should have posted it there, but if that post could be moved into this thread (created last year), that would be beneficial.

I figured that the SD2013 would get much more coverage and attention with people on the west coast. SD2011 had a great turn-out, but it didn't have as much coverage as I would have expected.

Also, the weather should be better in the new location, as SD2011 it was raining for most of the competition in D.C.

TNleaf said:
JPVLeaf said:
FYI, a thread for the "Solar Decathlon 2013 at the OC Great Park" was started here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7763
Nice. Not sure if you were implying I should have posted it there, ....
No, not necessarily. Just that the information for the SD2013 event had been posted, and was available elsewhere if local folks wanted to look see ....

TNleaf said:
... but if that post could be moved into this thread (created last year), that would be beneficial.
And, no, not necessarily since the linked thread was created in the MNL's Local/Regional discussion area ... at least for those locals that read it. It's practically in our backyard for anyone within the LA, OC and SD metropolitan areas and is interested in this type of thing.

But, thanks for the bump. Very glad that the OC Great Park in Irvine was selected to host! :p

Back