Soon to be Leaf owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwrx

Hi all. I am currently in the process of looking for a Leaf for my mother.

Don't need anything special range wise as she rarely goes more than 20km from the house.

Plan is to buy a 24 kWh Leaf that will do the job.

Went to look at one at an auction recently and although the battery health on the display looked good with 11 bars the range when fully charged was only 30Km.

I scanned it with Leafspy and from my untrained eye is looks like a dead module as it had 4 cells all at a lower voltage.

Could this be saved by just removing this module and replacing it?

Leaf Battery.PNG

Yes, the failing cells would need to be replaced. Hopefully this could be done at a reasonable price. You would need to go have a talk with a Nissan dealer or an independent EV shop specializing in battery pack rehab. There are other questionable aspects of the LeafSpy reading you posted. If it were me, I'd walk away from this one.

Last edited:
Hi all. I am currently in the process of looking for a Leaf for my mother.

Don't need anything special range wise as she rarely goes more than 20km from the house.

Plan is to buy a 24 kWh Leaf that will do the job.

Went to look at one at an auction recently and although the battery health on the display looked good with 11 bars the range when fully charged was only 30Km.

I scanned it with Leafspy and from my untrained eye is looks like a dead module as it had 4 cells all at a lower voltage.

Could this be saved by just removing this module and replacing it?
A Gen 1 Leaf with +99% SOH and a failed batch of cells tells me the dealership has done a BMS reset and you can expect bars to drop over the next few months of driving, perhaps faster since it's already registered 1 bar lost. I would steer clear of this Leaf as the battery range is being hurt by those failing cells and the rest of the battery may follow if there is an issue that may affect the entire battery.

The number of QC sessions and L1/L2 sessions is way too many for such low mileage. Either the previous owner charges to 100% on a continual basis (which is bad for the battery long term) or someone is driving the battery to dead over and over and have to charge a lot, also bad for the battery.

Last edited:
Back