BakoDuck
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 326738
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm very surprised that the market hasn't been flooded with 2 year (and soon 3 year) lease returns from the HUGE sales year that was 2014!!

Nissan sold over 30,000 2014 Leafs, which is almost as many as 2012 (9,819) and 2013 (22,610) combined.

What is Nissan doing with all the returned vehicles?

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6810
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Tue May 16, 2017 7:03 pm

If the deals were good, then I imagine the lessees are extending the leases.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

RonDawg
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm

A quick check of Autotrader shows 237 2014 Nissan Leafs available for sale at dealerships "any distance" from my home at this moment. How many more do you need?

Also, just because 30k 2014 Leafs found homes doesn't mean they were all leased. Many of those cars could have been sold to fleets; Caltrans has a few, as do some power utilities.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

finman100
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 am
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2014
Location: Albany, OR

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am

I've still got mine. so you can check that one off your list.
Albany, Oregon
2014 Silver SV with charge/LED package. June 2014, I'm in the EV game!
40,200 miles
18.5 kWh on 100% charge (54-ish Ah)
4.2 miles/kWh average
Best trip: all of 'em. They're all no-gas!

SageBrush
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 am

LeftieBiker wrote:If the deals were good, then I imagine the lessees are extending the leases.

Perhaps a bridge to the Model 3
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Lancpudn
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:17 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2017
Location: Lancashire UK

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Thu May 25, 2017 4:50 am

I'm seeing quite a few end of lease Leafs here, mainly the base model (Visia) but most of them come with the 'flex' battery lease still attached to them, I'm still biding my time until later in the year to get the model I want & at the right price.

There is one Leaf for sale here that's tempting but It's a insurance class 'C' write off, flood damage. the car looks like brand new in the pictures inside & out. 2015 Tenka model with 9000 miles on the clock but I'm sure I read on this forum that if the car has been written off by the insurance company then the Nissan warranty is no longer valid!

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11961
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Thu May 25, 2017 5:11 am

I know a few personally and several online that have extended leases waiting on the 2018's. Considering the no commitment deal that includes 3 months free, I can't see how anyone would not want to do it!
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonDawg
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 am

Lancpudn wrote:There is one Leaf for sale here that's tempting but It's a insurance class 'C' write off, flood damage. the car looks like brand new in the pictures inside & out. 2015 Tenka model with 9000 miles on the clock but I'm sure I read on this forum that if the car has been written off by the insurance company then the Nissan warranty is no longer valid!


I don't know about the UK, but in the US it's typical for a factory car warranty to become voided once the car has been declared a "total" (what you folks call a write off).

You don't want a flood-damaged modern car. Due to the number of electrical components that a modern car contains, one that gets soaked will likely have a lifetime of electrical gremlins.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Lancpudn
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:17 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2017
Location: Lancashire UK

Re: Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

Thu May 25, 2017 6:59 am

RonDawg wrote:
Lancpudn wrote:There is one Leaf for sale here that's tempting but It's a insurance class 'C' write off, flood damage. the car looks like brand new in the pictures inside & out. 2015 Tenka model with 9000 miles on the clock but I'm sure I read on this forum that if the car has been written off by the insurance company then the Nissan warranty is no longer valid!


I don't know about the UK, but in the US it's typical for a factory car warranty to become voided once the car has been declared a "total" (what you folks call a write off).

You don't want a flood-damaged modern car. Due to the number of electrical components that a modern car contains, one that gets soaked will likely have a lifetime of electrical gremlins.



Yeah Good call, the guy also took pictures of the underside of the driver & passenger seats so I'm assuming the water was up to the bottom of the seats. I'll bide my time to get one. :D

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”