GRA

IEVS: Porsche Details Its Plans For Non-Discriminatory Ultra-Fast Charging

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: IEVS: Porsche Details Its Plans For Non-Discriminatory Ultra-Fast Charging

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 am

It is unclear to me whether this is Porsche taking credit for Electrify America's network, or if this represents an entirely parallel effort. If the latter, it's very exciting to any EV driver. But I suspect it's the former, and Porsche is trying to take credit where credit isn't due.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 am

Porsche obviously has a 'talent' in talking a lot while saying almost nothing. Though It does sound like they intend to sell CCS type II compatible (European) DC fast chargers. Unexplained of course is who will buy them as a profit making venture.

The idea of a DC fast charger that relies on a battery to store energy from a low power grid connection (or local PV/wind) has been a holy grail for a while now. I hope they pull it off successfully but my money is on Tesla.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

wmcbrine

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:54 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:It is unclear to me whether this is Porsche taking credit for Electrify America's network, or if this represents an entirely parallel effort. If the latter, it's very exciting to any EV driver. But I suspect it's the former, and Porsche is trying to take credit where credit isn't due.

Porsche is a subsidiary of Volkswagen.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:13 am

wmcbrine wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:It is unclear to me whether this is Porsche taking credit for Electrify America's network, or if this represents an entirely parallel effort. If the latter, it's very exciting to any EV driver. But I suspect it's the former, and Porsche is trying to take credit where credit isn't due.

Porsche is a subsidiary of Volkswagen.

I'm fully aware of that, hence the ambiguity. Electrify America is supposed to be a "neutral" third party network provider. Porsche is claiming they are spending their own money. But are they spending new money, or just the money that they are forced to as part of the settlement?
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”