Updated:Premier Nissan SJ is allowing charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranchleaf

Hey,

Updated: Apparently this dealer is allowing charging. A few users had earlier reported it not. I was asked to update the thread title.

Nissan Corporate needs to get all over these dealerships and put a stop to it! It's bad enough that virtually none allow charging after hours (something that has been an issue for me twice already).

ranchleaf said:
Hey,

We @ CarStations got an update stating "customers only" for Premier Nissan San Jose here: http://electric.carstations.com/2474

Can someone confirm this? Maybe they need to talk to Pacific about the ramifications of this :)

Thanks.

greenleaf said:
Maybe it means
Customers = Nissan Leaf drivers
Non-customers = Chevy Volt
I got this from Premier Nissan when I visited. They said customers only, so I'm presuming that means a Nissan customer and not just customers of that dealership. I didn't clarify further at the time.

If you've purchased a Nissan from the dealer, I presume they would allow you to plug in your Chevy Volt, especially if you're there to purchase a LEAF! :)

It's problematic in that not all charging stations are full 24x7 access to anyone in the public. Some companies allow unrestricted public access to their chargers others have limitations. There are real costs associated with the parking space, cost of the charger, maintenance of the charger and typically the least expense is the electricity. So as we catalog the EV charging locations we have to be careful to accurately capture all of the limitations or restrictions on it's use - paid parking, free/paid charging, hours of access, access procedures, authorized users - public/customers only/employees etc. These limitatiosn need to be included in the charging directory and ultimately, visible in CarWings and the LEAF Navigation system.

I'm not a Random Blogger - I submitted the update. I've been working on EV charging infrastructure for over a decade with many others.

Just called Premier Nissan... Rats.. Busy... have to follow up later. They did tell me customers only, so it's a matter of clarifying that statement and aslo find out about the hours of access, as it may not be 24x7.

On this MyNissanLeaf forum, I think it's hard to call anybody on this forum "Random", most people here are pretty knowledgable about the LEAF compared to the general public. They certainly knew enough to find this forum!

ranchleaf said:
Maybe they need to talk to Pacific about the ramifications of this :)
Why? There were no ramifications on Pacific for their identical charging policy that were potent enough for them to change their stand. As of yesterday, their EVSE equipment usage is still limited to their customers only, according to the conversation I had with them. Rants on this forum or elsewhere are not going to be enough to change anyone's mind. There needs to be pressure from Corporate to open them up, as Mogur has noted. Until the EVP infrastructure gets off the ground, the dealerships are almost the only opportunity charging possibilities around. They should all be open and available to any Leaf owner 24/7, IMHO, and obviously that is not happening.

TT

I would bet that some of these dealers have sold few or ever zero LEAFs. If so, they have no real skin in the EV game yet. Nissan might have trouble pressuring these dealers over future LEAF orders since the dealers have nothing to lose. If Nissan held back Altima's, then that's another story.

TRONZ said:
I would bet that some of these dealers have sold few or ever zero LEAFs. If so, they have no real skin in the EV game yet. Nissan might have trouble pressuring these dealers over future LEAF orders since the dealers have nothing to lose. If Nissan held back Altima's, then that's another story.
Pacific Nissan is adjacent to La Jolla and is the closest dealer for a number of affluent coastal areas. I'm confident they sold their share of Leafs. It goes the other way, too. Is Nissan REALLY going to do much to a dealer who is selling a good number of Leafs, and has invested in the equipment and training? I was hoping they would, but I think the answer is no.

ttweed said:
As of yesterday, their EVSE equipment usage is still limited to their customers only, according to the conversation I had with them.
Ouch - did you let them know how disappointed you are in that policy? I'm really, really happy I went with Leon @ Mossy at this point! One lost sale will cost them more than a year of 24/7 use of an EVSE - and what better way to promote business by encouraging other LEAF owners to stop on by and hang out for a bit? You know they're going to be local potential customers!

I can see both sides of this.

But from this dealers perspective, they sell a couple Leafs to some excited customers. One day, their customer decides to stop by and charge their car for a bit and another Leaf is already charging there...bought at another dealership. So now their own customer has to wait.

Sure, the manager could ask Leaf owner to unplug their car and let their customer charge but the point is, they want to reserve the charging points for THEIR own customers, people who bought the car from this dealership.

Its not like that Train..

Like welfare, people get used to free stuff and get REALLY upset when suddenly its not free anymore.. not a nice thing to do when you get used to it.

I posted the below in the other thread regarding Pacific Nissan not allowing public charging. Beyond the Nissan corp issue, I wonder if there are any federal rules they're in violation of? These dealerships have no doubt taken advantage of the federal tax treatments for their installation of those EVSEs. If there's not any stipulations in those federal rules that those EVSE should be available to the public, there should be.

ENIAC said:
In numerous interviews, Mark Perry has stated that dealers who sell the Nissan LEAF first must attain zero-emission certification. The zero-emission certification includes personnel training and an investment in the tools as well as charging to support the sale and service of the Nissan LEAF. All zero-emission certified dealerships must have at least four Level 2 EVSEs. Two EVSEs in the service bay and two EVSEs available to the public.

Train said:

But from this dealers perspective, they sell a couple Leafs to some excited customers. One day, their customer decides to stop by and charge their car for a bit and another Leaf is already charging there...bought at another dealership. So now their own customer has to wait.

Sure, the manager could ask Leaf owner to unplug their car and let their customer charge but the point is, they want to reserve the charging points for THEIR own customers, people who bought the car from this dealership.

they have four charge ports. How likely is this scenario of nowhere-to-charge from a "customer"?
and if that is happening, why not install a few more. It is a cost of doing business.
or, as a dealer, would you rather try to sell a car that your "customer" cant take to any dealer and extend the range?
When traveling across country in the old days in my new volvo, I was always able to get an emergency fix of a busted part, warranty issue or other problem at the local volvo dealer. I recall spending the night in Denver when we had a warning light go on as we crossed the Rockies.
They didnt turn me away cause I was NOT one of theirs. Sure, they charged me to do the repair but did a local customer have to wait behind me cause I got his service spot?
probably so.
This is a network that Nissan is building and charging and service is part of it.

every dealer will want use the dealer network when they try to sell the car in the future
"Range won't be a problem, you can stop by any Nissan dealer and top up"

It only makes since that the network be in place and shared to all.
Now it sounds like you need to call and make sure that they are willing to help.

I guess you could have it towed to the service bay for repair.
(it's out of power I need you to fix it)

To me this should be treated like warranty work: just like I can get Nissan warranty work at any dealership because I own a Nissan product under warranty, I should be able to use the "public" charger at any Nissan dealership because I own a Nissan EV. Nissan needs to get off it's rear and contractually address this properly so dealerships stop this type of behavior. If it truly already part of the contract language between Nissan corporate and individual dealerships, the Nissan needs to enforce the language.

Either way, to me the ball is in Nissan corporate's court.

Adrian said:
To me this should be treated like warranty work: just like I can get Nissan warranty work at any dealership because I own a Nissan product under warranty, I should be able to use the "public" charger at any Nissan dealership because I own a Nissan EV. Nissan needs to get off it's rear and contractually address this properly so dealerships stop this type of behavior. If it truly already part of the contract language between Nissan corporate and individual dealerships, the Nissan needs to enforce the language.

Either way, to me the ball is in Nissan corporate's court.

yes, but the dealers should do the right thing, which is also the smart thing.
they are prolly too tied up in their galtian philosophy and knee-jerk entrepreneurial selfishness.
sad.

Train said:

Do they have two? How about one for public 24/7 and a the rest for inside customers. A one hour time limit would also be a courtesy. There are lots of ways to balance the use of the chargers without just a flat NO. Besides maybe they could sell an accessory while waiting for a charge or a new car to the spouse if they appeared friendly :roll: ;)

How else does a business expand the customer base unless they convert a noncustomer into a customer :roll:

Back