Cargo organizer. Is the idea to make a flat surface in back?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

* Cargo organizer. Is the idea to make a flat surface in back?. If that is the case It would be handy for us but I see them on sale on ebay and wonder why people are getting rid of them.

* Are they universal or do some years not fit other years. Ours is a 2016 SV

Opinions please.

Thanks

John and Angela

From the point of view of a Leaf owner: flat floor (when needed) is the primary benefit

From Nissan's point of view: always a good idea to offer a high markup accessory that appeals to people's desire to be neat and tidy

For many SUV owners, privacy covers and storage organizers tend to get relegated to a corner of the garage and forgotten about.

Also, some offered for sale used may be because not turned in when lease returned - as not required to.

Some friendly and generous Leaf people give theirs away when they no longer want it, while others think they should have a street value close to retail.

Middle ground of around $90 seems reasonable to me, if in excellent condition. Much less if stained, damaged, etc.

No difference between dimensions of 2013+ and earlier ones. Only difference is trim color (charcoal vs. gray). Hence different part #.

When fitted in a 2011 or 2012, the gap to the back seat looks less pronounced than for a 2013+ because of presence or absence of charger hump.

I have used the same organizer in both of my Leafs - so, yes, I believe they are interchangeable among all models. Candidly, the gray organizer looks fine in the black interior and vice-versa IMO. It gives you a flat floor in the back, and the two covered cargo bins are very useful. It is my favorite accessory.

Online pricing was about $140 when I ordered. The design is universal, or more specifically, it hasn't been redesigned since the cargo area hump was eliminated in 2013. So on the newer cars, there is a gap between the cargo organizer and rear seats. That gap is either useful, say for the tire for bicycle, or it is an annoyance, and a few industrious owners have fabricated covers for the gap. Personally, I was thinking of building a drop-in box to fit in the gap with a hinged lid, then covering the lid in matching felt. I guess it hasn't bothered me all that much since I haven't done that yet.

I find the cargo organizer very useful. The smaller of the two storage compartments makes a great place to keep the 120 V EVSE "trickle charging" cable, replacing the zipper bag. The larger of the two storage compartments is great for groceries, or anything else. If I need to have the entire cargo space available, I did not bolt the organizer in, so it is easily lifted out. In a pinch it can sit on the folded backs of the rear seats. Another nice touch are the grocery bag hooks on the underside of the lids. When the lids are vertically inserted in the slots, the optional cargo cover can still close horizontally when the hatch is closed.

Back