Has the Leaf inspired you to drive more Zen like?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodengroden

After my recent 70 mile RT on Sunday in our Leaf I noticed that even in my gas car I'm much more aware of driving over 65. I find myself staying in the right lane. It's not a strong urge to conserve but perhaps the Leaf has taught me the joys of taking it easy. Yesterday on the 52 I noticed an older lady driving an original bug that I'm sure has been hers for the last 40 years. I probably would have zoomed past her without looking before I started driving slower...

Is this just me or are others experiencing this as well?

It's not just you. Makes you wonder why, given the choice, many of us devedoped such an aggressive driving style. Big cars, loud exhausts, senseless bursts of acceleration, running at full speed until the last possible second and slamming on the brakes, etc. What did it accomplish?

-Karl

I do not even have the Leaf yet, but I have already changed my driving habits, which I needed to do for a long time. I was getting too aggressive on the roads. Leaf has helped me find my softer side again....and I like it :)

kolmstead said:
It's not just you. Makes you wonder why, given the choice, many of us devedoped such an aggressive driving style. Big cars, loud exhausts, senseless bursts of acceleration, running at full speed until the last possible second and slamming on the brakes, etc. What did it accomplish?

-Karl

Well, personally for me I enjoy driving and I consider it entertainment. It's not about just getting from point A to point B for me, it's about the journey. I like to drive "spirited" because it's more fun and keeps me more alert.

Note that this is different than driving like an A-hole. I'm not meaning weaving in and out of traffic and being dangerous or rude to others, just having some fun when and where I can. I like darting off the line, and I like cornering hard.

Granted, I also like driving my Xebra, in which I can't do any of that simply because it can't... Very different type of vehicle that requires a very different driving style, and I like them both.

What kind of a driver will I be in the Leaf? Not sure yet, will be interesting to see. But considering how the Leaf performed in my test drive event, I'm assuming it will be more on the "spirited" side as I don't need the range and the car is VERY fun to drive! I think it's going to be fun to SILENTLY launch off the line when the light turns green while the car beside me is revving the engine! :) (oh, blast it, I forgot about the stupid noisemaker. Well, SORTA-silently)

The anticipation of buying a Leaf hasn't had a direct effect on my driving habits, but it is a part of the whole picture. About 18 months ago I modified my driving style over concern about climate change. I realized one thing I could do immediately, at no cost except a bit of time, was burn less gas by driving slower, accelerating gently, trying to coast up to stop lights instead of using the brakes, etc. The results:

--commute time has increased by less than 5 minutes each way (out of 30 minutes total). The heavier the traffic, the less effect my new driving style has on increasing commute time
--I feel very relaxed driving, as I am not in a hurry to get anywhere
--less likely to get in an accident
--decreased risk of injury if I do get in an accident, due to lower speed
--getting a speeding ticket is now a virtual impossibility
--gas mileage is now averaging 28 MPG overall (75% Freeway, 25% city) even in my 2002 V6 Camry

The only time I drive 65-70 MPH now is on long trips (greater than about 100 miles), since the travel time is already long and I can't stand sitting extra time in the car on a 300 mile trip. However, that only accounts for about 3,000 miles per year compared to perhaps 12,000 miles per year for the rest of my driving.

Glad you brought this topic up!

me too! Esp. in the last couple of days after I came thisclose to getting into an accident due to my impatience. I've banned myself to ECO mode to slow myself down!

Not having a full-time vehicle for two years, I definitely drive a lot differently than I previously did. I use a Zipcar about once a month when I need to drive somewhere and find myself driving at the speed limit (or just under) and being a lot more cautious at intersections and when pedestrians or bicyclists are around. I think part of it is that I'm not really in a hurry anymore to get somewhere (you can't be in a hurry when riding the bus or train) and I think about how I felt as a pedestrian or bicyclist.

I think the real test will be how I'm driving after about a year. I used to drive extremely aggressively... No defensive driving here, I was all offense! :D

Stoaty said:
The anticipation of buying a Leaf hasn't had a direct effect on my driving habits, but it is a part of the whole picture. About 18 months ago I modified my driving style over concern about climate change. I realized one thing I could do immediately, at no cost except a bit of time, was burn less gas by driving slower, accelerating gently, trying to coast up to stop lights instead of using the brakes, etc. The results:

--commute time has increased by less than 5 minutes each way (out of 30 minutes total). The heavier the traffic, the less effect my new driving style has on increasing commute time
--I feel very relaxed driving, as I am not in a hurry to get anywhere
--less likely to get in an accident
--decreased risk of injury if I do get in an accident, due to lower speed
--getting a speeding ticket is now a virtual impossibility
--gas mileage is now averaging 28 MPG overall (75% Freeway, 25% city) even in my 2002 V6 Camry

The only time I drive 65-70 MPH now is on long trips (greater than about 100 miles), since the travel time is already long and I can't stand sitting extra time in the car on a 300 mile trip. However, that only accounts for about 3,000 miles per year compared to perhaps 12,000 miles per year for the rest of my driving.

Glad you brought this topic up!

I agree 100%

bodengroden said:
After my recent 70 mile RT on Sunday in our Leaf I noticed that even in my gas car I'm much more aware of driving over 65. I find myself staying in the right lane. It's not a strong urge to conserve but perhaps the Leaf has taught me the joys of taking it easy. Yesterday on the 52 I noticed an older lady driving an original bug that I'm sure has been hers for the last 40 years. I probably would have zoomed past her without looking before I started driving slower...

Is this just me or are others experiencing this as well?

My partner had the Leaf yesterday so I took my BMW down to Carmax so they could insult me with their offer. :lol: But on the drive down, I was thinking the EXACT same thing as you are, Bodengroden!! I used to drive very 'spiritedly', but now I'm totally Zenning Out (ZO?) when I'm in the car, and for the exact same reasons Stoaty mentioned above. Driving is actually a PLEASURE now!!!

I had to make a quick run to the store this morning for breakfast stuff. I drove the Leaf and enjoyed the heck out of the trip (knowing the trip cost about 25% of what my hybrid would have used made it all the more enjoyable). I walked into the kitchen and told my partner "I absolutely LOVE this car!" :mrgreen: Who knew a CAR could do that to someone?!?!

It will just go to a new level of possibility. I have been hypermiling my F150 for ten years. Did the same for the ten years I had a Chevy Sprint (50+mpg) And even the motorcycle, Dodge Coronet, and Mustang I had before that. I do have a lead foot at times but it is rather rare.

The car is very 'zen' but I have to admit, I'm driving much faster off the line, at the turn of a green light and faster on the freeway, too. I can't help myself! With (somewhat) guilty pleasure, when I see a Prius on the freeway, I jam on past it. Take that, tailpipes! Zero emissions doesn't mean zero fun; quite the opposite!

On the other hand, even though I have no idea what eco trees signify (thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2440), I occasionally try to build a few branches, especially when I'm close to topping one off!

I used to hate driving, and all that it entailed. Now I'll use any excuse to get in the LEAF and buzz around! Like a kid!

leafkabob said:
Glenn's use of the phrase "linejumpers" may be my fault. I used it in a previous post simply because it was too cumbersome to type "those who ordered in Jan/Feb and got VINS and mid-April delivery dates." I wasn't trying to be mean. If anyone can come up with a better one-word description, I'll gladly drop linejumpers.
How Many Line Jumpers per kWh?

Let's start with definitions. By "line jumper" I don't mean Those Who Ordered in January and February Who Were Fortunate Enough to Get an Estimated April or May Delivery Date, more properly referred to by the acronym TWOIJAFWWFETGAEAOMDD. I am a TWOIJAFWWFETGAEAOMDD. Nor by line jumper do I mean a TWOIJAFWWFETGAEAOMDD Whose Car is Scheduled to Arrive Prior to a Similar Car Ordered in September or October. These people are more properly known as TWCISTAPTASCOISOO. Nor do I mean a TWCISTAPTASCOISOO Whose Car Actually Arrived Prior to Those for Earlier Orders, known as TWCAAPTTFEO.

By "line jumper" I mean a car that passes a line of slow traffic and cuts in at the last moment instead of patiently waiting his turn. On this forum although I've heard a lot of frustration directed at Nissan, I haven't heard any anger directed against the TWCAAPTTFEO or the TWCISTAPTASCOISOO, let alone against the TWOIJAFWWFETGAEAOMDD. Just a strong sense of fair play, and wanting Nissan to abide by their own rules of fair play.

So when that line jumper takes off from the traffic light, trying to take his ill gotten place ahead of all those who drive by the rules of fair play, don't you want him to fail? With just a little extra gas pedal you'll be ahead or abreast of him and he will have to at least partially fall back into line. That wastes gas though, and now in a Leaf it wastes kWh and range you may ill afford. And if you let the rude driver ahead of you then you'll arrive maybe 6 seconds after he does.

Bodengroden and others have written of the "Zen like" experience of driving the Leaf. So it's a question of what is the stronger impulse, the desire to save energy, or the desire for fairness in the world? We have quite a few more Leaf drivers today, so I'd like to ask again, has either the tranquility of its drive or the anxiety of its range led you to temper your desire for fairness? Do you now always let the jerks go ahead without worrying about it any more?

TRONZ said:
Uuuuuuuhhh.... No! I drive it like I stole it.

I'm just going to have fun with it. Not necessarily like I stole it, because that would involve a lot of looking in my rearview mirrors. :lol: But I'm definitely going to have fun leaving unsuspecting ICE cars at traffic lights.

I just got mine home today and I went out for a bit of fun driving before sunset. I saw a Corvette behind me and I decided to gun it away from a light, just to surprise him. I realized I was getting a bit too excited for my first hour of owning the car, so I toned it down after that. But I'm glad to say that the LEAF can be a willing partner in driving fun.

Back