golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm

igorcarajo wrote:I’m extremely disappointed after reading this thread. I have a 2011 Leaf that gives me 35 miles on a good day. All along I had been mentally preparing myself to fork over $5000 to get a new battery, and now it’s $8500. And if I don’t replace the battery, the car wouln’t be worth anything.

You actually sound like a great candidate for what Fenix is trying to do. Check out this thread for more info.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26597
2015 S with Charge Package

Usaverageguy
Delivery Date: 16 Apr 2016
Leaf Number: 016396

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 pm

proudapron wrote:Politics aside, can we confirm pack replacements are really $8500? I called a dealer today and they said anywhere from $4k to $9k, seems like quite the range...

I just had my battery replaced in my 2012 Leaf. The original quote was $7,700 and I agreed to go ahead with the replacement. Then the dealer called me back and said that they had learned that an "adapter" would be required and the price would be $8,800. They had already received the new battery. So I was able to negotiate a price of $8,200 and had the new battery replaced. If your local dealer has not yet done a replacement, they may be quoting a price they can not deliver on.

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 am

Usaverageguy wrote: The original quote was $7,700 and I agreed to go ahead with the replacement. Then the dealer called me back and said that they had learned that an "adapter" would be required and the price would be $8,800.

Some dealers are either careless in quoting, or looking for a way to tack-on whatever they can get ($1100 negotiated down to $500 in your case). For other Leaf owners getting battery swaps, it may be prudent to get three quotes first (if you live near 3+ dealers). Be sure to only authorize work in the amount you discussed (*). If the first dealer "discovers" that the price needs to go up by $1k, then go to one of the other dealers... even if the first says they "already ordered and received the battery," as in USaverageGuy's case.

(*)those dealer work authorizations have too much fine print to read+understand. If anyone here knows how to make a dealer "work to a bid price", it would be helpful to hear.

igorcarajo
Delivery Date: 30 Nov 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Usaverageguy wrote:I just had my battery replaced in my 2012 Leaf. The original quote was $7,700 and I agreed to go ahead with the replacement. Then the dealer called me back and said that they had learned that an "adapter" would be required and the price would be $8,800. They had already received the new battery. So I was able to negotiate a price of $8,200 and had the new battery replaced. If your local dealer has not yet done a replacement, they may be quoting a price they can not deliver on.

How many miles do you get on a full charge with your new battery?

gmcjetpilot
Delivery Date: 07 Oct 2017
Leaf Number: 305601

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:07 pm

Two questions.

What about the rebuilt ones that replace the individual modules as required (ones that are less 80%) reported to be less than $3000.

What about DIY swap? How hard is it to drop the pack down and put the new one in?

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 pm

gmcjetpilot wrote:What about the rebuilt ones that replace the individual modules as required (ones that are less 80%) reported to be less than $3000.

If you could point me to where it says they're available in the US...

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

You can get a 15% discount ($500 max) from Costco that can be used at a nearby Nissan dealer for parts and service. It should be good for the battery replacement up to $500....

https://www.costcoauto.com/parts_and_service/

gmcjetpilot

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:21 am

cwerdna wrote:
gmcjetpilot wrote:What about the rebuilt ones that replace the individual modules as required (ones that are less 80%) reported to be less than $3000.
If you could point me to where it says they're available in the US...
Are you being rhetorical or just lazy? Do your own research. Google it. There are used and aftermarket batteries, but forgot where I saw them. This article states Nissan has launched a program this year in Japan, but will extend to other countries.

"torque news"
By Armen Hareyan G+ Mar 27 2018
Nissan's Battery Exchange Program Details and Cost for Old Leaf Owners

Nissan is doing something really big for old Leaf owners exchanging their batteries. For now it starts in Japan, but later will spread. Here are the details and cost of Nissan Leaf's batter exchange program.

There is the used market, salvaged LEAF's.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Nissan has made no official remarks about extending the refurbished battery program to the US as far as I know. It would be big news if/when it happens and it would be all over this site if it was operational.

You can probably find someone to replace your pack with a used one but Nissan will have no part of it. There are threads here where people have done it so you can gauge for yourself how hard it is. I'd say it's about as hard as swapping an engine in an old VW Beetle or something similiar so it's not that hard.

The big differences are 1) the voltages in the pack can kill you so you need to understand enough about electricity and circuits to be safe and 2) there are computerized parts that either need to be swapped or re-programmed by the dealer so the recipient car will work with the donor battery pack.

Then there are all the usual caveats about buying used parts. How can you tell the battery's condition, etc and whether it is truly compatible with the recipient car, etc. Lots of info on the threads where this has been done.

gmcjetpilot

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

goldbrick wrote:Nissan has made no official remarks about extending the refurbished battery program to the US as far as I know. It would be big news if/when it happens and it would be all over this site if it was operational.

You can probably find someone to replace your pack with a used one but Nissan will have no part of it. There are threads here where people have done it so you can gauge for yourself how hard it is. I'd say it's about as hard as swapping an engine in an old VW Beetle or something similiar so it's not that hard.

The big differences are 1) the voltages in the pack can kill you so you need to understand enough about electricity and circuits to be safe and 2) there are computerized parts that either need to be swapped or re-programmed by the dealer so the recipient car will work with the donor battery pack.

Then there are all the usual caveats about buying used parts. How can you tell the battery's condition, etc and whether it is truly compatible with the recipient car, etc. Lots of info on the threads where this has been done.
Good to know, so depending on who Nissian got to do the pack refurbishments (it's a vendor) and how well it goes, it may or may not come to North America. I suspect the reported $3000 for a pack that is already 20% down may not be worth it.

Youtube has some videos on dropping the pack and taking modules out and apart. Lost my taste for removing individual modules. It can be done however....

Yes, need to have balanced cells and same chemistry. I have a lizard battery circa 2015 (actual manufacture late 2014). I would need similar chemistry if I retained some modules from original pack. As you say the electronics all have to match. Makes more sense to get a used pack from a salvaged LEAF (totaled due to collision) and swap the whole pack.

I'm away from having to do anything. This battery should go 3-6 more years or more. Who knows??? I've been meaning to post my Leaf spy pro readings for a diagnosis on the forum. The other option is sell the LEAF and wait to buy a used BOLT or Kona. However battery degradation is a given on all EV's, but the non liquid cooled smaller packs (LEAF) seem to suffer the most..

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”