Will Taco Bell taco sauce stain the LEAF interior?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

I have not been to Taco Bell since I was in high school but when I get my LEAF I will likely want to drive it all over and I thought I may go to TB just to see if it is as bad as it was way back when. So the question is, if I eat in the car as some will and I spill some of that caustic stuff on the seats do you guys (and gals) think it will stain the LEAF interior? Will it come out? I suspect some will do this so I figured I would ask to share the learnings or prevent any disasters. I'm thinking the Fire sauce, perhaps we could share experiences on all sauces? Oh, I will be eating in the car for sure so that's why I ask this question. Cleaning tips are appreciated and I suppose we can open this up to any sauce but I was trying to keep it focused.

Thanks-

There is a clone sauce here for those that will be testing this at home!

http://www.grouprecipes.com/83589/taco-bell-fire-sauce-clone.html

I wonder about staining too. However, since the seat fabric is made from recycled plastic bottles, I'm thinking it may actually be pretty stain resistant. But I'm nit eager to test it myself. If you find out the hard way, try one of those tide stain pens. They work pretty good on clothes!

That brings up another point. SInce Taco Bell meat is not really meat but some recycled soy product, and they LEAF seats may have soy products since many recycled plastics do, will the two react and melt? Like mercury on aluminum. Perhaps I should go to Jack in The Box instead? Wait, they sell tacos there too, mystery tacos with soy I bet! Or is it Friskies Buffet?

Taco Bell meat is mostly meat, it would be better for ya if it was actually made from soy.. they sure put a lot of salt in it (I think the store managers do, cant be corporate policy), probably to sell you more sugared water.

I bet the stain will be permanent.. mostly faded orange but permanent. Depends on how porous the recycled plastic is and how much water you are willing to use.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oxygen-Cleaner-All-Purpose-Stain-Remover-Powder/13908578

Generic instructions for tomato stains:

"Washable Fabrics

Follow these steps to remove tomato juice and tomato sauce stains from washable fabrics such as Acrylic Fabric, Modacrylic, Nylon, Olefin, Polyester and Spandex:
Sponge stain with cool water immediately.
Then rub with a lemon slice or sponge lemon juice on the stain.
Flush with water, blotting as much liquid as possible.
Allow to dry.

If any trace of stain persists:
Presoak (the method of soaking a stained article in warm water before laundering it) in a solution of 1 quart warm water, 1/2 teaspoon dishwashing detergent, and 1 tablespoon white vinegar for 15 minutes.
Rinse with water and launder as soon as possible."

i would have to say...no

my 2006 Prius has the same (looks and feels the same) microfiber weave on the seats and i actually spilled taco sauce a few times. the fiber tends to keep sauces and fluids from not soaking in as long as its not drenched.

most stains wipe off with water including one that was at least a week old, baked by the summer sun by the time i saw it

I think that TB sauce could be disastrous. I'm a coin collector; and if you put TB sauce on a shiny new coin, it will permanently stain it the color of vomit in short order. :mrgreen:

So.....no Taco Bell for Leaf drivers! :eek:

I have already had one big stain, 2 days after getting the car. My daughter went to a friends house, they were on her trampoline next to a olive tree. There were tons of black olive smashed on the ground, I told everyone to watch there step and check their shoes before getting in. We did. When we got home and my daughter got out of the back seat, olive stain!! I actually used my carpet steam cleaning machine with water only, in a couple of seconds, the stain came right up. No sign of it :D

I keep thinking of that scene in Aliens when the acid burns through the floors.

:)

hobbyguy said:
I have already had one big stain, 2 days after getting the car. My daughter went to a friends house, they were on her trampoline next to a olive tree. There were tons of black olive smashed on the ground, I told everyone to watch there step and check their shoes before getting in. We did. When we got home and my daughter got out of the back seat, olive stain!! I actually used my carpet steam cleaning machine with water only, in a couple of seconds, the stain came right up. No sign of it :D

Olives are really tough, we had an olive tree at my house when I was a kid and it stained the concrete. I don't have one now but I do like the ones in drinks so if any fall in my lap they could end up on the floor and in the car, that's a good tip. I believe Scotch Guard is not longer the same formula but there are places that treat the seats professionally.

I bought a box that I'm gong to mount on the passenger side dash that will hold 100 pair of gloves, these will be for guests to wear for they don't get dirt on the door handles and in case they are "seat grabbers". Now that I think about it, those disposable booties would be nice. Nissan should have provided washable models with the LEAF logo, they could come with the ECO package.

If things get bad I may tap into the heater system and hook up a 12v powered brush/steam cleaner unit I can plug in and use the heater hot water to clean the seats on the go. This entire seat issue is a real challenge, but this thread is more helpful than I thought.

EVDRIVER said:
I bought a box that I'm gong to mount on the passenger side dash that will hold 100 pair of gloves, these will be for guests to wear for they don't get dirt on the door handles and in case they are "seat grabbers". Now that I think about it, those disposable booties would be nice. Nissan should have provided washable models with the LEAF logo, they could come with the ECO package.

Are you really serious? "Can you put these gloves on before you get into the car?"

My response would be "Uh....I think I'll just walk. I'll see ya there!"

Howard Hughs called...he said you two need to talk! :lol:

GroundLoop said:
Y'all got cloth samples in the mail, right?

You're one Taco Bell Fire Sauce packet away from your answer...

I have already had that entire packet framed professionally and placed on my wall along with my tee shirt and AV installation poster. I assumed everyone did that?

hobbyguy said:
I actually used my carpet steam cleaning machine with water only, in a couple of seconds, the stain came right up. No sign of it :D
You might want to watch about doing that on a front seat. They actually warn you not to in the owner's manual because of the occupant sensors for the airbags...

I bought a box that I'm gong to mount on the passenger side dash that will hold 100 pair of gloves, these will be for guests to wear for they don't get dirt on the door handles and in case they are "seat grabbers". Now that I think about it, those disposable booties would be nice.

The doctor will see you now...

:cool: :)

smkettner said:
Jeezo, just go inside and relax. If you must drive through take it home. TB will taste about the same a few hours later ;)

Clearly you don't know it tastes better while driving. Once I install heated seats I will consider using them to keep it warm on the drive home. I can fold the seat over on the bag so there is heat from both sides.

Back