Charging battery at 6/12 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxLeafPower

I understand charging these batteries to 100% is bad. I was wondering if I had 6/12 bars and I charge to 100% is it charging all of 24kw or just 12kw?

I've been charging at 80% but I'm considering charging at 100% since I just lost another bar, 5/12 now, so I'm going to have to replace the battery no matter how much I baby it.

the battery no longer has 24kwh of capacity (it charges only about 21-22kwh when new anyway). You are now down to 12ish or so. If you plug in a chargepoint or other charger when you're empty, it will tell you how much it charged if it has that feature. The battery will be 'full' however, because the cells will be at their full voltage, so degradation is still higher at 100% charge vs 80%. Since your battery is so degraded, it will matter less how you charge, as it's already bad no matter what. Charge so that you can get your trips done, that is what the car is for. If it can no longer do your trips, then charge to 100%. cost per mile is still miniscule with the Leaf vs another ICE car.

FWIW, I turned off my charge timers and just started charging to 100% every time I plugged in...once I was down 3 capacity bars. Of course, I was looking to drop that 4th bar at the time, but (like you said) the battery was on it's "last legs".

Back