smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: two-phase 50amps electric switch for EV charger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:48 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Nothing unplugged, however.

Yeah, lightning isn't Bad Magic - it can't plug things back in and then fry them, and it can't jump several feet or more inside the house from plug to socket. Maybe if the EVSE were unplugged but the plug was still just inches away from the socket, and aligned with it...
My point was the breaker is not going to be protecting against a lightning strike.
Although consider unplugging the vehicle.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:18 am

Baltneu wrote:I keep my EVSE supplied by Nissan plugged in all the time to the 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
Never heard of unplugging when not in use. It does not draw any power until plugged into the car.

Ditto, except in the case of lightning.

As for the latter. Not true. The EVSE does draw a tiny bit of power (usually just a few watts) when in standby as opposed to thousands of watts (passed to the car) when the connected car is actively charging.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 pm

I do not have a Leaf any more to measure it but the OpenEVSE units I build draw less that 3W in standby. EVSE's draw very little when they are not working. Certainly in league with a clock.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

GRA

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:55 pm

^^^H'mm, ca. 26.28kWh/year assuming only standby. Money-wise it's irrelevant, but on a nation-wide basis x 120m households the energy starts to add up, 3.1536GWh, although still a tiny fraction of U.S. electricity usage (not far short of 4 PWh). During my off-grid sales days I was once chastised by housemates because I insisted they unplug the microwave between uses to eliminate the vampire draw of the clock. Negotiations reached a compromise - they'd leave it plugged in, and cover the annual extra cost of a few bucks :lol: But even now, many residences and living situations later, I still have my infotainment electronics on a switched powerstrip - when they're off, they're OFF. The microwave stays plugged in because it's the only clock in that part of my place.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Tagar
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2018

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 am

Here's my EV charger project photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZgZ3eSi6bWPx6iU8
(the drywall now needs some spackling and painting )

ps. With feedback from this forum, I haven't installed the switch so NEMA 14-50 and charger will always be energized

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:53 am

Tagar wrote:Here's my EV charger project photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZgZ3eSi6bWPx6iU8
(the drywall now needs some spackling and painting )

My only suggestion would be to add strain relief to the J1772 cable, so that the weight of the cable doesn't put pressure on the grommet where it enters the top of the EVSE.

Here's my high-tech strain relief. The plastic jar has a 2x2" piece of plywood in the base (to keep the wood screw from tearing-through the plastic), and I zip-tied a bigger jar lid over the regular jar lid.

Tagar
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2018

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Very nice. I agree, it needs a strain relief

Do I see a timer there? Which model / type is that?

Thank you @specialgreen

specialgreen

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Tagar wrote:Very nice. I agree, it needs a strain relief

Do I see a timer there? Which model / type is that?

Thank you @specialgreen

Hi, Tagar. I'm using a 12-hour Intermatic timer, available for about $18 at any "big box" hardware store. I put the timer in-line with the low-voltage control wire from the J1772 (I extended the control wire out to the timer then back to the EVSE), rather than inserting the timer in-line with utility power. To do this you need to run an additional pair of low-voltage wires from the EVSE out to the timer. Since it's low voltage, the amp rating on the timer doesn't matter.

I charge one of two ways:
  • Usually I want to limit charge to 80%, so I twist the timer roughly 1 hour per 10% needed, and I hit the "timer cancel" inside the car so the charging starts immediately. Charging about 3 hours per day is pretty typical, as I drive about 10k miles/year.
  • If I want a full charge for the following day, then I just twist the timer to 12 hours, and let the car timer handle it.

If you have cheap time-of-day power rates at 2am, then this crude timer isn't good enough.
Last edited by specialgreen on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Why are you using the car's timer at all with this setup?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

specialgreen

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:48 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Why are you using the car's timer at all with this setup?

That's what my spouse asks :) . The only benefit is if I will be needing the full range the next day, then having the timer keeps the Leaf from charging to 100% immediately, and sitting at 100% until the next morning. That only happens one or two times each month, and pack balancing usually adds 2+ hours to charge time, so we're only talking about sitting at 100% for maybe 7-14 hours per month (at night). You and my spouse are right, probably not worth having to hit "cancel" on the other 28 days.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”