Minimum Charge Voltage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thick8

My work is finally installing a 240v plug in my parking space. It’s about 100” from the main junction box. I think it will need a sub box installed and at least 4 awg aluminum cable to accommodate for voltage drop. Not sure what the minimum voltage input of the cable and charger is. Any electricians that can weigh in so this only has to be done once?
Thanks.
John

Not sure, but common commercial power is only 208 volts and Leafs charge fine on that. Some places are probably putting out about 200 volts anyway. Japanese voltages are 100 and 200 volts.

Can you fix your post title?

cwerdna said:
Not sure, but common commercial power is only 208 volts and Leafs charge fine on that. Some places are probably putting out about 200 volts anyway. Japanese voltages are 100 and 200 volts.

The 2018 Leaf, at least with the OEM dual voltage EVSE, won't charge on 208 volts, from what I've read here.

OP, did you mean "Minimum Charge Voltage"? If you fix that in your first post title it will then appear correctly in the board index. I can do it, but I need to know if I guessed correctly...

When ever I work on a "208v system" my meter usually shows between 220 and 230v..
The highest I ever remember seeing was 234 and the lowest was 218.

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:

The 2018 Leaf, at least with the OEM dual voltage EVSE, won't charge on 208 volts, from what I've read here.
Yeah, saw something about that.

FWIW, almost all the juice my '13 Leafs have ever received has been from 208 volt L2 EVSEs. Only VERY few times have I actually encountered public 240 volt charging (judging by what Leaf Spy shows and validated by ChargePoint, if applicable). In both cases, they were Targets but it's certainly not true of all the Targets L2 I've charged at.

Teslas show you the supply voltage on their touchscreen and app. I've asked a few Tesla drivers and it's usually 208 volts, give or take a few (but often less). They charge on our Tesla Wall Connectors at work and Chargepoint J1772 EVSEs.

As been noted the voltage will probably start at 208V. That is what you get from a wye providing 120VAC. Someone mentioned the 2018 Leaf;s dual voltage EVSE does not like 208V so you may have to go with a commercial EVSE.

I am retired now but when I was working I used an OpenEVSE running fine on 208V. It is really nice to have free electricity!

Back