The Official: "OH NO-My Leaf's Already in the Shop" Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

Maybe folks can post symptoms, how long they've owned their leaf, what their dealer is saying is wrong. Here's the first I've seen:

#52 (Waidy) on the spread sheet (VIN 299) is in the shop. "Turtle Light Issue" (I got wind on another forum) a couple days ago in that it would NOT turn on, even at 0 miles left (energy charged was 23.899kWh). Now (Feb 21) the dealer is saying that the turtle lights means "engine light, or check engine light" . . . that "if it is on, it means it needs service". They (dealer) confirmed this with the field service engineer.

I'm going to guess that production may get affected, if too many folks begin having similar symptoms. As it stands, dividing the number of deliveries on the spreadsheet by just one Leaf in the shop, means a little under 2% of deliveries on the spreadsheet are in need of service.

Well we know THAT's not right about the turtle light. Or do they mean if it STAYS on?

Anyway, 2% sounds about right for most products manufacturing defect rate... That's pretty typical.

Don't know ... only what she'd written ... that at 0 range left ... NO turtle light ... but apparently after charge, it WAS on. She IS smart enough to know when discharged, the turtle IS supposed to be on. Have to wait n see for more detail. It does make me wonder whether the turtle light has more than one function (ie low charge or errors)

hill said:
It does make me wonder whether the turtle light has more than one function (ie low charge or errors)
Not according to the manuals. Which dealership is this ?

evnow said:
hill said:
It does make me wonder whether the turtle light has more than one function (ie low charge or errors)
Not according to the manuals. [...]

From 2011 LEAF Owner's Manual:

Page EV-4: "The power limitation indicator light [ the "turtle" light ] may also illuminates when the Li-ion battery temperature gauge has reached its upper or lower limits or when a malfunction has occurred."

Page 2-19: "This [ Power limitation indicator light ] light illuminates in the following conditions.
Li-ion battery available charge is extremely low.
When the EV system has a malfunction."

Maybe they should use a "turtle on its back" light to indicate malfunctions. :)

evnow said:
hill said:
Not according to the manuals. Which dealership is this ?

Thank you aqn for finding this issue in the manual

I believe her Leaf came from Sunnyvale Nissan . . . according to the spreadsheet.

aqn said:
Maybe they should use a "turtle on its back" light to indicate malfunctions. :)
Thanks for finding the info. I'm totally with you on this suggestion ;)

Here are all the warnings in the user manual. There is a separate symbol for EV System. Not sure what the difference would be ... may be this is the warning and the turtle is the error.

Back