To buy or not to buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't decide. I have a 2013 Leaf S. It has 25k miles on it (at 10 bars remaining). I owe about $4500 on it. I was looking at 2018 SL's on Carvana for around 24-28k-ish. Obviously my payment would go up, but I'd get a lot more car. My commute is only 6 miles each way, so range isn't really an issue.

Anyway, I can't decide if I should just hang on to the S, and have it paid off (I'm guessing it'll run forever) or spring for something newer/nicer. I was also considering the VW e-Golf or maybe a Bolt. I don't know.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

I like my 2018. It’s got more range & more horsepower then my Dad’s 2016. It feels like a different car. I also really like the e-pedal.
My only regret is getting the S instead of SV.

Yeah, that's the regret I've had with my 2013 S. I've had it about 2.5 years. Id love some more tech, Android Auto, etc...and the regenetive braking!

morganmms said:
I just can't decide. I have a 2013 Leaf S. It has 25k miles on it (at 10 bars remaining). I owe about $4500 on it. I was looking at 2018 SL's on Carvana for around 24-28k-ish. Obviously my payment would go up, but I'd get a lot more car. My commute is only 6 miles each way, so range isn't really an issue.

Anyway, I can't decide if I should just hang on to the S, and have it paid off (I'm guessing it'll run forever) or spring for something newer/nicer. I was also considering the VW e-Golf or maybe a Bolt. I don't know.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Consider brand new. A brand new nicely equipped 2019 SV can be had for $31,000 with just dealer discounts. Plus interest rates on new cars are lower than older cars. Plus you have a new car warranty.

If you expect to have income to at least pay $7,500 in fed income tax you can claim a credit of full $7,500 for 2019 taxes. Check with your tax preparer. So that would bring down the net cost to about $24,000 which is less than a 2018 from Carvana.

Your question is a no brainer... Let's see.... $4,500 to pay off, or $30,000+ to pay off... 12 miles per day? There is absolutely nothing wrong with an S model. Tech? = Toys. I am sorry I cannot be more direct...

powersurge said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with an S model. Tech? = Toys. I am sorry I cannot be more direct...

The resistance heater in my Model S drops my efficiency down to 2.6 miles/kwh in the winter. The hybrid heater in the Model SV might have given me enough additional range to go skiing. Instead, I need a second ICE vehicle in the winter.

Sounds like you have “range envy”. For a 12 mile commute, what you have is perfectly adequate even if you blast the heater all the way. If you want more than a 12 mile commuter car, whole different ball game.

I would pay off the existing Leaf then pay that same amount every month into a savings account. In a couple years you will have enough to put down on a 2018 or 19 at half the price. Let the depreciation work for you.

morganmms said:
Yeah, that's the regret I've had with my 2013 S. I've had it about 2.5 years. Id love some more tech, Android Auto, etc...and the regenetive braking!
What is wrong with the regenerative braking on your '13 S?

Thanks, lots of great thoughts everyone! I should make an ol' fashioned pros/cons list.

Dooglas said:
What is wrong with the regenerative braking on your '13 S?

My '13 S doesn't have a proper braking mode... (aside from the brake pedal) just Drive and Drive-ECO - No "B mode"... that'd "B" nice! I like the idea of the e-pedal on the '18.

You sound like you are just looking for a reason to buy a new Leaf...

The S model does not really use THAT much more energy for heating. You just have to use the heat sparingly, which is more than adequate.

You have a well-used electric car now. You will really not gain anything if you spend $30k+ to replace it...

Personally, although I dream of the day of getting a Leaf E+, I REFUSE to spend $45K for a Nissan econobox car... All of the Leafs + that I see at dealers are the SL model. They want maximum profit on those cars..

I would really like a Leaf S + for the $35k list price, and then negotiate down from there...

powersurge said:
You sound like you are just looking for a reason to buy a new Leaf...

The S model does not really use THAT much more energy for heating. You just have to use the heat sparingly, which is more than adequate.

You have a well-used electric car now. You will really not gain anything if you spend $30k+ to replace it...

Personally, although I dream of the day of getting a Leaf E+, I REFUSE to spend $45K for a Nissan econobox car... All of the Leafs + that I see at dealers are the SL model. They want maximum profit on those cars..

I would really like a Leaf S + for the $35k list price, and then negotiate down from there...

SL+ are being advertised for $38k around here (before negotiations) so the net cost would likely be under $30k with the tax credit after a little bargaining. I still think that is too much for the car though. You can probably buy a used for for under $20k in a couple of years if past depreciation is any guide.

To the OP, I think purchasing a new Leaf that is not HEAVILY discounted is a bad investment. The residual on a 3 year lease was 39% of MSRP when I leased one in March. That tells you all you need to know about the expected depreciation. That doesn't mean there aren't deals to be had you just need to look around and be willing to haggle.

In my opinion, If range isn't an issue with your short commute you should just keep what you have and save up for something that is truly a step up. My 2018 is slightly better than my 2015 was in almost every measure (looks, range, performance, features) but nothing about it blows me away... if range wasn't an issue I'd still be driving the 2015 because it was just cheap, reliable, electric transportation just like the new one is.

morganmms said:

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Based on how I got my 2018, If I was you I'd wait until next spring when 2020's are out and then you could easily score a leftover NEW 2019 for the 25ish you are looking at for used. BEFORE any rebates I got my 2018 sV with tech and all weather for 25 ish about 4 months back. It was a leftover on a dealer lot. With tax credits and local rebates I got a brand new 2018 for 15.5k. That's what I would recommend. Even with the high depreciation I actually have equity in my car.

Back