Upgrade your stock Nissan L1 EVSE to 240 volt for $200 !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulcan33

This company in Berkley CA is converting your standard equipment 110 volt Nissan L1 EVSE cable to handle 240 volts @ 14 amps. It will auto detect 120 or 220 and they have optional plugs that connect to its Nema L6-20 twist lock plug.
Sure sounds better than dealing with the expensive 220 volt permanent EVSE instal from AeroVironment plus you have portability. :eek:

"Our upgrade service for your Nissan EVSE improves the function of EVSE to provide a versatile auto-detect charging option on both 120V or 208/240V. This custom upgrade allows the user to still charge on a standard 120V outlet when needed and additionally on 240V for double the charge speed, where no charging station or only a standard outlet is available. The upgraded unit also acts as a great backup unit or even a replacement for a permanently installed home EVSE!"

http://evseupgrade.com/

Welcome, Vulcan....

There's already a 60 page thread on the topic, and many folks from the forums have had their Nissan/Panasonic EVSE successfully modified by Phil, me included...Works great!!!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707

Randy said:
Welcome, Vulcan....

There's already a 60 page thread on the topic, and many folks from the forums have had their Nissan/Panasonic EVSE successfully modified by Phil, me included...Works great!!!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707

I, for one, appreciated seeing called out and culled from that rather long discussion... I gave up figuring out who actually could be contracted to do the work...

As an aside and a matter of pragmatics, there are several topics that could be distilled into a FAQ summary on the site... I am not volunteering, but just sayin...

IF IF IF one anticipated being able to use 20 or 30-amp 240v circuits, AND 20-amp 120v circuits, then setting the Mod-L1 EVSE's "max current" (output pulse width) to 16-amps instead of 12-amps would be beneficial.

Yes, I understand that making that change (12A to 16A) could be difficult.

We know that the LEAF would use the 16-amps when operating on 240v (L2 operation), and that would be great.

However, when the LEAF's internal charger is receiving only 120v (operating in L1 mode), but offered "16 amps" as max-current, will the charger draw the 16-amps, or just continue to use only 12 amps?

I thought somebody reported that it would draw 16, but a recent test shows only 11.75 (approx.) being drawn.
So, has anybody else verified this, please?

garygid said:
IF IF IF one anticipated being able to use 20 or 30-amp 240v circuits, AND 20-amp 120v circuits, then setting the Mod-L1 EVSE's "max current" (output pulse width) to 16-amps instead of 12-amps would be beneficial.

Yes, I understand that making that change (12A to 16A) could be difficult.

We know that the LEAF would use the 16-amps when operating on 240v (L2 operation), and that would be great.

However, when the LEAF's internal charger is receiving only 120v (operating in L1 mode), but offered "16 amps" as max-current, will the charger draw the 16-amps, or just continue to use only 12 amps?

I thought somebody reported that it would draw 16, but a recent test shows only 11.75 (approx.) being drawn.
So, has anybody else verified this, please?

My tests conclude that the Leaf will never exceed 12A on 120v regardless of EVSE pilot spec.

-Phil

Due increasing logistics and parts costs, we are going to have to slightly increase pricing for the EVSE upgrade. We are giving forum members a courtesy message in advance. The prices will be increased on Friday to $239 for the upgrade.

In addition, we have figured out how to make the Nissan EVSE compatible with the Chevy Volt. This requires an additional upgrade be added, which we can do for a $50 additional charge. This addition will not affect compatibility with the Leaf.

We have successfully upgraded a Voltec unit, but it was difficult due to the ultrasonic welding used for the unit's housing assembly. (no screws) Because of this we are not offering a Voltec upgrade at this time. (This may change)

-Phil

But the REAL question is if you are offering the wand LED lighting thingy as an option? That's what I'm waiting for!

My LEAF isnt here yet. If I pay by FRIDAY, can I wait to send my ESVE after I get my car? ( About 2 weeks they "say)

Anyone can pre-order and send the EVSE in later when you get it. I believe the price goes up on Friday so it is best to order before Friday.

Please see the main thread for all the details.

Unfortunately, The LED modification is far too labor intensive to offer at this time, and there are some technical issues that would need to be solved.

My silly recommendation is to tape/glue one of those little LED keychain lights to the handle. Not as elegant, but it serves the purpose. Someone apparently has added a light to the charge door also.

-Phil

Man I am glad I sent mine in already. Got the email that it shipped today and will be delivered tommorow. Glad I didn't waffle any longer.

In case anyone is wondering, this "upgrade" is real and seems to be properly done. In fact the unit simply goes from 1 'hot' line (120V), and one neutral and one ground to 2 'hot' lines (2x120V to neutral = 240V). As has been explained, the current does not increase (stays constant @12A) , so existing wires are adequate. It's a good bet that the same unit is being used in Europe (all 240V).
EVSEUpgrade.com is the real deal. Only problem - they have so much work there's no time to communicate. Have faith!

Back