Need wireless door locks for home like the LEAF has!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemketron

Now that I lock and unlock and even start my LEAF without touching the key fob in my pocket, it seems really lame to have to dig out a set of physical keys to open the lock on the door to my home.

I know about Schlage and Lockitron products, but they work with smart phones (or keypad) and what I really want is a lockset that works just like the LEAF: A small button that I can press to lock or unlock the door but only if I have the fob in my pocket.

Anyone know of anything like this?

have a friend who has that setup but it does not work as advertised most of the time. it uses a key card and its supposed to allow you entry without swiping the card has a detectable range of 3 feet so it should allow you to walk up and the door opens automatically. but most of the time he has to take card out and wave it a few times.

it came with the house that was built like 6-7 years ago. he has gone thru tech support so the suggestions of new batteries, porch obstructions, cellphone in different pocket, etc... all tried, all failed

I built my own.

Any of the EM4102-based card tags (HiTag, etc) are horribly insecure.
HID Prox cards aren't much better.

The Nissan/Toyota fobs are actually pretty good, in terms of anti-spoofing, battery life, and anti-cloning. They also have the advantage of "controlled range". I'd love to get my hands on a junkyard Alarm/ECU unit and use it for my own lock purposes.

Most of the existing "Home" products out there are either keycode entry or fingerprint.

+1 I want one.
+1 LMW wants one.

I'm slowly learning that this "smart key" stuff is quite new. It came with our Prius, and I just assumed that this is what comes on new cars. But I've seen enough jaw-dropping on this subject when showing off my LEAF that I've realized it's pretty new.

The way I see it, I just need an electric door lock and then build the electronics. That's because the mechanical stuff is the hard part for me. If it could work like the Toyota version, you would only need to grab the doorknob to unlock it. With no visible signs of this system, they'd have to know it was there before they could try to break it. Security through obscurity isn't generally a good plan, but it ought to be good enough in a one-off situation like this. Then I might only have to detect the presence of a key fob spewing apparently random codes, to unlock the door. Or maybe make it so it has to be one Toyota plus one Nissan fob at the same time :) Microchip makes a "kee-loq" system, but I suspect I'd have to buy 100,000 of them before they'd agree to let me have any.

I admire GroundLoop for actually doing it...I know I never will.

Qwikset made a fingerprint reader residential lock which has been discontinued but may still be available in certain outlets. Different units seemed to vary widely in their reliability. If you can successfully train it to your fingerprints then it works every time - usually on the first finger swipe, and almost always by the third try. I think the basic problem is that it uses a 1D slit scanner instead of a 2D scanner. Other fingerprint locks may use 2D scanners but are much more expensive.

Qwikset also makes a combination lock which allows sufficiently long codes as to be quite secure, and it works flawlessly. A lot of other companies also make combo locks. It's a pretty good way to relegate metal keys to emergency use only.

I found it annoying having to dig out keys for my front door as well after getting used to the Leaf's proximity sensor. The Leaf is spoiling us. :lol:

Quite a niche market product for someone to get a foothold in. At least a lot of Nissan and Toyota owners will be interested in buying them. If any enterprising soul starts to commercially manufacture these I'm taking dibs on UK distribution. Contact me. :cool:

JohnnySebring said:
How about this programmed on the Homelink?

http://www.power-access.com/Model-2300-door-opener.html

While useful for some, that just looks like an interior door opener. It probably does not operate a locking mechanism strong enough to fit to a front door.

Back