Testing the emergency power-off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee_Slurry

In the spirit of testing all functions, I tried the "three rapid presses" on the power button while driving. This is the emergency shutoff that would be used to prevent a run-away car.

The result is as expected -- the car shuts off.
Dash dark, but the headlights and Nav system stayed on.
Steering became heavy as the power boost turned off.
The brakes seemed pretty normal, but could have residual boost or backup power.
The drivetrain went to Neutral, which was a surprisingly smooth coast with no regen or power.

I rolled to slow and attempted to turn the car back on.

This is where the CAUTION comes in. Even though I was partly on the brake, and still rolling slowly, the car went immediately into PARK.
This engaged the parking pawl and locked up the drivetrain.
One more press after that went to READY and drive away.

The message here is: Don't Restart the car until you are at a complete stop.

GroundLoop said:
This is where the CAUTION comes in. Even though I was partly on the brake, and still rolling slowly, the car went immediately into PARK.

That's interesting....I tried to go into Park from a slow roll the other day and the car wouldn't do it....just kept beeping at me. But this wasn't in an emergency power-off situation, obviously.

mwalsh said:
GroundLoop said:

That's interesting....I tried to go into Park from a slow roll the other day and the car wouldn't do it....just kept beeping at me. But this wasn't in an emergency power-off situation, obviously.
If the car is traveling over 5 MPH it won't go into Park when pressing the P button. From a power off to power on rolling condition, I have no idea...

mwalsh said:
Right. That's why it was surprising.

Normally the car won't let you go into park while in motion, but somehow going from Emergency Off to On DID go into park automatically.

I assume you were going quite slowly when it decided it could go into Park. Hopefully, it's smart enough not to do that at a faster speed. But I can't think of anyone stupid enough to find out...maybe one of those EV-hating journalists?

Gary, if you hit the power button while driving it will ignore you. You have to hold it for 3 seconds before it will shut off. But I suspect you already know this, and wanted to hear from someone who did it. I am also going to guess that what happens after that is going to be the same as the Three Presses, since in both cases the car has just turned off. But anyone can try that one.

Back