Navigation - How Does It Compare to Previous Nissans?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhelp

I have an '98 Nissan Altima Hybrid (with the newer Navteq maps) and I think the navigation couldn't be worse -- interface is not user friendly and it doesn't recognize streets I know are there. Is the Leaf's navigation any better/different?

You mean 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I have that car with the technology package and actually prefer its Nav to that in my wife's 2009 Mercedes. I never updated the maps because I am leasing.

Maps are not great, I agree, but the "navigating the Nav" is better than some. If Nissan would deliver my Leaf, I would compare for you! Sorry.

Right - '08 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I am really praying that the Leaf nav is better. I often prefer Google maps to the Altima nav.

jhelp said:
Right - '08 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I am really praying that the Leaf nav is better. I often prefer Google maps to the Altima nav.

Don't get your hopes up too high, search this forum. There are lots of posts related to the weak Nav system on this car. It is definitely better than not having maps in the car, but for a new car, they seem to be behind in this area.

Actual navigation is better than the low end Garmin I've - but entering addresses etc is a pain. I always send the address to the car through carwings ...

I can't comment on other Nissans, but the Nav in the Leaf is clearly inferior to the ones in either my (older) Acura or (older) BMW. For a supposedly new car design, it truly is a piece of crap... Heck, the Garmin I have on my motorcycle does a much better job in almost every respect...

jhelp said:
I have an '98 Nissan Altima Hybrid (with the newer Navteq maps) and I think the navigation couldn't be worse -- interface is not user friendly and it doesn't recognize streets I know are there. Is the Leaf's navigation any better/different?

The LEAF's maps are not bad in most "fully covered" areas. The map-related troubles appear in the not-so-fully-covered areas.

Functions available while driving are limited, but not too bad when stopped. However, FAR from excellent.

I find the NAV good at what it does....the display is fast, has accurate, easy to disgest data, accurate traffic info, etc, and the direction/turn notification is just fine.

But that's all AFTER you input your destination....which must be done while the vehicle is stopped (unless it's already in memory), etc. I have no experience sending routes from the computer....the actual driver/NAV interface needs a lot of work.

mogur said:
I can't comment on other Nissans, but the Nav in the Leaf is clearly inferior to the ones in either my (older) Acura or (older) BMW. For a supposedly new car design, it truly is a piece of crap... Heck, the Garmin I have on my motorcycle does a much better job in almost every respect...

jhelp said:

Really worse than your old BMW? The Nav in my 2008 BMW didn't even have spoken street names and you accessed it through that awful iDrive mouse controller and endless menu screens. The LEAF nav is far and away better than that.

I haven't been that impressed with BMW navigation....especially when it thinks you are taking exits when you really are not, and the lower end graphical display.

I would say the navigation system is probably above average, but we have navigation in the Mitsubishi Outlander, and the UI is at least 10 times easier to get around.

The traffic information is definitely a plus....but the most annoying thing in the world, editing address book locations is almost completely impossible without reading a 200 page manual. Instead of Mom's house, its AMBIGUOUS AVE or MAIN STREET E. Who the heck knows what place is what when you scroll down the list. or marking charging locations.

Back