santa monica charge stations and dual-meter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2msmith

My new Leaf is supposed to arrive in September, according to an email sent to me by Nissan. After driving the EV-1 prototype many years ago and being so impressed with it, I vowed to get an electric car as soon as feasible - the day has come !...

I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with the car already..

I may be interested in driving to our office in Santa Monica/Venice area coming north on PCH. The distance one-way is roughly 50 miles. I am thinking a commute might be possible if I can find a charging station to "top off" at. If the car will give me 70-80 miles on a charge. That would mean that I would need about 30 miles of additional charge during the day while I am in Venice to get home. Does anyone have any experience with the car to know if this will work or not ? Could I get 30 miles of top off during a an 8 hour office visit with standard 110V AC ? How do I find out where the DC fast chargers are being installed (if any yet)...

Another question- Aerovironment is coming to install the charger early August - but now I wonder if I should get a dual electric meter setup with Souther California Edison. They are sending me an analysis of my electric usage this week to help me make a decision. Is most of the e-car community going with a dual meter setup in their house for electric car charging ?

Thanks All.

k2msmith said:
I may be interested in driving to our office in Santa Monica/Venice area coming north on PCH. The distance one-way is roughly 50 miles. I am thinking a commute might be possible if I can find a charging station to "top off" at. If the car will give me 70-80 miles on a charge. That would mean that I would need about 30 miles of additional charge during the day while I am in Venice to get home. Does anyone have any experience with the car to know if this will work or not ? Could I get 30 miles of top off during a an 8 hour office visit with standard 110V AC ? How do I find out where the DC fast chargers are being installed (if any yet)....
I plug in at work and have only used L2 charging twice since I took delivery. The rule of thumb I use is 4 mi/hr L1 charging. 8 hours of charging should give you about 32 miles. If you are driving only 100 miles a day and L2 charging at home then you should be A-OK. If it were me, I'd do an L2 charge to 80% overnight and then do timer-disabled L1 charging while at work.

You may be able to make the round trip without additional charging with some hypermiling but I wouldn't want to count on that on a daily basis. Of course the other option is to find L2 charging stations in your last 20 miles (Nissan dealers, mall, etc) that you could resort to in a pinch. L2 will get you about 12 mi/hr charging so an hour or two at a public charger would easily get you home. I'd still try to go for the above option (80% L2 overnight, L1 during the day) as it'll be less stress on both you and your battery.

It would be helpful to know where you're starting from to calculate the elevation difference. If you go net downhill on your way home you should be more than fine.

k2msmith said:
My new Leaf is supposed to arrive in September, according to an email sent to me by Nissan. After driving the EV-1 prototype many years ago and being so impressed with it, I vowed to get an electric car as soon as feasible - the day has come !...

I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with the car already..

I may be interested in driving to our office in Santa Monica/Venice area coming north on PCH. The distance one-way is roughly 50 miles. I am thinking a commute might be possible if I can find a charging station to "top off" at. If the car will give me 70-80 miles on a charge. That would mean that I would need about 30 miles of additional charge during the day while I am in Venice to get home. Does anyone have any experience with the car to know if this will work or not ? Could I get 30 miles of top off during a an 8 hour office visit with standard 110V AC ? How do I find out where the DC fast chargers are being installed (if any yet)...

Another question- Aerovironment is coming to install the charger early August - but now I wonder if I should get a dual electric meter setup with Souther California Edison. They are sending me an analysis of my electric usage this week to help me make a decision. Is most of the e-car community going with a dual meter setup in their house for electric car charging ?

Thanks All.

First of all, welcome!

Not that I'm doubting you, but are you sure your distance to work is 50 miles? Santa Monica is only 45 miles from my home in northern Orange County.

That said, I have been able to do Santa Monica and back with a 2.5 hour stop off at Santa Monica place for a L2 top off. Can you do the same thing with 8 hours of L1? My gut feeling is yes. You should be able to replenish around 30% of the pack during that time. I still think you'll have to watch your speed some (keep it at around 65mph), but I think you'll be fine. I don't suppose you happen to have access to 240v at work, instead of just the 120v? That would make your life considerably easier!

Devin said:
k2msmith said:
I may be interested in driving to our office in Santa Monica/Venice area coming north on PCH. The distance one-way is roughly 50 miles. I am thinking a commute might be possible if I can find a charging station to "top off" at. If the car will give me 70-80 miles on a charge. That would mean that I would need about 30 miles of additional charge during the day while I am in Venice to get home. Does anyone have any experience with the car to know if this will work or not ? Could I get 30 miles of top off during a an 8 hour office visit with standard 110V AC ? How do I find out where the DC fast chargers are being installed (if any yet)....
I plug in at work and have only used L2 charging twice since I took delivery. The rule of thumb I use is 4 mi/hr L1 charging. 8 hours of charging should give you about 32 miles. If you are driving only 100 miles a day and L2 charging at home then you should be A-OK. If it were me, I'd do an L2 charge to 80% overnight and then do timer-disabled L1 charging while at work.

You may be able to make the round trip without additional charging with some hypermiling but I wouldn't want to count on that on a daily basis. Of course the other option is to find L2 charging stations in your last 20 miles (Nissan dealers, mall, etc) that you could resort to in a pinch. L2 will get you about 12 mi/hr charging so an hour or two at a public charger would easily get you home. I'd still try to go for the above option (80% L2 overnight, L1 during the day) as it'll be less stress on both you and your battery.

It would be helpful to know where you're starting from to calculate the elevation difference. If you go net downhill on your way home you should be more than fine.

To second that, if you just plug in 120VAC at work for 8 hours, you should be good...

Aerovironment is here at my house today to install the charger. btw, the electrician they assigned is really nice and informative - very happy with their service so far. Regarding the dual meter setup at SCE is recommending to lower my rates. I have not decided on that yet, but the electrician is installing the circuit in such a way so that it is easy to add another ;panel for a 2nd meter if I decide to go that route. .. comments ?

Back