GPS broken. Sees no satellites

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thimel

I took it to the dealer. They confirmed the antenna was OK by plugging in a different center console and having the GPS work. A new console would have been $4000. They were able to send mine in to the manufacturer for repair at a cost of $550 plus another $150 for the labor at the dealer. Everything works now.

I would suspect the antenna wire to the GPS antenna on the dash has come lose or disconnected. Otherwise, it would be a more internal system problem.

+1 on that; other than making sure you're in an open area and/or if you happen to have a portable GPS device that can verify how many satellites it can see would suspect its the internal connection. Even if your map data is out of date, should still be able to show local map location. This link shows the 'assembly' of the 2011 GPS head unit and its antenna (it's on the dashboard, not the roof mount antenna) so unless this gets covered (have seen lots of folks through stuff up on their dashboards and not realize their are sensors up there) should work OK.

http://shop.gwinnettplacenissan.com...505/NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-COMPONENTS/3722135.html

Here's the internal diagnostics for it:

There is a hidden Diagnostic screen, entered with car On
and Audio system Off: press MAP, MAP, MAP, Audio Power (On),
Audio Power (Off), and finally MAP (once) again.
About 3 presses per second, approximately.

The very first option is the vehicle diagnostics. That will include the GPS antenna.

I was just in there tonight because I noticed my speedometer was off by one at a police radar speed sign today.

Thanks. I already checked the diagnostics screen and it looked OK. I'm taking my car to the dealer service center tomorrow to have them diagnose and repair it. I will post what they do.

At least on my 2012 there is a DTC reported by the AV unit (U1244) when there is a connection problem with the GPS antenna. You can see this with LeafSpy, but don't know if it is reported in the diagnostic screen. 2011 seems to have the same DTC in the service manual.

Rob

Back