SageBrush
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 pm

cwerdna wrote:
jbuntz wrote:
cwerdna wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/1591060294298139/ is a report of a 3 bar loser on a 30 kWh car. Post says location is Chandler, AZ, states car is 1.5 years old and shows 14,099 miles on the odo.


So he gets a new battery with the next bar loss?

Sam Backus, also from AZ, is reporting 3 bar loss in that same thread....

Sam Backus at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan. ... 815894953/ is now posting pics of being down 4 bars on his '16 SL in Phoenix. This makes at least the 2nd 4 bar loser on these 30 kWh Leafs.

From his post, I see these stats:
AHr: 47.42
SOH: 59%
Hx: 55.97%
odo: 24,004 miles

Seems like these model year '16 30 kWh batteries are about as bad as the '11 Leaf batteries in the heat.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when '17 Leafs in Phoenix hit the 2 year mark/go thru 2 Phoenix summers.


He also said
'm excited about the new battery but Nissan says it will only have a 12 month /12,000 mile warranty on the replacement battery, not the continuation of the original warranty


Uh oh
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7266
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 pm

SageBrush wrote:He also said
'm excited about the new battery but Nissan says it will only have a 12 month /12,000 mile warranty on the replacement battery, not the continuation of the original warranty


Uh oh

Which makes no sense. This contradicts common sense and what's in the warranty booklet. Replacing it shouldn't shorten the warranty but won't start the 8 year/100K clock over either. Worst case is 8 years/100K, whenever it originally ends... or if it were on the last day/mile of that warranty, he gets 12 months/12K miles additional.

From page 26 of the '16 Leaf warranty booklet I downloaded:
WHAT IS COVERED
Nissan2 warrants to correct defects in materials or
workmanship in all genuine Nissan replacement parts
and Genuine Nissan accessories, distributed by Nissan
North America in the United States, installed and used
on Nissan (if an appropriate use and application of the
part or accessory) vehicles only, except as described
under the caption below, “WHAT IS NOT COVERED.”
This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct
defects in materials or workmanship.
HOW LONG IS THE WARRANTY
Except for replacement audio components, this warranty
is for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date of
installation or purchase, whichever is earlier. However,
the warranty on Genuine Nissan replacement parts and
Genuine Nissan accessories installed during the Nissan
New Vehicle Limited Warranty will extend through, and
will not end before, the end of that original warranty.
REPLACEMENT AUDIO COMPONENTS
A replacement Radio, Amplifier, Navigation Unit,
Bluetooth, Control Unit or Compact Disc Player/Auto
Changer supplied by Nissan is covered for 12 months
from the time of installation or the balance of the Basic
Vehicle Warranty as it applies to audio components,
whichever is greater.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

jbuntz
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 am
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 303765
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:44 am

Melody baker reports 4 bars lost and in the shop getting a replacement at less than 30,000 miles. AZ car.

This is the third one I have seen reported so far.
Mfg 11/15 Del 12/16 TX 2016 SL 30kWh,
30 Apr 2017 5175 mi 324 GID Ahr 70.75 SOH 89% Hx 85.31% kWh 25.1
11 Aug 2017 11 bar 9245 mi 282 GID Ahr 61.68 SOH 77% Hx 75.83% kWh 21.9
21 Oct 2017 10 bars 12000 mi 260 GID Ahr 57.22 SOH 71% Hx 70.58% kWh 20.2

SageBrush
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:48 am

cwerdna wrote:
SageBrush wrote:He also said
'm excited about the new battery but Nissan says it will only have a 12 month /12,000 mile warranty on the replacement battery, not the continuation of the original warranty


Uh oh

Which makes no sense. This contradicts common sense and what's in the warranty booklet. Replacing it shouldn't shorten the warranty but won't start the 8 year/100K clock over either. Worst case is 8 years/100K, whenever it originally ends... or if it were on the last day/mile of that warranty, he gets 12 months/12K miles additional.

My understanding is that replacement batteries do not carry a degradation warranty, but as you say they do not cancel the new car degradation warranty.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

bakermel1
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:36 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Picked up my 2016 from Nissan dealer today with a new battery. I asked about the warranty and was told it still falls under oringal 8 year warranty. If I fall below 9 bars in 2 years, I get another battery. If it faills again, another battery. Warranty only changes when you purchase a battery and it has a different warranty time frame. We’ll see how long this battery lasts. I won’t be charging every night so maybe that will help? I think it is just the hot Phoenix weather.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12332
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:57 am

bakermel1 wrote:Picked up my 2016 from Nissan dealer today with a new battery. I asked about the warranty and was told it still falls under oringal 8 year warranty. If I fall below 9 bars in 2 years, I get another battery. If it faills again, another battery. Warranty only changes when you purchase a battery and it has a different warranty time frame. We’ll see how long this battery lasts. I won’t be charging every night so maybe that will help? I think it is just the hot Phoenix weather.



Good deal and yeah, your warranty is the 100k, 8 year (non CA) and doesn't matter if its one pack or 10 replacements, you have the full time based on your "new car delivery date and mileage."

Have to say, I wasn't following your progress (this conversation was too far off the rails) so can you post a brief synopsis of the time frames and your previous charging habits? If you have LEAF Spy battery temps you see when its hot AND the ambients would be great as well.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

borugee
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:06 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 303100
Location: Dallas TX

Re: Battery Capacity Diminished 2016

Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 pm

BuckMkII wrote:
baustin wrote:SOH is the State of Health of the battery, and is not directly tied to the State of Charge. If the car was made in February and sold in December, it likely sat on a dealers lot at 100% charge for 10 months. Even in a cooler climate, that is still hard on the battery.

It is just mind-boggling that Nissan cannot train their dealer network not to do this after all these years. How freaking hard is it to understand "turn on the 80% long-life settling and leave it on" so you don't ruin the customer's car?

I realize the dealer has little incentive to care (barring decreased sales of future Leafs when the problem gets around by word-of-mouth), but Nissan has a huge incentive not to be known for crappy battery life! Why don't they have someone in the corporate office who calls the dealers repeatedly and explains this and then reminds them regularly? This would seem like a pretty cheap fix (or, rather, workaround) for at least part of their battery life problem.


May be easy way is for Nissan to enable a setting not to charge the battery above 70% before delivery, rather than training sales staff. During delivery they can flip the switch to enable owner to chage to 100%. Yes charge to any % option need to be there too.
Borugee
2017 SV ; 12/16 Mfg ; 09/17 Delivery ; Dallas TX

jbuntz
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 am
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 303765
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: Battery Capacity Diminished 2016

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 am

borugee wrote:
BuckMkII wrote:
baustin wrote:SOH is the State of Health of the battery, and is not directly tied to the State of Charge. If the car was made in February and sold in December, it likely sat on a dealers lot at 100% charge for 10 months. Even in a cooler climate, that is still hard on the battery.

It is just mind-boggling that Nissan cannot train their dealer network not to do this after all these years. How freaking hard is it to understand "turn on the 80% long-life settling and leave it on" so you don't ruin the customer's car?

I realize the dealer has little incentive to care (barring decreased sales of future Leafs when the problem gets around by word-of-mouth), but Nissan has a huge incentive not to be known for crappy battery life! Why don't they have someone in the corporate office who calls the dealers repeatedly and explains this and then reminds them regularly? This would seem like a pretty cheap fix (or, rather, workaround) for at least part of their battery life problem.


May be easy way is for Nissan to enable a setting not to charge the battery above 70% before delivery, rather than training sales staff. During delivery they can flip the switch to enable owner to chage to 100%. Yes charge to any % option need to be there too.

Bourgee how is your battery doing since it looks like it went through a Texas summer on the dealers lot?
Mfg 11/15 Del 12/16 TX 2016 SL 30kWh,
30 Apr 2017 5175 mi 324 GID Ahr 70.75 SOH 89% Hx 85.31% kWh 25.1
11 Aug 2017 11 bar 9245 mi 282 GID Ahr 61.68 SOH 77% Hx 75.83% kWh 21.9
21 Oct 2017 10 bars 12000 mi 260 GID Ahr 57.22 SOH 71% Hx 70.58% kWh 20.2

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7266
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Hope this isn't a repeat.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4377412 ... 903372964/ from 9/27/2017 is a report of a 3rd bar lost on a 30 kWh '16 Leaf in Florida.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

bakermel1
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:36 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:54 pm

First year and a half I had a long commute and charged nightly. I put almost 30,000 miles on the car when I lost the fourth battery. Putting me at about 50 to 70 miles per charge. So I charged almost every day. I think the hot Phoenix summers did a toll on the battery. Now I will only have to charge every 2 to 3 days and it will not sit in the hot sun every day. We’ll see if that makes a difference on the battery at all. I do not have leaf spy.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”