2014 Leaf is dead, no lights, no nothing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceMH

Leaf has been working just fine. I did see the yellow triangle light a couple times this week, but it went away. This morning it wouldn't respond to my key FOB. Changed the FOB battery, still no response. Used the key to get in and hit Start, nothing.... Not a single light works. It's totally dead.

I replaced the 12v battery about two months ago. Just checked it by hooking to a battery charger, which indicated the battery was at 100%. The fuse attached to the battery terminal is okay. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot?

The dealer is over an hour away, which is going to s**k paying for a tow truck.

thanks!

VinceMH said:
Leaf has been working just fine. I did see the yellow triangle light a couple times this week, but it went away. This morning it wouldn't respond to my key FOB. Changed the FOB battery, still no response. Used the key to get in and hit Start, nothing.... Not a single light works. It's totally dead.

I replaced the 12v battery about two months ago. Just checked it by hooking to a battery charger, which indicated the battery was at 100%. The fuse attached to the battery terminal is okay. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot?

The dealer is over an hour away, which is going to s**k paying for a tow truck.

thanks!

What else was lit in addition to the yellow triangle??
Did you try jumping the car (doesn't matter what the battery reading was)?
I notice you had the TCU upgrade; I suspect your current problem may trace back to that (when did you have it done?).
However, that doesn't negate everything else I said.

What else was lit in addition to the yellow triangle??
Did you try jumping the car (doesn't matter what the battery reading was)?
I notice you had the TCU upgrade; I suspect your current problem may trace back to that (when did you have it done?).
However, that doesn't negate everything else I said.

Nothing else was lit. I had my OBDII reader on the counter to check it out this morning, but alas...
Have not tried jumping it. How would that help if the battery is good?
TCU upgrade done in April.

thanks!

Are you getting brake lights? Headlights/parking lights? If not, even though your battery is 100%, you might be having some sort of a continuity issue. Maybe the ground from the battery isn't making good connection? Maybe the terminals aren't clean?

If you ARE getting brake lights, that's a whole other story. Checking fuses would be a good place to start. Are you holding the key fob to the immediate right of the start button to see if it will respond that way? (In case the fob's battery is dead or the fob is malfunctioning, as one of mine is.)

I put the battery charger on the battery while it was installed in the car and it came to life. The battery is only three months old. Battery Plus is charging it overnight. The previous battery was replaced after low voltage DTCs and strange behavior. I had only owned the car three months at the time. So two batteries die, each after a three month period. Sounds like something wrong with the 12v charging system. Guess I'll make a trip to the dealer.

Thanks for the replies!!

The battery was drained all the way to only 8 cranking amps (not a typo). Amazingly it took a good charge. Cleared the DTC's and everything is fine. Now need to figure out what is causing the drain. Think I'll get a trickle charger for a weekly boost until I have time to take to the dealer.

thanks everyone for your help!

Back