> Headlight Delay Control/Adjustment Not Functioning...?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachLeaf

Hi all, I’ve tried setting the headlight delay function to 0 seconds (off once all doors are closed) and am not able to. I’ve tried doing this via the Nav screen with no luck. Purchased the correct OBD connector and LeafSpy Pro and made the adjustment no less than 20 times - with no luck.

I was hoping someone else has solved this. The odd thing is no matter what I make the timing for the auto off headlights, the vehicle seems to keep the lights on for around 30 seconds after all the doors are closed.

Other settings like lock function took effect via LeafSpy. In addition, the Nav screen correctly reports the changes I’ve made via LeafSPy, yet the vehicle doesn’t comply...

Thank you,

Mark

I can't help directly with the issue, but here's what I do to save juice in the accessory battery. With the headlights on Auto, I turn the car off, then turn the light control down once to turn the lights off immediately. Then I turn it right back to Auto, and the headlights stay off until the car is started again. Same result, and it does become an "automatic" behavior. This also gives me the option of using the 30 second off feature when I really need it.

I thought I was the only one doing what LeftieBiker was doing, but I've been doing that "manual" off then reset to auto since 2008 in a regular ICE car. I did it out of habit and haven't stopped doing it since then. Half a second double twist in the wrist!

Thank you for your replies - seems like a nice workaround :)

With the LED headlights I can hear a fan or something running, so having them run on multiple times per day, for no reason, seems so wasteful to me.

At this point, I’ve tried using every time delay setting and even cycled between a few choosing zero seconds in between. All results yielded the same, ~30 seconds of the lights staying on. I had a brainstorm thinking that maybe I needed to perform the changes with the lights off. Tried that then cycled the ignition on and off and turned the lights back on - no dice... :-( I even removed the negative battery cable on the 12 volt battery in an attempt to possibly reset things, again no dice :-(

Anyone else having issues with the headlight delay settings? Wondering if it’s just me or widespread issue. I suspect there some sort of relay timer that’s gone goofy, just hope nothing else is affected. Also wondered if maybe a door switch was bad not sending the correct signal, although the dome light works fine on all the doors.

Thanks again,

Mark

If you are hearing a fan run with the lights, then it either isn't the lights, or the bulbs are aftermarket, with cooling fans. What year is this Leaf?

If you aren't the original owner then maybe the headlights are aftermarket, with fans. This would likely also explain the failure of the adjustment attempt.

Thanks- as I understand things the LED headlights are factory on the SL models. Further, the timer function would only be cutting the power no matter what type of light was powered.

Thanks,

Mark

BeachLeaf said:
Thanks- as I understand things the LED headlights are factory on the SL models. Further, the timer function would only be cutting the power no matter what type of light was powered.

Thanks,

Mark

I've never seen audible fans mentioned in conjunction with the factory LED setup. I have seen complaints about noisy fans with the aftermarket bulbs. My reasoning is that the installation may have not been quite right, but maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

I appreciate the help :) the fan sound is very low, I suspect it’s for the power converter/inverter for the lamps....

I’m hoping someone else can check their vehicle to see if they have control over the adjustment.

At this point, it’s more of an annoyance and frustration, since I should be able to control it :x

Thanks again,

Mark

I have never noticed fan noise from the LED headlights on either my 2011 SL before it met its demise or my 2015 SL purchased new in February 2015. I suspect something is being kept powered and interfering with the delay timer. I will play with timer settings when I get my car back from the dealer (waiting for extended warranty company to authorize replacement of intelligent brake controller that has been having intermittent CAN Bus communication failure, causing strange brake and ABS behavior).

I got my car back yesterday so I tried changing the headlight delay timer through the navigation system menus. I normally keep it set on 60 seconds. I was able to set it to 0 and 30 seconds in addition to my normal setting. In each case, the timing did not start until I opened and then closed the driver door after turning off the car. At 0 seconds, the lights went off as soon as the door closed. When set for 30 or 60 seconds, the lights went off 30 seconds and 60 seconds, respectively, after closing the door.

Hi all, thanks so much Gerry for following up and testing the timer settings, I really appreciate it :) At least now I know it's not likely a wide spread issue.

I realized the fan noise I am hearing is coming from the LED fog lights I recently installed. They were pretty inexpensive, so I was surprised to learn they each have an internal cooling fan. Not sure how changing out the bulbs on the fogs would create the issue I am having with the headlight off timer working...? I am planning to unplug the fogs and run some more tests over the weekend.

In addition, I have noticed at times when I go to exit the car (ignition off) I occasionally get a repeating beeping sound (like Honda's key in the ignition sound) as if the key was left in the ignition? In the past, I've pushed the door jamb switch once with the door open and the beeping stops. I am beginning to wonder if I have an intermittent faulty door jamb switch, which in turn could be affecting when the headlight timer activates. Still doesn't explain why the lights go off after 30+ seconds though... I wonder if I cycle another door instead, if that will have any effect. Stay tuned :D

Edit: I tried cycling the passenger door from inside the vehicle after shutting off the ignition (lights on fogs off). Didn't make a difference in the light timer. 60 seconds and 0 second settings still yield lights off at around 39 seconds. I also read a post where someone else was experiencing the key in the ignition beeping sound after the car was off and door open. Maybe this is normal behavior related to when the door is opened in timing with when the vehicle is shut off...? Admittedly, I have not opened the owners manual very far :roll:

Thanks,

Mark

Gerry you are my new hero!!! That was my issue. Works as I wanted. Thanks so much for looking into further. I even started looking up headlight relay timers for the Leaf fear that mine was bad.

As I understand the Auto setting, the lights will only come on in low low conditions and based on sensitivity settings. Is that correct?

Thanks again so much all for the help and guidance. Very much appreciated :D

Kind Regards,

Mark

Yes, lights automatically switch on under low light conditions when in AUTO. The sensitivity is adjustable under a menu on the navigation system. I think they also turn on when windshield wipers are on.

It's funny: my 2013 SV had the auto headlights as part of the Premium Package. I never used them, preferring to operate the lights manually. Now I rely on the auto setting, intervening only to cut short the off delay when I don't need it. Did the earlier version have auto high beams as well...?

GerryAZ said:
Yes, lights automatically switch on under low light conditions when in AUTO. The sensitivity is adjustable under a menu on the navigation system. I think they also turn on when windshield wipers are on.

Thanks again! I want to run with the headlights on all the time as running lights. Hoping it will help me to be seen more readily. I plan to put a nicely trimmed piece of black tape over the photo cell, so I can run the headlights all the time and have the benefit of the auto off set to 0 seconds. :D

Do things like the seat heaters and headlights run off of the main big battery or the 12 volt battery? That is, would having my headlights on all the time along with my seat heater reduce my traveling range?

Thank you all,

Mark

Back