Improving/maintaining SOH w/o QC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ixnay

I purchased a 2015 SV with 28500 miles in early March. SOH per LeafSpy was 95.18%. I usually drive it down to 20%. If I charge it during the week, I charge it for no more than 2 hours, getting 20% per hour. On Sundays, I do a full charge typically. Rationale, preserve battery health by avoiding hot batteries. Downside--limited balancing.

Over the last 8 weeks, the SOH% has trended down. March 14 was 94%; then at 93% through March 29; at 92% through April 17; and at 91% since then. On March 27, on a full recharge, I registered 271 Gids and 93.2% SOH.

Monday morning, on a full recharge, I had 91.55% and 246 Gids.

I use an EVSE Upgrade on a 240V 20 amp circuit.

Am I being a worry wort? Is there a better practice I should adopt?

Domo arigato.

The SOH does some 'wandering' up and down on the 24kwh packs, unlike the 40kwh batteries, which seem to only drop. I'd stay with what you are doing, avoiding a full charge unless the car will be used shortly thereafter.

I Would recommend to not charge up to 100% if you will not be using a good 20-25% of it soon on a trip.

Leave the car at 40-50% all the time, overnight, etc. If you commuted a long way every day (30-40 miles) set the charging timer to the time you will be leaving.

If you only drive short distances, charge the car to 70% and recharge at 40%.

I really think you will have good results. I have a 15 with 60,000 miles and the SOH is still at about 92%

My late model 2013 did a good bit of wondering around with SoH, +-2% seems within the realm of normal. around your car's age my SoH was 92%, went up to 96% and then dropped down to around 89%. Since then it has stabilized and slowly trended down, going down to about 87-88% over the last year. I am in the northwest along with you so i suspect you might notice something similar.

i do a full charge on L2 every morning when i get to work (starting at 20-30%), then the car sits at 100% for about 4-5 hours and i drive it home, where it sits at 40-60% overnight. I personally wouldn't sweat the 100% charges, just don't leave it at 100% for days. I have not noticed any significant side effects from it anyway.

Marko

Back