In car climate timer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalt1

Will this in car C.C. timer only work when plugged to charger? I would like to have mine come on before I leave work and not plugged in. I have never been able to get it to come on unless plugged in.

Dalt1 said:
Will this in car C.C. timer only work when plugged to charger? I would like to have mine come on before I leave work and not plugged in. I have never been able to get it to come on unless plugged in.

Works fine in my car. But if you aren't plugged in, the climate control will only run for 15 minutes and then shut off.

What I would like would be to be able to manually turn on CC when plugged in, exactly as Carwings does, rather than by using the Carwings portal website or iPhone app, nice as they are. I've gone out, turned on the car, and hit the AUTO button, but it didn't seem to warm as fast as when Carwings turns on the CC.

A bit off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that the back of the Leaf seems to get dirty fast? :|

waitingforaleaf said:
Dalt1 said:

Works fine in my car. But if you aren't plugged in, the climate control will only run for 15 minutes and then shut off.
Just to confirm. You say, if your car is not plugged in and you set the in car timer, that it will come on as scheduled to warm it for the departure time you set? Mine works but only if it is plugged in.

rumpole said:
What I would like would be to be able to manually turn on CC when plugged in, exactly as Carwings does, rather than by using the Carwings portal website or iPhone app, nice as they are. I've gone out, turned on the car, and hit the AUTO button, but it didn't seem to warm as fast as when Carwings turns on the CC.

A bit off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that the back of the Leaf seems to get dirty fast? :|

I don't think Climate Control timer works except when the vehicle is plugged in, but I haven't tried it to confirm.

Use of the heater by using the in car HVAC control with car in second push of button without the brake pedal being depressed also doesn't work under some circumstances (whether plugged in or not). In another thread someone indicated it would only work if the car charge is >80%, but I haven't researched manual or confirmed this. I just know I've tried it two or three times, and it didn't work. Wouldn't work the other day when I was plugged in to L2 EVSE. To get the heat to come on while sitting there listening to the radio I had to set a Climate Control departure time to get the heat. I don't have a smart phone yet.
The Carwings app or access through the internet will start the HVAC. But if not plugged in will only run 15 minutes. I think it will run two hours if plugged in.
Note too that if plugged in, depending on the outside temperature and the state of charge, the car will continue to charge. If you were set to 80% and are using HVAC, it could charge all the way up to 100% just because you are using the HVAC.

Rear of vehicle does get dirty very fast. I think that is also true for many very aerodynamic vehicles, but it is very extreme in the Leaf.

Dalt1 said:
Mine doesn't seem to work that way. Only comes on if plugged up.
The climate control timer will only function when the car is plugged in (it will turn on about 25 minutes prior to the departure time you enter in). If you use Carwings to turn on your climate control remotely and your car is plugged in, it will run for about 30 minutes. If you use Carwings to turn on your climate control remotely and your car is not plugged in, it will only run for about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the confirmations. I have been in touch with a Nissan tech who I got his # from carwings site. He is telling me that that is not the intended operation and it should work unplugged. He has suggested I get the Lab at work ( I work at Nissan Smyrna ) to check it out. That will be my next step. They are very interested in what is working and what is not.

when the climate timer is set from the nav panel inside the car , it will only operate when the car is plugged in

this is by design to prevent a discharged battery when the car is not plugged in

for example your schedule changes you leave early for work and yoour car is parked at work un plugged at your normal scheduled pre heat time of say 6am

the timer will NOT operate and not leave you with a depleted battery when you leave to drive home

there is nothing wrong with your car

the smart phone timer , and or the carwings timer does work when the car is unplugged

example, you are going to church or somplace where phone cant be used, you use your carwings connection in your smartphone to schedule the climate to operrate and warm the car at your estimated departure time

the carwings will send a signal to the car and pre heat wether or not the car is plugged in

make sense?

If I have my in car timer set for departure time, it would shut itself down at that (programed)time and not run my battery down if I do not leave at that time. The in car timer will start before the programmed time to get it to temp for the departure time set. Therefore it would only be on for 15 minutes. I think that is the max time for it to run if not plugged in. Nissan is very interested in the way this is working and wants to know what we like and don't! They want to take my car back to the lab at work and check it out.

waitingforaleaf said:
Dalt1 said:

Can you double check and see if your in car timer set through the nav system, will in fact turn on your cc if not plugged in?
Thanks.

Ahhh... my apologies. I generally use the climate control timer from my phone through the Nissan Leaf app and had assumed it applied to the in car climate timer as well. I haven't confirmed that it doesn't work but it sounds like kmp647's explanation may be correct. Strange that Nissan would have the same name for a function that is accessible in two different ways.

The difference between the In-Car Timers and the Timer that's set from the website or from your SmartPhone app is that the In-Car allows you to specify days and will repeat the cycle every 7 days. The SmartPhone app allows you to set a "once only" timer or to trigger the climate control immediately. It will not repeat.

waitingforaleaf said:
Ahhh... my apologies. I generally use the climate control timer from my phone through the Nissan Leaf app and had assumed it applied to the in car climate timer as well. I haven't confirmed that it doesn't work but it sounds like kmp647's explanation may be correct. Strange that Nissan would have the same name for a function that is accessible in two different ways.

If the car is charged to 80% prior to warming it will stay on much longer than a half an hour, it will warm and charge your car until it reaches 100%, which is very handy for when you need to push the limits as it seems to warm the battery and the core of the car and make it possible to get more of a charge, allowing you to eliminate or at least drastically reduce climate control use and getting the car warmer seems to even have an effect on MPkW efficiency. It's only gone down in the 20's at it's coldest here, so I don't know how well this works in extreme cold, but I was able to get back to near summer time range on the occasion I really needed to so far this winter.

DarkStar said:
Dalt1 said:
Mine doesn't seem to work that way. Only comes on if plugged up.
The climate control timer will only function when the car is plugged in (it will turn on about 25 minutes prior to the departure time you enter in). If you use Carwings to turn on your climate control remotely and your car is plugged in, it will run for about 30 minutes. If you use Carwings to turn on your climate control remotely and your car is not plugged in, it will only run for about 15 minutes.

LittleChap said:
The difference between the In-Car Timers and the Timer that's set from the website or from your SmartPhone app is that the In-Car allows you to specify days and will repeat the cycle every 7 days. The SmartPhone app allows you to set a "once only" timer or to trigger the climate control immediately. It will not repeat.

waitingforaleaf said:

The advantage of the in car (from nav screen) timer is that you don't need to set it every time. it will repeat. I don't have smart phone capabilities so I have to use the computer to set C.C. Don't always have access to computer when needed to set times. I need it to warm when at work in parking lot not plugged in, at home when I can plug in, it is in the garage and doesn't need pre warmed.

From my perspective, it should be a fairly easy software update for Nissan to make the Carwings timer recurring (unfortunately, this change seems likely to have very low priority). In my case, the time I would leave work seems to fluctuate on a day to day basis, so I would need to change the timer fairly often anyways. At least, Carwings lets me send the car a message to pre-heat before I'm ready to leave the office.

When I set my in car CC for departure time the same as ending charge time, the battery is not fully charged when I leave. I thought the point of this was the car would be warm without "using" the battery. Is this happening to you? Do I need to change my settings?

Lindabyb said:
When I set my in car CC for departure time the same as ending charge time, the battery is not fully charged when I leave. I thought the point of this was the car would be warm without "using" the battery. Is this happening to you? Do I need to change my settings?
Are you plugged into 110 or 220 volts? Are you charging to 80% or 100%?

Back