Noisy hatchback - anyone else.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relytgerg

Since I bought the Leaf, the hatchback seems to catch just a bit when you first open it and make a sort of a groan at the same time. I'd been thinking about taking it in for warranty service. Then today, with the morning temperature at 51 degrees F. as I left - no noise. It seems to be a temperature sensitive issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Could it be the rear cargo cover catching someplace? Our cover got a little out of alignment/warped during a fully-loaded car trip (lots of stuff under and above it). The noise when opening the hatch was no fun to listen to :( . I gently tweaked/twisted the cover and adjusted the string areas every time I opened it. Eventually, the noise stopped and I haven't heard it since! If your noise returns, maybe try removing the cargo cover from the hatch area to test if that could be the source. Good luck.

GoingGreener said:
Could it be the rear cargo cover catching someplace? Our cover got a little out of alignment/warped during a fully-loaded car trip (lots of stuff under and above it). The noise when opening the hatch was no fun to listen to :( . I gently tweaked/twisted the cover and adjusted the string areas every time I opened it. Eventually, the noise stopped and I haven't heard it since! If your noise returns, maybe try removing the cargo cover from the hatch area to test if that could be the source. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's not the cargo cover, but I'll check.

Yeah, give it a shot. I know the sound we heard "seemed" more complicated/mechanical than the cover. But it was probably from the two tight cutout areas that the cover sits in. For us, it was an easy call as it happened within the 1st few days of ownership... our 345 miles home from the dealership in our orphan pulling out and reloading light camping gear, luggage, etc... for 4 people at a campground and a hotel. Some issues are triggered by weather, but we've had plenty of variances in the 7 months of ownership and no problems since the first week or so. Again, best of luck.

Ours didn't 'catch' but was squeaking a bit when it was opened; especially in colder weather. As with all cars, when it gets real cold the hydraulic cylinders that open the hatch will slow down when opening a bit as the fluid thickens with really low temps. We had them check it when we had the firmware update/snow shield bracket put in and they lubed it, not really sure if it was the hinges, etc. but no noise and smooth operation now. Nothing worse than a creaky hatch noise -- just makes the car sound cheap.

GoingGreener said:

On mine I quickly found the sound to be the rope from the cargo cover where it attaches to the hatch. When the hatch pulls it up it rotates the rope which makes a groaning noise. I quickly stopped caring.

EricBayArea said:
On mine I quickly found the sound to be the rope from the cargo cover where it attaches to the hatch. When the hatch pulls it up it rotates the rope which makes a groaning noise. I quickly stopped caring.

Had a cold morning this week. Amazingly it does appear to be the little rope supporting the cargo cover. I can't believe how much of a noise that little string, really, can make. I think I will try a minimal amount of silicone spray and wait for another cold day.

Thanks, EricBayArea!

relytgerg said:
EricBayArea said:

Had a cold morning this week. Amazingly it does appear to be the little rope supporting the cargo cover. I can't believe how much of a noise that little string, really, can make. I think I will try a minimal amount of silicone spray and wait for another cold day.

Thanks, EricBayArea!

Sure thing! Glad to share the knowledge.

Back