NissanConnect/Carwings on new Purchase of 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medtech1

I recently purchased a 2013 Nissan Leaf SV. I'm in Canada, and this Leaf was purchased in the US, so I called Nissan to confirm warrant was valid in Canada, which they not only confirmed but took all my details and added the VIN to a NissanConnect account for which they created for me.

Then she had some issue adding the VIN to the account (which I wondered if it was due to being a US sourced VIN, on a Canadian NissanConnect account?).

She came back and said she added the VIN, but, that I would be getting a letter in the mail, stating that I need to upgrade from 2G to 3G, and until then, I couldn't use NissanConnect (now I was a bit confused, because the car is able to communicate and does update maps and charging stations). However, I do know its using AT&T even though I'm in Canada.

She said I could call my dealership to ask about it now to find out more info about the upgrade. When I called the Canadian Nissan Dealer, they were like a "deer in the headlights", not knowing anything about an 2G to 3G upgrade.

I also called a US Nissan dealer in Bellingham (I'm only 30 minutes from there), and they didn't know anything about it either.

Has anyone else in Canada purchased a US sourced Nissan, and what are you doing to use your Nissan Connect /Carwings?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=454332#p454332 is the letter.

AFAIK, we haven't received any details about the hardware upgrade yet.

One big problem is that AFAIK, there is no AT&T in Canada. All your carriers are different and I doubt the AT&T SIM inside the TCU is set up to allow for international roaming, as that'd be very expensive. (I've driven to Canada a few times from WA state, when I was living up there.... so I'm familiar with losing AT&T signal and intl roaming once I'm a few miles north of the border.)

I'm thinking perhaps when Canada (Rogers) retires their 2G, I wonder if they would replace the hardware with the one that works with Rogers if I'm here.

I'm roaming all the time right now, with AT&T, and they'd piggyback off one of the major carriers here (I'd think). But, yes, if its roaming would NISSAN be paying more unless they had some sort of agreement for North American customers.

Either way... I'm a bit disappointed I can't use nissanconnect.

Back