tjlyerly
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2013

Lose the "Building Trees" on the head's up display

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 am

Anyone else roll their eyes at that useless building tree animation in the upper left of the head's up display? The rest of the dash is filled with useful information to the driver (speed, current power consumption, battery temperature, range, etc..). That silly building tree animation is hokey at best and a potentially dangerous distraction at worst. If the driver is interested in driving efficiently and extending the range then there is plenty of information there to assist the driver in how they can acheive that goal. Building trees doesn't do that. Lose it entirely or replace it with some practical information for the driver such as outside and inside air temperature. If Nissan really want to encourage the driver to drive more efficiently then replace the tree with some running indicator like KW/Mile and color it red or green depending on whether they are driving better or worse than some assumed average of other drivers.

I realize that many Leaf owners have some inflated sense of importance that they are involved in some great environmental cause saving the world, but the vast majority of people (like myself) view that as bunk. The more the Leaf can divorce itself from this environmental mindset (symbolized by the Leaf and Tree icons) the more it will appeal to the vast majority of people who are more interested in reliable economic vehicle and not some overly subsidized environmental project that is doomed to failure.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: Lose the "Building Trees" on the head's up display

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:22 am

Yes and it is especially annoying because it resets every time I start the vehicle.
Should restart at each full recharge to 80% or 100% or once a day.
Better to just be gone.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

sproqitman
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0196

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:34 am

tjlyerly wrote:I realize that many Leaf owners have some inflated sense of importance that they are involved in some great environmental cause saving the world, but the vast majority of people (like myself) view that as bunk.

Welcome to the forum, from one of the small minority with an inflated sense of importance. ;)

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 am

While the tree building is pretty silly, the arc with segments really can be used to teach efficient driving. It isn't perfect but it is a good guide for typical driving conditions. If you can accelerate and keep all the segments lit you will get better mileage. Hard to do going up steep hills though.

Nevertheless, I'd rather see the shifter indicator (D, Eco, N) there in that part of the "eyebrow" display. I often have trouble seeing the current shifter display when the steering wheel is in certain positions.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

garymelora
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 018767

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 am

tjlyerly wrote:replace it with some practical information for the driver such as outside and inside air temperature.

Inside air temperature display would help me use the climate control more efficiently and thus actually contribute to the environment.
as of 6/19/15:
2012 SL; 63K miles, Lost First Bar at 42K Miles, second at 53K Miles, $0 Maintenance/Repairs, New Wiper Blades and Tires at 35K Miles, 94 Mile RT Daily Commute w/Level 1 Charge at Work.

eclecticflower
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021559

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am

Ah, c'mon, some of you guys are just no fun. ;) There's plenty of "important information" about energy usage on the dash and in the nav. Embrace the trees :P and just enjoy driving. That little feature adds to the "fun quotient" of driving a tech-advanced vehicle (this car's got game!), plus it's a reminder of our small contribution to reducing emissions world-wide. :mrgreen: Not every driving moment has to be about measuring stuff. :roll: And don't you know by now if you're in Drive or Eco (surely you can feel the difference when the steering wheel obscures your view)?
2012 Cayenne Red LEAF SL: Vanity Plate - G'BYGAS
Reserved 08/10, Ordered 3/12/2012, $99 Refunded 5/16/12, Delivered 6/4/12.

tjlyerly

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am

eclecticflower wrote:Ah, c'mon, some of you guys are just no fun. ;) There's plenty of "important information" about energy usage on the dash and in the nav. Embrace the trees :P and just enjoy driving. That little feature adds to the "fun quotient" of driving a tech-advanced vehicle (this car's got game!), plus it's a reminder of our small contribution to reducing emissions world-wide. :mrgreen: Not every driving moment has to be about measuring stuff. :roll: And don't you know by now if you're in Drive or Eco (surely you can feel the difference when the steering wheel obscures your view)?

You really need to get out more if fun is watching part of a tree trunk build every mile or so. Why not have a game of Tetris there controlled by minor movements of the steering wheel while driving? Makes about as much sense and only a little less safe. :mrgreen:

BTW - Reducing emissions in an electric car is an illusion. Really only does so at the end point of the carbon cycle which is beneficial only for smog emissions in large cities, not CO2 related but related to how well the typical ICE combusts hydrocarbons. If all the ICE engines out there efficiently burned fuel into CO2 and water only then there would be no smog. Electric car production front end loads all the CO2 emissions in manufature. Then of course is all the rare earth metals used which has other environmentatl consequences. My Leaf is powered by Coal at the power station and I hope will continue to be so I can enjoy low electric costs. Carbon emissions are of absolutely no concern to me and yes I do care about the environment. Just real environmental poisons not imagined ones.

eclecticflower
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021559

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 am

tjlyerly wrote:
eclecticflower wrote:Ah, c'mon, some of you guys are just no fun. ;) There's plenty of "important information" about energy usage on the dash and in the nav. Embrace the trees :P and just enjoy driving. That little feature adds to the "fun quotient" of driving a tech-advanced vehicle (this car's got game!), plus it's a reminder of our small contribution to reducing emissions world-wide. :mrgreen: Not every driving moment has to be about measuring stuff. :roll: And don't you know by now if you're in Drive or Eco (surely you can feel the difference when the steering wheel obscures your view)?

You really need to get out more if fun is watching part of a tree trunk build every mile or so. Why not have a game of Tetris there controlled by minor movements of the steering wheel while driving? Makes about as much sense and only a little less safe. :mrgreen:

BTW - Reducing emissions in an electric car is an illusion. Really only does so at the end point of the carbon cycle which is beneficial only for smog emissions in large cities, not CO2 related but related to how well the typical ICE combusts hydrocarbons. If all the ICE engines out there efficiently burned fuel into CO2 and water only then there would be no smog. Electric car production front end loads all the CO2 emissions in manufature. Then of course is all the rare earth metals used which has other environmentatl consequences. My Leaf is powered by Coal at the power station and I hope will continue to be so I can enjoy low electric costs. Carbon emissions are of absolutely no concern to me and yes I do care about the environment. Just real environmental poisons not imagined ones.

Now you're just stealing our joy... :(
2012 Cayenne Red LEAF SL: Vanity Plate - G'BYGAS
Reserved 08/10, Ordered 3/12/2012, $99 Refunded 5/16/12, Delivered 6/4/12.

tjlyerly

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:19 am

[/quote]
Now you're just stealing our joy... :([/quote]

Yeah, I know. Wondering why I don't get invited to parties anymore.

TaylorSFGuy
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1561

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 am

How about a software update that displays the GID number in this space. Surely some info is being sent to it already. I may be underestimating the ease at which this could be done but seems to me that an LED (or whatever it is) can display any information it receives.

I too find the trees to be a waste of valuable display real estate.
Mileage as of May 19, 2016 is 150,000 - 147 GID at 100%

Ordered Jan. 21, 2011 Delivered May 13, 2011

Number of months with highest mileage on Carwings - 23

First LEAF to 100,000 Miles in USA if not worldwide
First non commercial LEAF to 150,000 Miles

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”