PianoAl
Delivery Date: 20 May 2016

Higher PSI for Better Range?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:08 pm

What's the current thinking on inflating the tires to the max PSI (e.g. 44 psi) to get some more range? Safe? Dangerous?

One tire store guy told me the only disadvantage is a rougher ride. He also said they last longer.

A different tire store guy was so shocked he had an accident in his pants, and told me it decreased stopping distance, especially when roads were wet.
2016 Nissan LEAF Model S, Purchased May 2016

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Re: Higher PSI for Better Range?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Totally safe to do assuming you have modern good quality tires.

Check the Max PSI label on the sidewall which will likely be 44 or 51 PSI. Check the tire pressure at the coldest part of the day on the coldest day of the week if possible (look at the weather forecast for the days and times that will be close to the minimum temp), let the car sit for 4 hours or so before that time and make sure that the car isn't getting heat from one side (keep it in a garage, under a carport, on the shade side of a building or tree).

Feel free to pump air into the tires up to the sidewall max while the tires are cold. No more than 1 PSI difference between front and rear for the Leaf. No more than you can accurately measure between left and right (try to make those equal).

I drove my leaf on the Goodyears the used car dealer put on it in the low 50s PSI, switched to Dunlop tires and am now setting it in the upper 40s.

You can make minor variations for ride if you don't like it at 50 try 48 or 46 or 44 or 42, whatever you like (if you want to use odd numbers instead of even or pick your lucky number go for it 1 PSI over or under isn't going to break anything).

Pros: Higher PSI improves range, improves resistance to hydroplaning, improves cornering
Cons: Higher PSI past a point causes more wear on the center tread, increases risk of picking up foreign objects like nails

Just be sure to monitor tire pressure with leafspy and adjust for the seasons or check the cold temp PSI every couple of months.

My current wheels make it hard to reach the valve stem covers so I'm leaving room enough that I don't have to bleed air out for the summer and pump it back in for the winter. On the stock wheels I'd just adjust it several times a year because it isn't a hassle.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

tkdbrusco
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2014

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:43 am

I pump mine to 42 PSI and I find the range to be quite improved as is the wear. Make sure you rotate them regularly as well. I have a co-worker who bought a Leaf a month before me and we both have 30K miles on our cars now. He had to replace his tires already and I have about 15-20K left on mine. He only rotated the tires once and ran them at lower pressure. Also he didn't buy the standard issue tires as replacements and says he's taking a range hit as a result. Keep them pumped up, check them every week or two, and rotate as needed.
2015 Leaf S w/QC Package. San Jose, CA
www.theevconsultant.com

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:28 am

I think the safer compromise is to inflate to 40-42psi, with an accurate gauge. 44psi is usually safe, but if the gauge reads several psi low and the tire is marginal...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I think the safer compromise is to inflate to 40-42psi, with an accurate gauge. 44psi is usually safe, but if the gauge reads several psi low and the tire is marginal...

If you are using leafspy the TPMS sensors are good for about .25 PSI accuracy. Way more accurate than any hand held gauge Ive ever owned.

I've seen hand held gauges that could be off by 2 or 3 PSI easy.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

PianoAl
Delivery Date: 20 May 2016

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 am

I didn't notice the ride being any rougher after increasing PSI.
2016 Nissan LEAF Model S, Purchased May 2016

jkline
Delivery Date: 01 May 2016

Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Leafspy gives me wild psi numbers. My tire gauge on all four says 44psi, but leafspy gives four different numbers, sometimes up to 7psi variance. Multiple tire gauges have made me decide to just ignore that LS feature.

Bob
Delivery Date: 30 May 2013

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 pm

If your Leaf Spy numbers don't agree with a gauge, don't blame software. :-) It's the sensors in the wheels that vary.

Just as tire gauges can vary from model to model, from unit to unit, and from new to old, internal tire pressure sensors can also vary. The four that are on my car are very good. Others have said the same thing. Yet others have seen variation.

These sensors vary statistically with most being excellent and a few being off like tails of a standard normal distribution or like outliers. Even though they are calibrated at the factory, shocks from driving, material aging, and other factors increase tolerance beyond initial calibration limits.

Bob

YPMV (your pressure may vary)

Linuxluver
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 119521

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I might worry about this for longer trips, but for my usual around-town driving I barely scratch 50% battery on a busy day.....so optimal range isn't a worry.

But for those runs to a town 120km away to get to a rapid charger......I'll be checking my tire pressure. :-)

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:48 am

Linuxluver wrote:I might worry about this for longer trips, but for my usual around-town driving I barely scratch 50% battery on a busy day.....so optimal range isn't a worry.

But for those runs to a town 120km away to get to a rapid charger......I'll be checking my tire pressure. :-)

I like the handling better at the higher psi too, so that's a consideration as well as tire wear.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”