EVDRIVER

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Please note that those in CA that get the state $5K will most likely be required to claim it as taxable income, so it's not really $5K after you pay taxes on it.
Forum Moderator

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

I could see residents of CA paying sales tax on the whole amount of the car, but I thought the state rebate was exactly that, a rebate on money I've already paid for the car. If they taxed the rebate, wouldn't that be double-taxing? Of course, nothing would surprise me :)

Randy

EVDRIVER

Wed May 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Randy wrote:I could see residents of CA paying sales tax on the whole amount of the car, but I thought the state rebate was exactly that, a rebate on money I've already paid for the car. If they taxed the rebate, wouldn't that be double-taxing? Of course, nothing would surprise me :)

Randy

Just like the solar rebates, they need to be claimed as income. There is a difference between sales tax and income tax of course.
Forum Moderator

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed May 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Does anyone know if the tax credit for the charger carries over? That's where I could loose out, if it doesn't.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 74,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

earther
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0922

Wed May 05, 2010 4:39 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I have read the credit does not forward- the terms are listed on the IRS site I believe. This credit then only favors individuals in certain income brackets. Seems a bit discriminatory.

As a teacher, my salary is low enough that there's NO WAY I'll ever come close to paying $7500 in federal taxes in a single year... not even half that.
However, a tax credit is a tax credit -- I can't really complain about the government incentivizing me to purchase an EV just because rich people are incentivized more.

-Steve

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed May 05, 2010 5:53 pm

earther wrote:As a teacher, my salary is low enough that there's NO WAY I'll ever come close to paying $7500 in federal taxes in a single year... not even half that.
However, a tax credit is a tax credit -- I can't really complain about the government incentivizing me to purchase an EV just because rich people are incentivized more.

-Steve

I'm not sure whether it is just income tax or income tax + payroll taxes.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

EVDRIVER

Thu May 06, 2010 7:32 am

evnow wrote:
earther wrote:As a teacher, my salary is low enough that there's NO WAY I'll ever come close to paying $7500 in federal taxes in a single year... not even half that.

-Steve

I'm not sure whether it is just income tax or income tax + payroll taxes.

I was curious about that- if it applies to any federal taxes I may do some creative IRA flipping or capital gains stuff if needed. Could be interesting. I'm going to research this.
Forum Moderator

chijayhawker

Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 am

EVDRIVER wrote:Please note that those in CA that get the state $5K will most likely be required to claim it as taxable income, so it's not really $5K after you pay taxes on it.

I would double check that. Just like people thought the "Cash for Clunkers" cash was to be treated as taxable income. It wasn't. It was a lie spread by extreme right-wing whack jobs hoping for the failure of the program so that Obama would look bad.

EVDRIVER

Thu May 06, 2010 8:23 am

chijayhawker wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Please note that those in CA that get the state $5K will most likely be required to claim it as taxable income, so it's not really $5K after you pay taxes on it.

I would double check that. Just like people thought the "Cash for Clunkers" cash was to be treated as taxable income. It wasn't. It was a lie spread by extreme right-wing whack jobs hoping for the failure of the program so that Obama would look bad.

I will research this but this comes from the state, all the solar rebates are taxable, the utility rebate, city rebate all had to be claimed as income:( The funniest part of the rebate is that they require your to return a pro-rated amount divided by 36 months if you sell the car before that time period has elapsed. Good luck with the CA DMV tracking that, and then if they could they are going to come after you? Funny rule.
Forum Moderator

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu May 06, 2010 2:13 pm

I agree with EVDRIVER, I'm quite certain the rebate is legally income. As such, it is taxable unless Congress (for the IRS) or the State Legislature (for CA FTB) passes a law to exclude it.

It is also true that you must return a pro-rated amount if you sell the car, terminate the lease, or leave the state, within 36 months. I don't see that it would be hard to track (except possibly the "leave the state" part), since the vehicle must be registered with the CA DMV before you can even apply for the rebate, and must remain registered in CA during the three years.

... Of course actually collecting the excess rebate after you have disappeared could be more difficult. But you might be a very unhappy camper if they do catch up with you, since you would have signed a legal agreement that you would notify them of any change of address.
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”