dm33
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

LEAFStat iPhone/iPad app to monitor battery status etc.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:44 pm

LEAFStat is now available on the iOS app store.

Information on the app is available here. The app is intended as a simplified app displaying only the most essential information. It does not display all the information displayed by Leaf Spy. As I gauge interest, more information will be added, although I'd like to maintain a focus on a streamlined interface.

The following description is copied from the website. Additional information is on the website including OBDii-WiFi adapters its been tested with.

LEAFStat displays valuable information from the 2011-2014 Nissan LEAF all electric vehicle which is not displayed on the dashboard. Information is accessed via the OBDII port and a OBDII to Wifi adapter (required, purchased separately). Displays

• Current battery charge measured in the cars native measure. Termed GIDs, each GID represents roughly 80wh of capacity. Can be used to determine how much range is left.
  • kWh capacity remaining.
  • State of Charge %. This is not the same % displayed on 2013-2014 vehicles dash board. It represents true SOC not accounting for the buffer used at 100% and 0%.
  • Battery capacity. Indicates how much of original intended battery capacity remains. This reported value can vary several % based on recent use and charge characteristics but can give an indicate of battery degradation.
  • Battery state of health. Believed to represent a measure of internal battery resistance that develops over time, indicating how healthy the battery is.
  • Average battery temperature. The LEAF includes 3 or 4 battery temperature probes. This value is the average of the probes. High battery temperature is the primary cause of battery degradation.
  • Tire pressure. Once rolling, the LEAF reports tire pressure down to a 1/4 of a PSI. Vital to know if you have a slow leak or under pressured tires.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: LEAFStat iPhone/iPad app to monitor battery status etc.

Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 am

What iPhone and iPad devices will run this wifi app?

Of these, which is the least expensive?

Congratulations on getting the app listed.
Cheers, Gary
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

dm33

Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 am

garygid wrote:What iPhone and iPad devices will run this wifi app?

Of these, which is the least expensive?

Any iOS device running iOS 7 is compatible. Includes iPhone 5s, 5, 4s, 4, iPad 2, 3, 4, Air, iPod touch etc.

Not sure about least expensive. iPod touch is probably the least expensive new device, or you can use an older ipad 2 or iPhone 4.

Typically however I'd expect people to use their current phone.

epirali
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 418541

Tue May 06, 2014 8:36 am

dm33 wrote:LEAFStat is now available on the iOS app store.

Information on the app is available here. The app is intended as a simplified app displaying only the most essential information. It does not display all the information displayed by Leaf Spy. As I gauge interest, more information will be added, although I'd like to maintain a focus on a streamlined interface.

The following description is copied from the website. Additional information is on the website including OBDii-WiFi adapters its been tested with.

LEAFStat displays valuable information from the 2011-2014 Nissan LEAF all electric vehicle which is not displayed on the dashboard. Information is accessed via the OBDII port and a OBDII to Wifi adapter (required, purchased separately). Displays

• Current battery charge measured in the cars native measure. Termed GIDs, each GID represents roughly 80wh of capacity. Can be used to determine how much range is left.
  • kWh capacity remaining.
  • State of Charge %. This is not the same % displayed on 2013-2014 vehicles dash board. It represents true SOC not accounting for the buffer used at 100% and 0%.
  • Battery capacity. Indicates how much of original intended battery capacity remains. This reported value can vary several % based on recent use and charge characteristics but can give an indicate of battery degradation.
  • Battery state of health. Believed to represent a measure of internal battery resistance that develops over time, indicating how healthy the battery is.
  • Average battery temperature. The LEAF includes 3 or 4 battery temperature probes. This value is the average of the probes. High battery temperature is the primary cause of battery degradation.
  • Tire pressure. Once rolling, the LEAF reports tire pressure down to a 1/4 of a PSI. Vital to know if you have a slow leak or under pressured tires.

Just want to say I grabbed it, been using it since yesterday with one of the wifi OBDC readers listed, and it works great. Many thanks.

dm33

Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 am

epirali wrote:Just want to say I grabbed it, been using it since yesterday with one of the wifi OBDC readers listed, and it works great. Many thanks.

Great! Glad to hear it.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 am

So, all of these WiFi adapters are configured to the same subnet... Are there problems with interference and duplicate IPs in practice?

Any feel for the power consumption of an adapter? All I could find so far is "I've left it plugged in for X days and no problem". Kind of looking for an answer in milliamps.

Edit: ok, references I'm finding are listing .75 watts. That's 18 watt-hours per day or 1.5 amp-hours per day. I think I'll get the one with a switch so I can turn it off if parking for more than a couple of days.
Last edited by Nubo on Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

dm33

Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 am

Nubo wrote:So, all of these WiFi adapters are configured to the same subnet... Are there problems with interference and duplicate IPs in practice?

Any feel for the power consumption of an adapter? All I could find so far is "I've left it plugged in for X days and no problem". Kind of looking for an answer in milliamps.

Each OBDii-WiFi adapter creates its own network. You only connect to one WiFi network. There isn't interference between different adapters regarding IP addresses. The only time you'd have to worry at all is if you were attempting to connect multiple devices to the same OBDii-WiFi adapter which is not typical usage.

I don't know of any measurements on power consumption. They do get warm so its a noticeable power drain. I like having the power switch so I don't have to worry about it and don't run the risk of damaging the OBDii port by repeatedly plugging/unplugging it.

SilverLeaf
Delivery Date: 17 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000516

Fri May 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Broke down and ordered the 2013 Super mini ELM327 WiFi for iPhone OBD-II OBD Can Code, which is a unit validated for use with the LEAFStat app. This is my first entry to OBD-II connectivity.

I will purchase and install the LEAFStat app from the Apple Store upon the units arrival.

Looking forward to getting some useful info from the app soon.

BTW - just purchased a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid (Touring) to complement my LEAF. I am thrilled to be seeing LEAFs in the wild almost every day here in Scottsdale, AZ.
Reserved 4/20/2010
Ordered 9/2/2010
Arrived 4/17/2011
Installed 5.52 kW PV 2/2011
Upgraded PV to 6.9 kW 2/2012
Upgraded PV to 7.59 kW 2/2013

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri May 09, 2014 3:18 pm

SilverLeaf wrote:Broke down and ordered the 2013 Super mini ELM327 WiFi for iPhone OBD-II OBD Can Code, which is a unit validated for use with the LEAFStat app. This is my first entry to OBD-II connectivity. ...

I was just about to also. But... "shipping speed: 17 to 28 business days"?

Uh, no.

update: I figured having a switch wasn't as big a deal as waiting a month and a half for the slow boat from "Jeff-Store". So I'll be trying out this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVV60HI/ref ... 00_TE_item. Fulfilled by Amazon. It's already shipped.

On those rare occasions when I don't drive the car for more than 3 days, I can just disconnect it.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Mx5racer

Mon May 12, 2014 6:01 am

I don't see iit in the App Store
Searching for leafstat
Silver SL
Yorba Linda, CA
5.9 Solar

Return to “LEAF CANBus”