SOC-Meter - Adding Logging Port Issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just posted on my experience in SOC Meter for Logging thread (reproduced, below).
Aside from using a strange soldering iron (as I couldn't find mine), no real issues. Some suggestions, though:
1. cut the hole for the DB-9 connector before drilling for the screws. Once you're satisfied with the location, then drill the screw holes. (Or use a precision milling machine, LOL)
2. Download both the Data Port Upgrade and SOC Meter Wiring Guides--I had trouble replacing the two connectors on the board Ext 1 socket correctly until I got the wiring diagram.

I used wire from an old CAT-5 cable to do the interconnection. I was surprised that just shoving it into the AV board's DB-9 female made enough contact, but it does.

Thanks for making this possible!

Over the weekend, I took the plunge and did the data port installation and upgrade. The instructions were great and one absolutely needs the wiring diagram to be successful. It's not the best installation job in the world as I got a little too zealous with carving the hole for the DB-9 connector (using a combination Dremel tool with grinding bit and razor knife). But my solder joints aren't cold and everything is working great at 115,200 baud. I guess that $40 Gigaware USB to Serial Adapter I got at Radio Shack (in desperation, I might add) paid off. At the end of the day, I made a 15 minute test run covering about 6 miles using CAN-Do V1.52. It was great to see the dashboard changing in real time and the graphs were quite interesting.

The latest Hole Template (.pdf) includes (optional) holes for the optional Logging Port.

The Logging Port Kit includes the larger-gauge solid (not stranded) wire for the Logging Port.

No, not necessary to "fix" something that is working.

The solid wire was just an attempt to have the 3 wires act like
3 pins going into the AVR-CAN board's DB9 (female) connector.

Back