CA Rebate fund gets another $5 million!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulScott

I just called the CA Center for Sustainable Energy, the org designated to hand out the $5,000 CA rebates for EV buyers, and was told the recent budget that (finally!) passed last week added an additional $5,000,000 to the fund. This is great news as it means another 1,000 EVs will get the rebate! Of course, the EV trucks and motorcycles that qualify will use some of that fund, but it should still result on at least an additional 800+ LEAFs getting the $5,000.

WooHoo!

PaulScott said:
I just called the CA Center for Sustainable Energy, the org designated to hand out the $5,000 CA rebates for EV buyers, and was told the recent budget that (finally!) passed last week added an additional $5,000,000 to the fund. This is great news as it means another 1,000 EVs will get the rebate! Of course, the EV trucks and motorcycles that qualify will use some of that fund, but it should still result on at least an additional 800+ LEAFs getting the $5,000.

WooHoo!

Good news, there are more than just Leafs that qualify for the money.

Good news indeed! When will they update this site?

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/cvrp-program-status

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project funding will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding for the Project is expected through 2015, with specific funding amounts determined annually by the Air Resources Board.
Even with 5m added the money will go fast. It will be interesting how the funding goes the next couple years.

Thanks for the good news. I'm counting on that rebate. Without it, the Leaf would exceed my price range. With it, the Leaf is remarkably affordable :D
Doubtless, many others will be glad to know about the extra funding. A lot of EVs will be available soon to take advantage of the funds!

EVDRIVER: Go here for a list of the eligible vehicles: http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/cvrp-eligible-vehicles

There are a few, but not too many are being sold yet. That said, the percentage of the original $4.1 million went from 9% gone to 13% gone this weekend. Then just today, it dropped to 14% gone. Someone's buying some EV trucks, or maybe it's the Teslas that are taking it.

I figure we'll be good for about 1,500 LEAFs.

Me too. It'll make me feel better once they update their site to reflect the additional $5M! I was guessing that the early orders reflected in aug, sept have probably reserved 600 rebates already.

I've now heard that the $20k for E-Trucks also *DOES* come from the fund. This is contrary to some earlier reports. I am updating the thread that tracks the $$ ... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=921
and cross-posting this one there.
(Thanks, Paul for the heads-up.)

I was a major source of the earlier misinformation, and I apologize. Now that I have read the documentation more carefully I see that there are in fact some some restrictions on the amount of money that can go to trucks and motorcycles, but to a first approximation it can be thought of as a single pool.

It sure would be interesting to know what types of vehicles have been getting the money, but I haven't seen any published facts on that. Smith Electric trucks ($20K a pop)? Teslas ($5K)? Vantage vans or Brammo motorcycles ($1.5K)?

We mustn't forget the Honda Clarity ($5K), which counts even though it is hydrogen fuel cell, because the company says they will have leased 200 of them by next year - all in California. That's $1.0M right there.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/faq.aspx
(see final FAQ)

PaulScott said:
EVDRIVER: Go here for a list of the eligible vehicles: http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/cvrp-eligible-vehicles

There are a few, but not too many are being sold yet. That said, the percentage of the original $4.1 million went from 9% gone to 13% gone this weekend. Then just today, it dropped to 14% gone. Someone's buying some EV trucks, or maybe it's the Teslas that are taking it.

I'm fully aware of the present list but that is going to change. There are more hands that will be grabbing at this number so using Leafs to estimate is not exactly accurate. What about the volt, thought that was good for $3K.

EVDRIVER said:
PaulScott said:

I'm fully aware of the present list but that is going to change. There are more hands that will be grabbing at this number so using Leafs to estimate is not exactly accurate. What about the volt, thought that was good for $3K.

The Volt does not qualify for the rebate.

i ordered my leaf a week ago. if i take delivery in april or may, what are the chances there will still be money for the 5K rebate?

From the site home page:

"The program was created from Assembly Bill 118 that was signed by Governor Schwarzenegger in October 2007 and that funds air quality improvement projects through 2015."

I would give anyone 50/50 for a quick payment from the current fund but some may need to wait until next year's (2011/2012) allocation. It would seem to me CA is committed to fund the project for a couple more years.

Check status here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=921

neoplasticity said:
i ordered my leaf a week ago. if i take delivery in april or may, what are the chances there will still be money for the 5K rebate?
Better than 99%, I'd say. As smkettner suggested, it is only a matter of when you get it. If the pot is empty when your application is accepted you will be put in the queue for when it is replenished. Because CA voters passed Prop 25 last month there is a good chance the state will have a budget on time next summer. So even if you miss out on the $5M second round we are discussing here you will probably get in on the third round, possibly by the end of the summer and almost certainly earlier than the $7500 from Uncle Sam.

planet4ever said:
neoplasticity said:
Better than 99%, I'd say. As smkettner suggested, it is only a matter of when you get it. If the pot is empty when your application is accepted you will be put in the queue for when it is replenished. Because CA voters passed Prop 25 last month there is a good chance the state will have a budget on time next summer. So even if you miss out on the $5M second round we are discussing here you will probably get in on the third round, possibly by the end of the summer and almost certainly earlier than the $7500 from Uncle Sam.

I think you're assuming quite a lot there, planet4ever. Though the program runs through 2015, each year's allocation of funds has to be approved in that year's budget. IMHO, nothing is safe from the budget axe.

Back