Got me a leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvu

just took home a 2013 SV + premium + QC $just under 25k miles paid $10100+ tax and licensing for it.

Got it register with the nissan sight but the agent told me I'd need to update my 2g to 3g dongle in order to use the car app. Any idea on how much this is?

dvu said:
just took home a 2013 SV + premium + QC $just under 25k miles paid $10100+ tax and licensing for it.

Got it register with the nissan sight but the agent told me I'd need to update my 2g to 3g dongle in order to use the car app. Any idea on how much this is?
Yay!

As for the latter, we're still wondering about http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=454332#p454332. We still haven't gotten any details about price. Last time I checked, NissanConnect still works for me.

I was able to register the app and been using, perhaps its not completely dead.

First time fully charge, carwing is telling me i have 72 mile range with 12 bars, is that accurate?

dvu said:
.... carwing is telling me i have 72 mile range with 12 bars, is that accurate?
Most of us call that reading the GOM or guess-o-meter, take it for what it is :) It goes off the last several minutes of driving, if going up a hill it will show low, going down a hill it will report high, it's a GOM meter :lol:
You'll probably get a hand of it after a while but instead of the GOM I like to use the SOC(state of charge) display. If I get somewhere and I've used less than 1/2 my charge I figure I'm good for getting back home, of course this would be thrown off if you were mostly downhill there and uphill back but for relatively flat ground it's what I do. I guess you could try and go by the GOM but most of us have found it's very optimistic at first and pessimistic after that, sure to give you range anxiety. Depending on your driving style, speed, wind, heat use, etc. with a 12 bar Leaf you should be able to expect anywhere from 40 miles(very cold and or headwind) up to about 70 under ideal conditions. For summer driving I figure 60+ miles, probably closer to 70 but I like to error on the side of having extra charge than run out.
Good luck with your Leaf I hope it meets or exceeds your needs :)

Thanks for the details Jeff, the commute is 45 miles RT so I hope that woudn't be a problem. In the rain last night driving home 35 miles, my GOM reads 60 miles, when I got home (doing 75-80mph) heated seats and heater running I arrived home with 14 miles on the GOM.

I went out and double check with the OBDII and LeafSpy, Shows 100% charge on car, LeafSpy SOC reads 97.2% SOH=86% HX=84.50

SOC is the health of the battery I assume? So I lost 3% from when new? What's the rest of the info?

The good news is you seem to have enough range for your commute. The bad news is that you will be losing the 12th bar shortly. Your pack has lost about 14% capacity.

Since it's a 2013 (mfg date 6/2013) i that a normal degrade rate of the battery?

On the weekends, once every other week, I have a commute that's about 55-60 miles RT. With this rate, do you think I'll have a problem or should I be looking for charging stations along route?

Well, if you have a fast charge port, a 10 minute coffee break at a DCFC will remove any range anxiety. When we had Ice vehicles we rarely travelled more than 1 hour just because of some minor back issues that get not so minor if I am sitting a long time. Now with electric vehicles we try and incorporate a 5 or 10 minute walk/stop into the trip. No doubt this is probably not the case for many drivers but works for us.

To eliminate day 1 commute of range anxiety, we decided to take the family to commute to the wife's work place (this is her car) 17 miles, when we got there we tested the charger @ her work and it's free as far as I can tell so that's good news. Reset the trip meter and ran our errands then back home which added 28 miles to the trip. Pulling into the driveway, my GOM shows 32 miles of range left. This is with a full load of both me and her as well as the two little ones and a trunk full of stuff. No traffic doing maybe 70-75 on the highway and maybe 10 of those miles was in the inside road.

So far, this car has beat my expectation and countless times as I'm driving I kept on telling the wife for the price we paid and what we'll get out of it is such a bargain. Bare in mind that this comment was from someone who have two Model 3 on reservation and test drove both the Model X and Model S but couldn't find a reason why those vehicles were worth the price take for me to bite the bullet. Also in the last couple weeks drove a Chevy Volt, Prius Prime and a used Prius Plugin. The Prius Plugin was a contender in term of space but it's definitely not as fun to drive. But the Leaf on the other hand make sense in every single way. We never been in one, drove it for 10 minutes and knew right away it was the one. :mrgreen:

dvu said:
LeafSpy SOC reads 97.2% SOH=86% HX=84.50

SOC is the health of the battery I assume? So I lost 3% from when new? What's the rest of the info?
No, SoC is State of Charge. Ignore that.
dvu said:
Since it's a 2013 (mfg date 6/2013) i that a normal degrade rate of the battery?
That's actually very close to mine.

My stats have recently gotten quite a bit worse, possibly due to the lack of deep discharging accompanied by lack of fully charging recently. My used 5/2013 built '13 (south) Bay Area Leaf as of last night was at:
Ahr: 56.70
SOH: 86%
Hx: 84.82%
odo: 39,780 miles

Talk to the wife about her drive this morning and I have to say I'm extremely impressed.

Fully charged @ 72 miles on the GOM, stuck in traffic but saved 30 minutes of drive time on the HOV lane but the huge deal was after she got to work and still have 70 miles of range. That's amazing. Her GOM predict 82 miles of range now after the free charging @ work for an hour.

dvu said:
To eliminate day 1 commute of range anxiety, we decided to take the family to commute to the wife's work place (this is her car) 17 miles, when we got there we tested the charger @ her work and it's free as far as I can tell so that's good news. Reset the trip meter and ran our errands then back home which added 28 miles to the trip. Pulling into the driveway, my GOM shows 32 miles of range left. This is with a full load of both me and her as well as the two little ones and a trunk full of stuff. No traffic doing maybe 70-75 on the highway and maybe 10 of those miles was in the inside road.

So far, this car has beat my expectation and countless times as I'm driving I kept on telling the wife for the price we paid and what we'll get out of it is such a bargain. Bare in mind that this comment was from someone who have two Model 3 on reservation and test drove both the Model X and Model S but couldn't find a reason why those vehicles were worth the price take for me to bite the bullet. Also in the last couple weeks drove a Chevy Volt, Prius Prime and a used Prius Plugin. The Prius Plugin was a contender in term of space but it's definitely not as fun to drive. But the Leaf on the other hand make sense in every single way. We never been in one, drove it for 10 minutes and knew right away it was the one. :mrgreen:
Congratulations and welcome! Yup, I recommend used Leafs to anyone for a 2nd car, and especially those waiting for the 2017-2018? Tesla Model 3.

Got me a Leaf (Black Friday 16) as well. Top model 2013 about 32k miles one capacity bar missing. I didn't get as good a deal as you about 11.5k maybe thats the miles but I thought it was fair based on all the research.

I mainly got this because VW is doing the buy back on my diesel and have to other ICE vehicles. My commute it also about 43 miles round trip. Honestly I wasn't ready for the range anxiety. It seems to be calming down as adjust my thinking. I have chargers at work, while not free they are very reasonable. I'm figuring about 10k miles per year.

Also went and drove the Tesla's, I just can't part with 75k but it was amazing. Hopefully in a few years I get the Model 3.

Ordered a JuiceBoxPro and the electrician is coming today.

Which ODB2 bluetooth adapter did you or anyone else get for the LeafSpy? I have seen different people with different takes and would like to get one with a confirmed good. I'm mainly an IOS user if that is useful.

I also bought a Leaf in anticipation of VW buying back my Jetta diesel. I bought a Georgia lease-return 2014 with 21k miles on it, for $11,250. All 12 bars are showing, and on a full charge it shows about 94 miles on the GOM. I have actually driven it 93 miles,and pulled into the garage with about 6% remaining on the SOC display. I don't plan on making a habit of that!! :)
The more I drive this car, the less my range anxiety gets. I drove 43 miles into the valley yesterday, outside temperatures 18*, and got home with 30% remaining, after using the heater and defroster freely for the trip. Just plan for it.
I love the quiet, comfort, and surprisingly luxurious feel of a (originally) $30k electric.
We also have a VW Tiguan ICE if the need arises for longer trips, but it has only been gassed up once in the last three months.

craig said:
I also bought a Leaf in anticipation of VW buying back my Jetta diesel. I bought a Georgia lease-return 2014 with 21k miles on it, for $11,250. All 12 bars are showing, and on a full charge it shows about 94 miles on the GOM. I have actually driven it 93 miles,and pulled into the garage with about 6% remaining on the SOC display. I don't plan on making a habit of that!! :)
The more I drive this car, the less my range anxiety gets. I drove 43 miles into the valley yesterday, outside temperatures 18*, and got home with 30% remaining, after using the heater and defroster freely for the trip. Just plan for it.
I love the quiet, comfort, and surprisingly luxurious feel of a (originally) $30k electric.
We also have a VW Tiguan ICE if the need arises for longer trips, but it has only been gassed up once int he last three months.

I'm from SC and planning on coming over to Atlanta this weekend to pickup a used leaf. I'm curious what your SOH looks like on the 2014 with 21k Miles. Have you checked it with leafspy?

I know this is off topic, but I cannot figure out how to open a new one:
The Leaf battery pack is air cooled, and electrically heated right? How does that work?

Hi, new member. Just bought a 2013 Leaf S with 4,400 miles. Recently retired engineer. I will have lots of questions! Thanks in advance.

craig said:
I know this is off topic, but I cannot figure out how to open a new one:
The Leaf battery pack is air cooled, and electrically heated right? How does that work?
Yes air cooled, which is why in very hot areas like TX or AZ the batteries seem to degrade faster, and for heated at least the '12s and beyond have a battery heater that will kick in when the battery gets extremely cold(20 below F??) the battery heater doesn't come on in even normally cold temps of above zero F and yes if the vehicle is not plugged in it will still heat, robbing power from the battery. For this reason it's suggested to plug your Leaf in if it's to be stored in extremely cold temps for all but a short time.

The battery heater is like a heating pad attached to the pack housing. It only uses 300 watts, IIRC. It also only comes on when the pack (not the air temp) is at about 6F.

Back