ruly1000
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 412020

First things I should do after buying a used Leaf

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Just purchased a used 2013 SV with 25K miles, I pick it up in a few days when it's ready. What are the things I should do or have done to it right away? What should I know about or be aware of? I'm sure this has been discussed already but can't find the forum entries, if someone could direct me I'd greatly appreciate it, TIA.

For example I believe there is a Nissan Connect (formerly Carwings?) upgrade that needs to be done by a dealer, is that correct? Is it necessary given I also understand the 2013 Leaf relies on AT&T's 2G network which is going away at the end of 2016. Are these related (Nissan Connect and the 2G network)? I've heard about an app that I can install on my Android phone to remote control some stuff on the Leaf, what's the app? Is it the same thing as Nissan Connect (Carwings)? Does it need the 2G network to work? How do I sign up for Nissan Connect? Should I sign up?

I hear there is a $189 map update for the Navigation, should I do that? Especially for the locations of charge stations? Is the nav going to be more and more useless as times goes on? Should I just forget about it and use Google Maps on my phone?

I know there is one open recall that needs to be taken care of for this car (already being done). The used car dealer I bought it from (Platt Auto Group in Portland, OR) is taking it to the Nissan dealer to get the recall done. Are there any TSBs or other work I should/could have done or should be aware of?

Sorry for all the questions. Looking forward to picking up my Leaf. :)

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: First things I should do after buying a used Leaf

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Charge the 12 volt accessory battery, after measuring its resting voltage. You may or may not need to do that regularly. You will want to add a hardwired connection for an external charger/maintainer if you want to be able to just leave the car plugged in when not charging for significant lengths of time. If the 12 volt battery is the original one, replace it. If you want remote access to the car via Nissan Connect after next week, get the $199 modem upgrade. That will keep the functionality of Connect. Whether or not you'll need LeafSpy (which works via a Bluetooth adapter, not via Connect) depends on how much of the car's range you need to use.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

IBeLeaf2
Delivery Date: 20 Feb 2014
Leaf Number: 331893

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:13 pm

ruly1000 wrote:Just purchased a used 2013 SV with 25K miles, I pick it up in a few days when it's ready.
I hear there is a $189 map update for the Navigation, should I do that? Especially for the locations of charge stations? Is the nav going to be more and more useless as times goes on? Should I just forget about it and use Google Maps on my phone?

I use both, but generally the Navi works well for me.
There are a few places I've gone where the navigation isn't correct. And I've gone down some dead end roads following the directions as well. But Google Maps can be wrong as well.
The thing is, if I care enough I can actually get it changed on Google. And they update for free. There is no guaranty that buying that update will correct all errors. I haven't and won't spend the money on that.

Within the CarWings menu there is a place to update charging stations in your area. In fact, I updated mine before a recent trip and it add 8 new ones.
ruly1000 wrote:Are these related (Nissan Connect and the 2G network)?

Yes
I felt it was important to get the 3G TCU update as I use the preheat and check on charging especially in these Maine winters.
Lots to read here about the 3G replacement.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573&start=220
Blue SV mfg. 1/14
54,600 miles on 4/4/17, 2315 L2, 145 QC
12 bars 284 GIDS 22kWh 66.904AHr 100%SOH 102.82Hx 395.91V
daily travel 15-125 miles, most months include 200+mile days
TOU rate plan, usually charge to 100% overnight.
4.5KW solar, 20kWh backup

paulcone
Delivery Date: 21 Oct 2015

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:54 pm

ruly1000 wrote:I hear there is a $189 map update for the Navigation, should I do that? Especially for the locations of charge stations? Is the nav going to be more and more useless as times goes on? Should I just forget about it and use Google Maps on my phone?

The built-in nav is terrible -- clunky to operate and I always forget where the stop navigation button is. Plus you it won't route you around traffic. Just get a smart phone mount and stick it in the AC vent. You can still get the audio from the navigation into the car speakers via bluetooth.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:45 am

What I would do with any new "used" car.. Get the state inspection, check brakes and suspension. Have them check all fluid levels. Get a 4 wheel alignment, so you know all wheels are driving straight. Fill washer fluid

Get the LEAFSPY app on your phone, and a Bluetooth plug that connects to the underdash computer with the OBDII plug.

other than that, nothing to do,....

Firetruck41
Leaf Number: 408264

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:13 am

I use my phone for nav and plugshare app on my phone for charging locations, so I haven't updated the maps. The modem upgrade is an option if you think you will use it, I don't really use it much, so I am on the fence about upgrading my own.
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Do not get the $189 upgrade for the built-in Nav Maps. You will be happier using your phone.

The list of known charging stations is updated via "CarWings", which the Nissan Connect EV app also talks to. Your car probably only has the 2G radio in it, which will stop functioning at the end of this month. Get the upgrade to the 3G radio for the $199 co-pay. (as mentioned above I see).

Finally, put tape over the dashboard range display (unaffectionately known as the guess-o-meter or GOM) or learn to never look at it again.
Get LeafSpyPro for your phone and an appropriate OBD-II dongle.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

sub3marathonman
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2012

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 am

The very first thing I would do after buying a used LEAF would be to open the hood, look to the left and right for the little plastic covers over what I think are the front struts, take the plastic covers off, get all the water out that is sitting in there, and then clean off the rust as much as possible and put grease on to at least slow down the continuation of rust there.

I think this will eventually be a major safety issue, as to me it looks like the threaded strut, depending on where it rusts out at, will eventually be weakened so much and break. I wish more people would complain and/or open a case with Nissan. (I admit I haven't opened a case either with Nissan, never get around to doing it.)

I can't take credit for discovering this, somebody else on the forum mentioned it, complete with pictures, but I can't find it right now.

Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:07 am

sub3marathonman wrote:The very first thing I would do after buying a used LEAF would be to open the hood, look to the left and right for the little plastic covers over what I think are the front struts, take the plastic covers off, get all the water out that is sitting in there, and then clean off the rust as much as possible and put grease on to at least slow down the continuation of rust there.

I think this will eventually be a major safety issue, as to me it looks like the threaded strut, depending on where it rusts out at, will eventually be weakened so much and break. I wish more people would complain and/or open a case with Nissan. (I admit I haven't opened a case either with Nissan, never get around to doing it.)

I can't take credit for discovering this, somebody else on the forum mentioned it, complete with pictures, but I can't find it right now.

Well, that's new info for me. I will have to check that out on mine.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

rdhauser
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5287

Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:03 am

No one has mentioned charging yet. If you have the facility, install a 240v plug in the garage. Then buy a level 2 (240v) EVSE to plug into it. Also, you might want to purchase an upgrade of the original equipment charging cord supplied by Nissan. It's limited to 110v, but manufactured to supply much more than that. You can purchase a third party upgrade that changes the internals of the charge control circuits at places like http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=products_all.

You mentioned charging stations. Most require a membership contract where you choose payment option. We have cards for Blink, NrgGO, Av and some other supplier I can't think of at the moment.

On you home computer (and perhaps your mobile) get the plug share app. It does a reasonable job of updating charging stations in your area.

Then you'll have to start managing "range anxiety". As with all things LEAF this forum has some good discussions about dealing with it. Batteries don't provide as much power at low temp. They also break down faster at high temp. Heating the car uses lots of electricity. In My 2011 it's the worst.

Enjoy the car, their fun to own.
Dick
Carwings Name OlyLeaf
Glacier Pearl SLe 005287.
Reserved 4/21/10, Ordered 1/1/11, BLINKed 6/14/11, Delivered 7/5/11, Reserve deposit Refunded 7/8/11.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”