New '17 Leaf, couple questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneday

Hi all!

Bought a '17 Leaf SL on Dec. 31. So far we are ecstatic, the car is fantastic. We are moving to a new house Feb. 1 so we can't really charge at home until I install a charger at our new house. Thanks to the EZ charge, no charge to charge, card that has not been a problem at all. In fact, to our amazement, less than a half mile from our house are two ChaDemo and J-1772 chargers. That leads me to my first question.

1. How much will it degrade my battery if I only charge with Chademo? We've put about 400 miles on our car so far and have used the fast charging Chademo for 99% of all of our electricity. If it's not a big deal the location of this Chademo station in conjunction with the nctc card, I could use it for 90% of my electricity needs. The fast charge is great!!

2. Everyone seems to recommend the Clipper Creek charger but this one, JuiceBox 40A EV Charger / Home Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station with 24' Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4D6SJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RA-BybGN3BJQ4 (Juicebox 40amp j1772) seems like a better deal to me. And it's exterior grade, and since I won't have a garage at my new house :( :( :( I need an exterior grade charger. What do you all think?

3. Accessories? What do you all recommend? I ordered weathertech mats for the front. Am thinking about Xpel or possibly 3m for the front and side mirrors. I have the Bose sound but honestly might want to look into adding another sub, not sure how or where though. And it might be overkill. Any ever must have or great add-on/ accessories out there?

4. I have the Nissan Connect app working. I love being able to preheat my car in the morning! I saw something about being able to connect your phone to share your phones data with the car? I am on IPhone 7, when I click on the in car Nissan Connect apps, the google app is grayed out. Not sure what to do here. Connecting my iPhone via USB doesn't seem to help. When I select google it says please install the Connect app on your smartphone which I've already done.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble. Glad to be a new Leaf owner and these forums have already provided a great resource

To answer one question: charging to 80% with QC in cool or cold Winter weather won't hurt the battery. It's hot weather that should concern you. If it's actually cold out, you can also charge to 100% with the QC station, as long as you aren't tying it up while others wait. Just don't leave it sitting at 100% for more than a few hours.

Regarding question 3 in order of priority
(1) Leaf spy and dongle
Very handy for monitoring battery specs and usable range, also charging rate and tire pressure.
(2) Spare tire and jack
Depending on size (mine are 17" as I think yours are) from a junkyard Altima early 80's model. The 16.5" I use is very close to the 17"s. There are threads on this forum indicating offset and hub size.
(3) Window visors
https://www.wellvisors.com/product/3-847ns013.html
They worked great on my 13, waiting for warm weather to re-install on my 16. You will have to supplement the leading edges with better double sided tape. Scotch outdoor extreme works well.
(4) Dual voltage/higher amperage portable evse
Depending on your usage will provide faster charging at R.V. lots, campgrounds etc.
I held on to my evse ( swapped my 13 model with the 16 model that came with the 16 Leaf) when I traded it in, of course I did let the sales dept. know and they had no problem with it.
I plan on upgrading it later, the newer models come with smaller wires and can't be upgraded to 20 amp 240V.

I stumbled across this article about Quick Charge degradation:

http://insideevs.com/idaho-national-laboratory-dc-quick-charging-nissan-leaf-doesnt-kill-battery/

Essentially the degradation is negligible, ~2.5% more degradation after 40K miles when solely using the Quick Charge compared to Level 2. What seemed to matter the most was the battery temperature. Heat above 100 degrees is not a friend to the Nissan Leaf battery.

Back