BeckyinVT
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2017

Driving my CPO Leaf 233 miles home

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Here's my "I tried the search, but didn't find anything, but if I missed a similar conversation please link me to it" disclaimer.

Ok, got that out of the way. Now here's my scenario: I just bought a certified-preowned 2013 SL with 17k miles and 12 bar capacity (bose sound system, 360 cameras, red (my favorite) - as far as I can tell this one has every option.) None of the dealers near me have any used Leafs of any kind - so while I am in VT my new car is over 200 miles away from me in MA.

I *think* I've got my route home planned out. But I'm looking for any good suggestions, things I should keep an eye on, concerns from more experienced drivers who have done road trips with multiple charge stops.

The sales guy I worked with drives these cars daily. He told me that between inexperience and cold temps I shouldn't plan on driving more than 50 miles between charges. My current route is 39 miles (non-interstate) to an L2 charge (a good lunch stop) and then 49 miles to my parents. There I'll have an overnight charge at a wall outlet. Next comes a 36 mile drive, an L2 at a B&B, Then a 52 mile jump to a stop that has a quick charger and an L2. This does include some time on the interstate, but I'm not afraid of going 50 or 55mph if that's what I've got to do to make it. The next run is another 50 miles and THAT is on an interstate that involves some hills (hilly Vermont, but no mountains).

Does that seem reasonable? Am I pushing my luck? There are no chargers on the 52 mile stretch at all. I'd have to go 20 miles off the interstate to find one. I can do that if I have to, but ugh.

Once I get the car home there are chargers everywhere. That and I only drive about 5-10 miles a day. The car will be perfect for me, assuming I can get it home...
Red 2013 SL, bought used in 2017 with 17k

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Driving my CPO Leaf 233 miles home

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Sounds like a plan and a nice trip !
You may want to hook up LeafSpy before you take off to know how much capacity a full battery has. 12 bars can be about 20 kWh when new, or as low as 17 kWh before the 1st capacity bar drops off.
Bring along warm clothes and gloves, and emergency stuff in case things go awry.
Find out how many Amps your L2 charge stations supply. Might be as low as 16 Amps, or as many as the LEAF can handle (30 ish)

At the parents: Be sure you are not sharing the circuit with any other appliances, and try to verify that the circuit is on a 15 Amp breaker. That way you can charge at 12 Amps. You may have to set the LEAF EVSE or the car for 12 Amps -- I am not sure

Another alternative is to check out the car trailers that U-haul rent out for a week if you have access to a car with a hitch. That was my plan had I ended up with a LEAF 250 miles from home.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

eastocean
Delivery Date: 11 Oct 2013

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:03 pm

It sounds doable, but be prepared to worry about range, and practice mental math all the way.. ALL new owners do so. As you get more experience, you will find it more comfortable.

I have a friend who drove his Leaf from Atlanta to Delaware.. He said he found dealerships were almost the perfect distance apart. (760 miles)

My suggestions:
Every week, I drive 42 miles, on flat ground, at 55-57 most of the miles on what compares to a freeway & 6 miles in a city. . I use 50-60% of the total battery capacity on that trip. I charge to at least 10 bars before heading back. I can make it home at 65 if I am fully charged, but that leaves little margin. I always plan my trips not to get into the last 2 bars, but many people do go that far.

Download, if you haven't, Plugshare, Chargepoint, and whatever chargers are common in you area. Plugshare is crowdsourced, and private folks may be on it, as well as L1 wall plugs.

Try and keep the speed in the interstate to 55.. I get about 3.8 miles /KWH in cold weather on flat ground at 55 with no headwind.

Also, I find I get better mileage with cruise control on.

Start each segment charged to 90%-100 %, it will make you feel better.

The heater may take 5 - 8 miles off range.

We don't have hills here, so I can't comment.. I have an app, Nissan Leaf Range Estimator, which does a good estimate, based on speed, elevation change (google map based) and temperature. My version is for the 24Kwh battery.

Have fun, and enjoy the quiet of the car.. THat is the best thing at 55.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Next comes a 36 mile drive, an L2 at a B&B, Then a 52 mile jump to a stop that has a quick charger and an L2. This does include some time on the interstate, but I'm not afraid of going 50 or 55mph if that's what I've got to do to make it. The next run is another 50 miles and THAT is on an interstate that involves some hills (hilly Vermont, but no mountains).

Does that seem reasonable? Am I pushing my luck? There are no chargers on the 52 mile stretch at all. I'd have to go 20 miles off the interstate to find one. I can do that if I have to, but ugh.

* Make sure that the car has QC before planning on using a QC station. ;-) I think it was standard on the SL in 2013, but verify that.

* Keep in mind that to get back to 100% may take two hours at the QC station, because of tapering after 80%.

* Remember that if temps are below roughly 35F the heater will start to pull more juice. More still below 26F or so, and a horrendous amount below 15F or so. I'd bring a 12 volt electric blanket to wear so the heat can be lowered a lot if necessary.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Aside from the earlier excellent advice on getting and using LeafSpy and Plugshare, if you haven't already seen it, check out Tony Williams various range charts:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295

The only other tip I'd mention is that when planning these sorts of extended trips, make sure to have an alternative "Plan B" charging stop available unless you are 100% certain of a spots reliability.

Good Luck!

eastocean
Delivery Date: 11 Oct 2013

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:07 pm

BTW, I own the same 2013 SL in Ocean Blue, also with 17K miles.. Knowing my car, and given your planning, I think you are fine. I have done 150 miles in a day with 2 stops.

L2 chargers will deliver about 20 miles per hour of charging. With the tapering at 80%, it takes about 2.5 -3 hours to 100% from 50% initial charge.
Last edited by eastocean on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Ah yes, plug-share!
I think they have a smartphone app

I offer L2 charging from my home to fellow EV'ers at up to 10 kW (thus 6.6 kW to your car), and with a bit of luck you can find people of a like mind along your route. You may want to drive on the weekend since home chargers are often by appointment
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

BeckyinVT
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2017

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone for reviewing my plan!

My SL does have QC, so I'm good there. I have the PlugShare App, plus ChargePoint and SemaConnect as those seem to be the two in my area. The chargers I'm looking at using all have lots of positive reviews. Except for the B&B which is a bit out of the way, but they say to call first anyway so I'll do that for certain. I have plan B chargers at/near every stop except that B&B...

I will look into the leaf range estimator app. And warm blankets! I don't think I can get the LeafSpy dongle thing by Friday, so as much as that's probably good advice I'll be learning the finer points by experience on this trip!
Red 2013 SL, bought used in 2017 with 17k

webfootguy
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2016

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Not mentioned, but I would add that your first stop should be to pump up all 4 tires to 44 psi cold before the trip. Tire pressure makes a big difference in range even with low rolling resistance tires.
2016 SL with Premium Package 3 year lease on 03-25-2016.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 pm

webfootguy wrote:Not mentioned, but I would add that your first stop should be to pump up all 4 tires to 44 psi cold before the trip. Tire pressure makes a big difference in range even with low rolling resistance tires.

Or if you may encounter bad roads, 40-42psi. If the car has Ecopia tires on it they will be slippery, especially at higher pressures.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”