RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Re: Electrician says I should find out what EVSE Nissan recommends

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 pm

ByeFO wrote:Today he stated that he has heard of car manufacturers not honoring warranty on battery if an EVSE that is being used is not on a list of recommended ones.

Is this true with Nissan? Is there such a list of recommended EVSE? Or is there a list of specifications that an EVSE must have in order to avoid voiding a warranty?

It doesn't void the warranty per se, and the Leaf gets along well with just about every J1772 EVSE in existence. But as an eGolf owner, I can tell you that my car doesn't always interface well with every EVSE, and that includes the well-regarded Clipper Creek line. Specifically, if you use the timer setting (necessary if you want less than full charge), the car does not successfully communicate to the EVSE to start charging. If you don't use timers, it works fine.

It's ironic as the OEM L1 that comes with every new eGolf sold in the US is a Delphi-branded Clipper Creek unit and works fine.

The issue with warranty is when you complain to your local VW service center about the problem, they plug the car into the VW recommended Bosch unit and it works fine, so they won't "fix" the problem which on the 2015 models at least means replacing some parts.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

ByeFO
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 407834

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:01 am

I found a Nissan USA website - https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars ... /charging/ - that simply says you can use a Level 2 EVSE that are sold by various retailers, with a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +2+charger.
2013 (4/2013) Pearl White SV LED/QC package

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:20 am

I remember that the JUICEBOX chargers were not UL listed.... Which for me was a deal breaker because if they want to make money, they need to spend some money with that certification like every other good quality electrical device. Otherwise I wont buy it... YES! I just checked the website, and the famous "JuiceBox" only has CE, nema, and sae compliance... NO UL compliance...

Basically, this level of certification appears to be the same as the cheap Harborfreight or "POWERFIST" Canadian power tool brands..

Here is a link to this issue discussed.::

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16705

Apparently this is a very small company, staffed by a few guys. They may be top notch, buy why would I buy from a tiny business that does not have the certifications that that other BIG NAME items have.... Especially since they are not giving them away. They are the same price or more than the top names... Personally, I think that too many people are attracted by the cool name... "JUICEBOX"... two of men's favorite things..

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 am

powersurge wrote:I remember that the JUICEBOX chargers were not UL listed.... Which for me was a deal breaker because if they want to make money, they need to spend some money with that certification like every other good quality electrical device. Otherwise I wont buy it... YES! I just checked the website, and the famous "JuiceBox" only has CE, nema, and sae compliance... NO UL compliance...

Basically, this level of certification appears to be the same as the cheap Harborfreight or "POWERFIST" Canadian power tool brands..

Here is a link to this issue discussed.::

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16705

Apparently this is a very small company, staffed by a few guys. They may be top notch, buy why would I buy from a tiny business that does not have the certifications that that other BIG NAME items have.... Especially since they are not giving them away. They are the same price or more than the top names... Personally, I think that too many people are attracted by the cool name... "JUICEBOX"... two of men's favorite things..
UL Cert is no panacea for quality manufacturing, and it is expensive. The big companies tow the line because they want to sell commercially, and that usually requires certifications. So it works out that a leading quality company will certify ... <<shrug>>

I bought a Clipper Creek because they are a quality company. The UL cert only meant something to me because it was required for my 2016 tax credit. As a counter example, I will probably buy a mobile EVSE from EVSEupgrade.com and could not care less that his work is not UL certified.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”